disapproved efile

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

disapproved efile

Post by jdasilva »

my efile was disapproved because it had the incorrect trust name.

I had put an amendment that changed it & have several stamps approved under that amended name.

I left a message for Jason Bowers today but it's upsetting. No alert, no call to address my issue.

Is there anything else I can do or anyone I can call to get this addressed?
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Re: disapproved efile

Post by propeine »

Ted Clutter

If you get it figured out what they want to see, file a new form and send him an email with both control numbers he should be able to get you turned around quickly. First you might try emailing him to see if you can get the existing one approved though. You'll have to wait a while for the refund if they can't fix it outright though.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

I sent him an email but haven't received a response. This whole thing makes me nervous because I have 4 form 4's pending.

If I mess up, the ATF sends it back
If they mess up, they send it back
Can't catch a break with them
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

There are no warnings or anything either it is approved or it is disapproved.

System would slow to a halt if they did warnings and tried to get ahold of everyone individually. I heard one figure last year that they deal with over 600 denials a month on a slow month, thats alot of people to play phone-tag with.

Give them a little time to respond to your email, you are not the only person they are dealing with and it takes time to deal with every issue.

I wouldn't worry about your Form4's unless your SOT is incompetent.
SUB-MG
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SUB-MG »

I have seen a few correction letters and disapproved form 4's due to trust over the last few months. They seem to be losing the copies of the trust that were sent with the form 4's during the long wait period. Some of the examiners include their e-mail address with the correction letter which allows us to send them a copy of the trust quickly so they can get the approved form 4 in the mail. I just received a couple disapproved form 4's for a customer due to missing trust (which was sent with the form 4's) and they did not even send a correction letter. They typically give you 30 days to make corrections listed on the correction letter.
B&R Guns
FFL/SOT
Lees Summit, MO
http://WWW.BRGUNS.COM
goloud

Post by goloud »

jdasilva wrote:my efile was disapproved because it had the incorrect trust name.

I had put an amendment that changed it & have several stamps approved under that amended name.

I left a message for Jason Bowers today but it's upsetting. No alert, no call to address my issue.

Is there anything else I can do or anyone I can call to get this addressed?
I had the exact same thing happen to me.

Received a Disapproved email. I sent a polite email to Ted with my control number, a brief description of the issue and the page number of my amendment of the trust name.

10 minutes later the status was changed to Approved.

Now when I submit my forms, the Amedment page is the first page of the trust. So far, so good.
Pete - The Firearm Blog
Price

Post by Price »

Bendersquint wrote:There are no warnings or anything either it is approved or it is disapproved.

System would slow to a halt if they did warnings and tried to get ahold of everyone individually. I heard one figure last year that they deal with over 600 denials a month on a slow month, thats alot of people to play phone-tag with.

Give them a little time to respond to your email, you are not the only person they are dealing with and it takes time to deal with every issue.

I wouldn't worry about your Form4's unless your SOT is incompetent.

Like he said.

The latest e-file ATF newsletter says that there is no correcting an e-file, it's either approved or disapproved. But that assumes user error. If they made a mistake and missed your amendment, I'm sure they will correct it if you contact them.

From the newsletter page 9:

ATF cannot emphasize enough that any submitter must ensure that the application is correct. We cannot make any changes to a submitted application so the pro-cessing for an eForm application is different from the processing of a paper application. This is especially true for the NFA applications. A paper application can be sent back for correction and returned to us – however, an eForm application cannot be corrected. It must be disap-proved. The applicant will have to submit an entirely new application with the corrected information and a new tax payment (the tax paid for the disapproved form will be refunded). If you have any question about the completion of the form, use the Ask the Experts function with the eForms system.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

Both Ted Clutter & Jason Bowers contacted me by email.

Jason apologized for his mistake but I still had to resubmit the form 1.

He said that he would approve it immediately once i emailed him the new control number.

I submitted it about 30 min ago but have not been approved yet, i'm sure he'll get to it sometime today.

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate the feedback & I'm looking forward to choppin this baby down! :)
mhidpa
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mhidpa »

Question for you guys that have amended your trust name. Did you already have NFA stuff that was marked with the old name or previously approved form 4s under the old name? If so how does that work. I was thinking about amending my Trust to a shorter name but I already have 2 form 4s and a form1 so I don't want to screw that up.
plant.one

Post by plant.one »

tagged to follow. i'm also interested in a trust name amendment due to a stupidly foolish mistake of making it excessively long
goloud

Post by goloud »

Unfortunately you need to engrave the name that is on your approved form 1. So you can't amend the trust name after approval and engrave the new name.
Pete - The Firearm Blog
mhidpa
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mhidpa »

What about subsequent approvals? My form 1can is already marked. I'd like to shorten my stupid long trust name for future Form 1s.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

mhidpa wrote:What about subsequent approvals? My form 1can is already marked. I'd like to shorten my stupid long trust name for future Form 1s.
Time to talk with your NFA trust attorney.
goloud

Post by goloud »

mhidpa wrote:What about subsequent approvals? My form 1can is already marked. I'd like to shorten my stupid long trust name for future Form 1s.
I'm not an attorney or providing any legal advice, but with a properly amended trust and an approved Form 1 with a new trust name, you should be good to go.

As above, consult an attorney.
Pete - The Firearm Blog
Price

Post by Price »

Bendersquint wrote:

What he said. When you are talking to your attorney, ask if it would be more cost effective to set up a second NFA Trust. If it's a duplicate of the first one, just with a shorter name, that may serve your purpose.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

I already had 2 silencers when I amended it. My attorney had put "____" revocable living trust.

That's way too long to engrave on a firearm in my opinion so I drew up an amendment & had it notorized with one of my trustees.

I had another 5 or 6 nfa items approved before mine was disapproved. So lesson learned is to put the amendment first.

You can change the name of your trust after your weapon was engraved because the trust still shows the original name. I would not re-engrave it because it's not under the new name.

If really concerned, make a new trust. There are no legal ramifications of having multiple trusts.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

I'd just copy & paste. The only things that are going to be different are the Trust name & Schedule A. No need to spend more money for a copy

Price wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

What he said. When you are talking to your attorney, ask if it would be more cost effective to set up a second NFA Trust. If it's a duplicate of the first one, just with a shorter name, that may serve your purpose.