Who does an integrally suppressed 10/22 Takedown?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wdfwguy

Who does an integrally suppressed 10/22 Takedown?

Post by wdfwguy »

Anyone have one? Just curious how they work out, looks like a great idea.
Bob_L

Re: Who does an integrally suppressed 10/22 Takedown?

Post by Bob_L »

There are lots of them out there. I've been looking to buy one myself and researched several:

Thompson Machine Operative
Gemtech Mist
TBA Suppressors
Huntertown Arms T-22 Fusion
Great Lakes Tactical
Liberty Pinnacle-2

I know there are many more than this but these were the finalists in my own selection process. For me, I selected a TD version of the Liberty Pinnacle-2. Been in communication with them and will get the project started next month.

-bob
wdfwguy

Post by wdfwguy »

Mind if I ask what pushed you towards the Liberty?
Bob_L

Post by Bob_L »

Everybody has their own set of priorities, and so my list of reasons are probably different than everybody elses, but here you go:

- It uses a short barrel rather than a longer ported one. Same net result, but MUCH less chance of having a bullet get stuck in the barrel. Due to manufacturing tolerances, there can be slightly hotter and slightly weaker individual bullets in a given lot. If you were to shoot something that's already weak like a CCI Quiet or a 22 short, the porting in a longer barrel might take away the "oomph" a lightly loaded specimen needs to get all the way out of the barrel. Since it's already a super quiet barrel, you'd never know it. It'd get ugly after that...

- The baffles are stainless steel and removable. I *HATE* hand cleaning suppressors, and discovering stainless steel tumbling (from reloading) was a godsend. Now granted, the Pinnacle-2 has a big ass core so it won't fit in my Thumler's Tumbler, but as long as it's stainless the option still exists in some fashion. Maybe I can get some extra pins and pick up one of those Harbor Freight cement mixers.....

- As part of "removable", you actually have a tool to remove them. The TBA suppressors method for removing their K baffles is to bend a piece of wire, poke it down in the barrel, and fish them out, assuming they're not to stuck in place.... I thought a dedicated tool was a much better thing. Here's a link to the tool they make. Ugly, but effective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9oAOpnVFAY

- 10/22 Takedown version available. I really wanted this feature, but Liberty wasn't advertised as having a TD capable version. On a chance I called them and they said they'd make a TD version for $100 more. Woohoo!

- Let's face it, aside from maybe Gemtech, Liberty is a better known name in the industry. Plus, Gemtech seems to have it's share of detractors. I've not heard the same thing about Liberty. Besides, even if Gemtech didn't have any detractors, I really don't like that permanent end-cap thingy that's part of the outer sleeve on the Mist, in addition to all the other reasons above.

- Liberty is in GA. Gotta look out for my local guys.

Like I said, this is my list and not all of these things may apply to somebody else.

-bob
Bob_L

Post by Bob_L »

To add - I didn't realize that you had specified a Takedown integrally suppressed barrel. Most all of my looking was for standard integrally suppressed barrels.

When it comes to takedowns, there are far fewer people that make those. Other than the previously mentioned Thompson Machine and Liberty, I'm not sure who else makes them.

-bob
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

I have the Thompson machine takedown and love it!

The only thing I would have liked to see is a sleeve for the baffles like the silencerco sparrow.

Every time we go shooting it's one of the first rifles that gets picked up...
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Innovative Arms .
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

Sorry for the crappy picture it was the only one I could dig up after the fire. Our shop will be back in operation soon. This picture is of a takedown version. The baffles insert in the end of the barrel as one unit sealed off from the tube so they slide right out for cleaning. Using CCI standard Vel. ammo it metered avg. 112db letting the gun cycle and 109db holding the bolt closed.
[img][IMG]http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a591/curtistactical09/1022integral_zpshpchcgdl.jpg[/img][img]
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02