SHOT SHOW 2015 5.56 Suppressed Bolt Carrier

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ick
Silent But Deadly

SHOT SHOW 2015 5.56 Suppressed Bolt Carrier

Post by ick »

Found this elsewhere.

Looks interesting to me. I can see the convenience of swapping this out for a casual-type shooter like me. Might pick one up. Would love to be able to use subsonics without modifications to any of my ARs.

Wondering what the long-term effect is.... or for high usage. Would seem wear has to start showing somewhere with a part change like this.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/GEMTEC ... 5p1149.htm

Website states:
Let us be the first to introduce you to the gun accessory that will change your life. The GEMTECH Suppressed Bolt Carrier will increase the reliability of any of your suppressed AR-Platformed firearms. The adjustable bolt carrier is a drop-in replacement and will allow the shooter to choose between suppressed and unsuppressed settings without any permanent modifications to the firearm. No longer will you need to change gas blocks, buffers, or any other components. Not only that, but with the GEMTECH Suppressed Bolt Carrier, there is a reduction in carrier speed and less felt recoil, bringing the cyclic rate of the suppressed rifle down to unsuppressed levels. And in some systems, testing has shown that it can actually bring it LOWER than unsuppressed levels.

But don't take our word for it. Try it for yourself. And once you do, you will want them in all your rifles.

Reduces carrier speed to unsuppressed levels
Reduces recoil & blowback
Increases reliability & weapon life
Reduces cyclic rate for full-auto weapons
-----
Ick
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Re: SHOT SHOW 2015 5.56 Suppressed Bolt Carrier

Post by RPM509 »

So it's just a heavier BCG?
What is the advantage for this over a much cheaper
adjustable gas block or tuning the port like many of us have done?
I'm still new enough to this game where I am interested in learning more, am I missing something?
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I think it is a good idea if it works. But, if the gas gets all the way to the carrier and sees it as a piston, will a smaller vent in the carrier really matter?
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

silencertalk wrote:I think it is a good idea if it works. But, if the gas gets all the way to the carrier and sees it as a piston, will a smaller vent in the carrier really matter?

That's what I was thinking/wondering. Same gas through the tube, vent in BCG to regulate gas. Don't see how it could work.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Well, given that:

1. You aren't increasing the amount of gas coming down the tube and
2. You aren't making the user change the recoil spring to make it "lighter" to allow movement for inadequate SS gas...

I assume that either there is a weight difference or some other mechanical difference giving the bolt group less inertia... allowing SS round gasses to be enough to cycle the weapon.

That is just my guess.

The "switch" then really would be for running the bolt with as much gas as possible given by SS rounds in "suppressed mode".

That would mean that the "switch" in the "non-suppressed" setting for using HV rounds is actually venting off excess gas preventing the lighter bolt (with less inertia) from receiving all that HV round gas power.

Now that I think about it I AM assuming the bolt is designed for the undergassing problem with SS rounds.

Perhaps I am assuming incorrectly and the bolt is designed for guys running HV rounds through their suppressor and the bolt actually is trying to curb overgassing?

I dunno.
Last edited by ick on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Ick
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Do you guys "see" a weight difference here? it looks like less material to me. What other consequences can you have with a lighter bolt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3v8Wg4xVXk

That is about all I can find on this in terms of information.

I would throw $250 bucks at them to get one and try it. Of course I would rather someone ELSE discover a dud and save my $250.
-----
Ick
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

"No longer will you need to change gas blocks, buffers, or any other components. Not only that, but with the GEMTECH Suppressed Bolt Carrier, there is a reduction in carrier speed and less felt recoil, bringing the cyclic rate of the suppressed rifle down to unsuppressed levels. And in some systems, testing has shown that it can actually bring it LOWER than unsuppressed levels."

All of the "no longers" are associated with regulating the higher gas pressure of suppressed fire, with HV ammo. Remember, most subs won't cycle a semi auto(aside from 300BLK).
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

It isn't made for subsonic rounds.

It is supposed to lower the bolt velocity for suppressed supersonic to be about what unsuppressed supersonic is.

I find it unlikely that it would work, but it would be an interesting product if it did.
dsteuber

Post by dsteuber »

Interesting idea. I have a custom gas block that can shut off the gas flow, turning the AR into a single shot requiring pulling the charging handle again for each shot.

The 300-221 upper has a three way switch for hi, lo, and off.

Sadly, I don't have a .30 cal suppressor.
Blackwater

Post by Blackwater »

Would the GEMTECH 5.56 Suppressed Bolt Carrier be considered a full-auto BCG or a semi-auto BCG?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I don't have first hand knowledge, but it would be extremely surprising if it was a semi-auto carrier. No one would make a new carrier and make it semi-auto. That was a dumb idea from the past. 99.5% chance it is full auto.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

Looking at the machining on the bolt carrier is should be lighter not heavier unless the tail is solid. The slight fluting and diameter reduction will decrease weight.
It looks to me like they are limiting the amount of gas that gets to the piston via throttling the gas at a valve in the carrier. I have not had issues with suppressed running of my M16 or AR15 guns so I am unsure why so many people keep searching for products that change gas settings. The majority of gas blow back in any suppressed gun is coming from the chamber as the bolt opens not gas from the operating system as many believe. The suppressor is working like a bore evacuator on a cannon but in reverse. I have thought that it might be neat to design a bore evacuator into the rear of a suppressor to see if it would work. The reason AR15 guns seem to have less blow back into the shooters face than other designs like AK based actions is due to the upper receiver design and the dwell time of the action. The AR happens to have one of the longest dwell times of any action since the gas has to travel the length of the barrel back to the piston before it starts operating unlike a piston forward action that has very little dwell time.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Yes. I have said a few times that MP5s, which have no gas tube, get very dirty when suppressed. This is because the gas comes down the bore. So even if you remove the gas tube from an AR, say by using a piston design, the guts will still get very dirty when suppressed just like an MP5. Hence reason #37 why piston ARs are not as useful as some say.