Do Digital Sound Meters meet testing requirements?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Kudu22
Silent But Deadly

Re: Do Digital Sound Meters meet testing requirements?

Post by Kudu22 »

We at Surefire run the B&K Pulse system with 4 open channels. We also have a permanent sound testing fixture at our range that is able to keep the weapons square from shot to shot and adjustable to a 1/16". We do 30 round samples using current military ammo. Not by any means cheap but it is what we invested in and even CRANE copied our set up. It wasn't long ago that I was at a location where they did suppressor sound testing for reviews and none of the specs for testing were followed. None. Saw swings of 10-18dB from shot to shot. Was eye opening to say the least but the posts were going to be put up even when helpful suggestions were made that the data was really...really wrong.
Garin Lee
Surefire Suppressor Marketing Manager
[email protected]
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Re: Do Digital Sound Meters meet testing requirements?

Post by John Titsworth »

I knew Surefire used the correct equipment. 262K samples on the Pulse system so it far exceeds the standard. 3.8 micro seconds.

They cost over 45K.

The B&K system I am looking at will do three channels at 192K which is more than enough. Complete system is over 20K, but that is doable for what you get. The Pulse and the B&K system that I will get are the ONLY digital sound metering systems available that will meet the standard and work. It will make my life easier too since its all computer captured. I can meter much faster and get correct results.

Kudos to Surefire (no pun intended) for using the proper equipment. :D