Octane or Osprey looking at buying a pistol suppressor and I cant decide between them

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Octane or Osprey looking at buying a pistol suppressor and I cant decide between them

Post by Michael Black 47 »

I'm almost there with my spec war that went pending 12/8/14 last year. I'm looking at a pistol can so i thought to myself if it aint broke don't fix it and going with silencero for the can. The only thing that is nagging me is choice between the octane and the osprey. What has been your experience with them. The pros and cons to both would be nice as well.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Re: Octane or Osprey looking at buying a pistol suppressor and I cant decide between them

Post by RJT »

Both are excellent. Osprey's only con (IMO), not user serviceable. Of course not really an issue if all you plan to shoot are jacketed bullets. The Octane offers more mounting options, and can be user serviced. I went with the Octane for those reasons, and I like the looks of a round suppressor when used on a rifle.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Re: Octane or Osprey looking at buying a pistol suppressor and I cant decide between them

thank you for the information. did you notice a DB difference between them as well.
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

The Osprey has a hair more first round pop than the Octane as well.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

I guess im leaning torwards the octane like to keep it clean. Does anyone know the cost on average for it?
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Didn't compare them head to head, just factored in my wants before buying. I paid 668.00 through Silencer Shop.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I have an Osprey now and an Octane in process. I plan to continue use of the Osprey on my pistols, because I don't want to put tall sights on them all. I have a Form 1 SBR for my 9mm JR Carbine that I am going to cut down to 5" and will use the Octane with the far superior fixed mount.

They are both top tier cans, I just believe the Octane wins for user serviceability and the better fixed mount. The Osprey has a lower profile and to my ear a better tone that seems quieter.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

We're at $675 Osprey 45, and $655 for the Octane 45. The other variants (9, 40, K for the Osprey, 9 for Octane) are cheaper.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
Tom in Arizona

Post by Tom in Arizona »

I considered the Osprey but bought the Octane for the ease of cleaning, and glad I did. I use it for various .22RF rifles and pistol hosts as well 9mm, 40 and 45 ACP with both my cast lead and copper jacketed projectiles. I use an inexpensive ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with a purple degreaser and it gets the job done easily. Very happy with the Octane!
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

I would have to say. this forum has been more informative then most site that I've been too. without all of the drama.

also other than the stand ammo we all know can either handle 357 sig, 357 mag ,44 mag
HK Nole

Post by HK Nole »

I have the octane really wasn't even a tough decision for me...I like having the ability to takedown the suppressor and pop the parts in a ultrasonic cleaner...wasn't really crazy about the looks of the osprey but did not need the slim profile since I'm running a ups with raised sights, but different strokes for to different folks there. Can't go wrong with either one silencerco makes high quality stuff.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

I placed my order today for the Octane and picked up my Specwar 7.62 dam it looks good. but yet another wait to go through yet a again. :evil:
imfrogman

Post by imfrogman »

Tom in Arizona wrote:I considered the Osprey but bought the Octane for the ease of cleaning, and glad I did. I use it for various .22RF rifles and pistol hosts as well 9mm, 40 and 45 ACP with both my cast lead and copper jacketed projectiles. I use an inexpensive ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with a purple degreaser and it gets the job done easily. Very happy with the Octane!
Not sure what you mean here, but there is no way an ultrasonic is going to get rid of the lead build-up
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

So if i choice to fire non jacketed ammunition through my Octane what is your preferred cleaning method?
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Lots of elbow grease(brushes, and picks), The Dip(hazmat, but easiest), soda blast(good mask, and outdoors), or rock tumbler and SS pins(easy, but slow).
imfrogman

Post by imfrogman »

The Dip
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

imfrogman wrote:The Dip
What kind of dip per say. sonic cleaner or just a bucket with solvent?
imfrogman

Post by imfrogman »

Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

imfrogman wrote:Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide
thank doesn't cause any corrosion from the hydrogen peroxide?
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Michael Black 47 wrote:
imfrogman wrote:Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide
thank doesn't cause any corrosion from the hydrogen peroxide?

Not to SS, but Al, and Ti are a no-go. Make sure you have a haz-mat "dump" in your area, and be careful. Lead acetate is some bad s**t.
huanab

Post by huanab »

imfrogman wrote: Not sure what you mean here, but there is no way an ultrasonic is going to get rid of the lead build-up
Try using vinegar in the ultra sonic cleaner and report back.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

When i get the form 4 in my hand and run a ungodly amount of rounds through it. :lol: I let you know.