Rifle length gas system with suppressor?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

MrSpooky

Rifle length gas system with suppressor?

Post by MrSpooky »

I am thinking of getting a BCM 18" SS410 upper that has the rifle length gas system and I will be running it on a lower with a rifle buffer. Will I run into any problems with it being over gassed if I run it suppressed?

Right now I run a suppressor on a Sig 516 and I finally got it running right but I don't like the idea of it having proprietary parts that sig wont sell. I also still get a pretty good shot of gas in the face (RTV'd Gasbuster CH + H3 buffer) and it still gets filthy running suppressed so I was thinking of just going DI with the BCM. I have never shot a DI suppressed, is there any reason I should keep the piston sig over going to DI?

Thanks
Mike
Last edited by MrSpooky on Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rifle length gas system with suppressor?

Post by Wicked »

My flavor of the month is currently a 556 18" rifle gas White Oak Arms SDM barreled DI gun. Rifle buffer in an A2 stock. Runs full time suppressed with 77gr. SMK handloads at 2650fps. No issues after 12K. No gas-buster or silicone or the like and I'm left handed. My DI rifle suppressed is boringly reliable but any piston should be cleaner.

The secret to no 'gas-face?' I have a carrier weight in the BCG. http://www.davidtubb.com/carrierweight-ar15 It holds the bolt closed for a wee bit longer to let the big pills get down the bore before unlocking. Greatly reduces the blow-back as well. Runs a little cleaner with the weight but cases are still a bit sooty. Ejection is positive but not excessive. No guarantee how the combo will gun with lighter bullets or weaker loads as I haven't tried anything else in the gun.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Can't comment on the 18" BCM upper, but do have DI uppers built with 11.5 and a 16" BCM hammer forged barrels with BCM carriers, bolts, and charging handles. They work fine with 5.56 Saker and KAC QDSS NT4 respectively.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

There is a pretty big difference between my Mk12 clone, and regular carbine when running suppressed. The rifle length system is the clear winner for softer recoil impulse, and less gas in my face.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

I have an 18" gun with a rifle length system and it runs fine with with my 30 cal suppressor. It is a converted side charger but I still get a good spit of gas in my face from it. Joe Bob Outfitters has $30 adjustable low pro gas blocks so Im gonna get one and turn the gas down on it.
There are no "ex-Marines", just Marines who arent active anymore.
Str8shooter

Post by Str8shooter »

I run a SR-556 with a can on but I have dialed it back from normal setting of 2 down to a setting of 1 due the increased back pressure and It over gassing. It has worked flawlessly for me and one of the many reasons I like gas systems when running corked so I can decrease/eliminate "gas face"

Even at setting 1, I have a much higher carbon build up in the BCG/lower receiver then when uncorked.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

RJT wrote:There is a pretty big difference between my Mk12 clone, and regular carbine when running suppressed. The rifle length system is the clear winner for softer recoil impulse, and less gas in my face.
I'm with RJT on this.

My rifle length gassed AR's run smoother with and without suppression; nature of the beast as the port is further away from the bang, energy is depreciated at that distance already, so a little bit of back pressure from the suppressor will be that much less (start with less, end with less). I don't have the instruments to test it, but imagine it is a steep dive in pressure out there.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome