sarasota Fla sheriff dept. will not sign to allow class 3

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

edteach
Senior Silent Operator

sarasota Fla sheriff dept. will not sign to allow class 3

Post by edteach »

I moved to Fla. several years ago and was thinking about getting a 9mm suppressor. I went into the local shop and asked about a suppressor and was told that I had to do a trust. That the local Sheriff would not sign to allow class 3. Never heard of that but I do not buy a lot of class 3 and have only done it in Kansas. Anyone else had any problems?
DOGON
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Re: sarasota Fla sheriff dept. will not sign to allow class 3

Post by Kanook »

Considering it is legal to hunt with a suppressor in Florida now, I'm willing to bet the Sheriff is going to get tiredmof telling people to form a trust.

Form the trust, it make the transaction a lot simpler.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

IMO trust is a better route. It allows for other people that you choose to be in care and use of your NFA items even if you are not present without potentially creating an illegal "transfer" and it also allows you to pass your items on to the person of your choosing if you should die. We all like to think of death as something far off, but you never know when your time will come. For me, trust was the only way to go
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

Might ask the sheriff.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Is not an uncommon problem other places ... and the reason that many went the Trust route.

Trusts do have some advantages in that members of the trust can legally possess. The near term problem is that BATFE is considering a change in their requirements that would mean all members of Trusts would have to have CLEO signatures for a purchase. Is known as 41P. Has been out for comment and results being reviews. Is thought that it might go into effect in May 2015.

The problem is known ... and some places are working on "shall sign" legislation. In WV this has been passed by the WV House and Senate. Senate amended the bill to make it more challenging for a CLEO to refuse to sign so bill has to go to conference. Am hoping this works out!
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Do you live in "city limits"? If so, talk to the Chief of Police. See if he will sign, IF you chose not to form a trust. My SO will sign, but he advised me to talk to the CoP first, and if that route was a no go, he would be happy to sign. CLEO signatures are NOT limited to the SD.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Some State AG's will also sign if the SO or CoP won't.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Unfortunately being in a gun friendly state doesn't necessarily mean squat when it comes to NFA toys. The CLEO in Orlando (Orange county) does not sign off either.
AirCavBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by AirCavBob »

A judge can sign for you, if you can get to one that is. Make some phone calls. Wouldn't hurt.
01 FFL Class III SOT
South Central Kansas
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

That's why more people should push for "Shall Sign" legislation in their states of their elected officials
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

quiettime wrote:IMO trust is a better route. It allows for other people that you choose to be in care and use of your NFA items even if you are not present without potentially creating an illegal "transfer" and it also allows you to pass your items on to the person of your choosing if you should die. We all like to think of death as something far off, but you never know when your time will come. For me, trust was the only way to go
This point is moot. Personal transfers can transfer to an heir tax-free when you die.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Not moot. My wife and kids would not know how to fill out all those forms. They would have to hire some attorney to figure it all out, and probably never would figure it out.

It would be much better to just have them as trustees.

After all, NFA would be a lot more popular if people knew how to do it.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

silencertalk wrote:Not moot. My wife and kids would not know how to fill out all those forms. They would have to hire some attorney to figure it all out, and probably never would figure it out.

It would be much better to just have them as trustees.

After all, NFA would be a lot more popular if people knew how to do it.
Fill them out as far as you can before hand. Not a big deal if you tell them about it and have things RTG. To me, it is moot.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If transfers are banned in the future, you could probably sell the whole trust.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

silencertalk wrote:After all, NFA would be a lot more popular if people knew how to do it.
+1 I would have had cans and sbr's years ago had I known how simple a trust makes it. I stand by my comments
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

rimshaker wrote:Unfortunately being in a gun friendly state doesn't necessarily mean squat when it comes to NFA toys. The CLEO in Orlando (Orange county) does not sign off either.
yea i live in houston texas and out sherrif wont sign off. so went around him i did. its pretty entertaining atleast for the short term they think they are keeping people from owning things. but the trust also allows my father, mom and i to posses them. I mainly wanted it incase somthing happened to me so my mother didnt have to worry about any possesion issues.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

Well I got the trust set up. Cost was 100 cash and the attorney sat down with me and explained it, gave me a few new acquisitions pages and said he does not charge to talk with me or do some minor changes to it in future. I took it down to the shop and they don't have the Osprey but they have been issued a serial no and we did the paper work and its going out tomorrow to get approved. So now its a sit and wait game. The shop in Florida JnJ does not even charge me up front for the suppressor, he said when I get the stamp the suppressor will be there already and I can pay then. Many other shops wanted the full 650 up front.
DOGON
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

edteach wrote:I moved to Fla. several years ago and was thinking about getting a 9mm suppressor. I went into the local shop and asked about a suppressor and was told that I had to do a trust. That the local Sheriff would not sign to allow class 3. Never heard of that but I do not buy a lot of class 3 and have only done it in Kansas. Anyone else had any problems?
Texas: good luck getting Dallas, Tarrant (FW), Harris (Houston), Bexar (SA) or Travis (Austin) to sign.

The only logical reasoning you can do is to say, "Hey, if you would sign, you'd know who had one. If you don't sign, people will just form a trust and then YOU won't know...but they are still going to be in your district."
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

LawBob wrote:
edteach wrote:I moved to Fla. several years ago and was thinking about getting a 9mm suppressor. I went into the local shop and asked about a suppressor and was told that I had to do a trust. That the local Sheriff would not sign to allow class 3. Never heard of that but I do not buy a lot of class 3 and have only done it in Kansas. Anyone else had any problems?
Texas: good luck getting Dallas, Tarrant (FW), Harris (Houston), Bexar (SA) or Travis (Austin) to sign.

The only logical reasoning you can do is to say, "Hey, if you would sign, you'd know who had one. If you don't sign, people will just form a trust and then YOU won't know...but they are still going to be in your district."
Honestly, you need to tell them that they're a ... uh... <foul language>. Then you need to mock them by showing them a $40 Revocable Trust from Staples. Then you extend your middle finger while keeping all of the others folded down and say, "sit on it and spin, baby... you didn't stop a thing."

Will you be arrested?

He'll get in the way of your Second, but he won't get in the way of your First.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

silencertalk wrote:If transfers are banned in the future, you could probably sell the whole trust.
Same deal with a LLC/Corp transfers.
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

Travis signs. I've done individual 5 times. Tarrant does as well. Dallas is no, Harris is no. Bexar might.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

I'v got a local guy here in St Petersburg who did my trust. He's an avid shooting, it's cheap, and he'll walk you through it. PM me for details.

Jeff