A 2nd 308 suppressor - advice requested

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Atlasshrugged

A 2nd 308 suppressor - advice requested

Post by Atlasshrugged »

Looking for another 308 can for a bolt action, most likely direct thread. I'm after max sound suppression and I'm not concerned if it is heavy or long. Already have an aac cyclone. Very partial to silencerco products but not wed to them. What do you all suggest? Max suppression is key factor.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Re: A 2nd 308 suppressor - advice requested

Post by jdasilva »

Specwar 762 (not direct thread)
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

For max suppression, I'd go specwar 7.62 as well.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I have an SAS Ti Arbiter and a 7.62 Specwar. Both cans do excellent suppression. The Arbiter is very light but I would not use a titanium can in an application where it will get very hot. The Specwar is rated for barrels as short as 12.5" in both 6.8 and 308. I've used it on both of those with great results.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

TBAC 30P-1, but it is going to be hard to noticeably beat the Cyclone suppression wise.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

Specwar wouldn't be a bad choice.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I'm not concerned if it is heavy or long.
Oh buddy... You and I could not be further away from an understanding of what makes a desirable silencer! I don't know man, "max suppression" might mean something to you, but to me, every 30 cal rifle can I have ever heard sounds "about the same". Directly comparing A to B one might be quieter, to the ear after 50 rounds there might be a meaningful difference, but 10 feet away they are all about identical.

But go for it if you like... I'd sooner recommend the Thunderbeast Ultra series, the AAC 300-TM, or other cans, because accuracy, repeatability, lightweight, durability, are all more important than how a can meters, but if you want how it's going to METER (not the same thing as how it sounds) then go for the Specwar.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

300TM is the can I chose for max suppression on a direct thread 308 bolt rifle application. I really like it. My Specwar is also very quiet, but it resides on my AR10, which isn't a particularly quiet platform.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

este wrote:
I'm not concerned if it is heavy or long.
Oh buddy... You and I could not be further away from an understanding of what makes a desirable silencer! I don't know man, "max suppression" might mean something to you, but to me, every 30 cal rifle can I have ever heard sounds "about the same". Directly comparing A to B one might be quieter, to the ear after 50 rounds there might be a meaningful difference, but 10 feet away they are all about identical.

But go for it if you like... I'd sooner recommend the Thunderbeast Ultra series, the AAC 300-TM, or other cans, because accuracy, repeatability, lightweight, durability, are all more important than how a can meters, but if you want how it's going to METER (not the same thing as how it sounds) then go for the Specwar.

I've shot all those cans & the specwar sounds better to me. Its also not heavy. Its heavier than those but not heavy unless you're rocking one of those heavy ass chassis precision stocks. Everyone ears are different & maybe you can't tell the difference due to hearing damage you've encountered but some of us can clearly tell the difference.

Specwar has sound suppression, durability, repeatability, accuracy, & SilencerCo's customer service/warranty. Light weight it is not
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Sig 762Ti thread-on.

the sig cans sounded amazing on the range, and the Ti models are super light.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

While I don't normally agree with este, I have to this time. Heavy and long are as important if not more important than a couple Db. I'll take light over a couple Db any day. I love my Gemtech Sandstorm, at 13.5 ounces it does a fantastic job on full power 308 and 300 BLK. The new Silencerco Omega, SAS Ti Arbiter, and the Sig 762 Ti as jasonM said would be the only others I would choose over another Sandstorm.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

weight was the only thing that kept me from going with the Specwar 7.62

It would be a great choice if you're not worried about the weight; very quiet, bomb-proof, good reputable company. Oh yeah, cool sounding name too.
morris
Senior Silent Operator

Post by morris »

Thunderbeast ultra no question. It is more than 3db quieter than the 30P1 and lighter.
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

glad to know I'm not the only one thinking about getting another 30cal can. i have the arc sdn6 i was thinking about getting the redesigned sdn then suppressed slightly more.
LittleLebowski

Post by LittleLebowski »

JasonM wrote:Sig 762Ti thread-on.

the sig cans sounded amazing on the range, and the Ti models are super light.
Interesting.
Gik-Tal

Post by Gik-Tal »

For my bolt guns I use a Slincerco Harvester, sound reduction is very good, and recoil reduction is also very good.