Handgun and 300blk out suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

nick112288

Handgun and 300blk out suppressor

Post by nick112288 »

How's it going? New here and have some questions.

I looked and I didn't really see this, I apologize if it exists and if someone can link to it that would be great.

ANYWAY, the funds have become available and I am now able to purchase my first suppressor. I'm looking for one to be used on both a 9mm pistol and subsonic 300blk out ar15. I'm seeing lots of posts about which handgun, or which rifle caliber but not this situation.

Obviously a rifle specific one would work but I would think would be too big for a pistol. Also my budget for just the suppressor is $500-600.

I don't know enough about suppressors to know what is good or what is over priced junk in that range.

Also The ar15 is a 16" (I didn't want to kill the resale by making it a SBR). Is 220gr still subsonic with that long barrel?

Thanks everyone in advance and hopefully I learn a lot from here!
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Handgun and 300blk out suppressor

Post by rimshaker »

Welcome. The Liberty Mystic X is perfect for your first can. It's a 9mm can that also supports full power 556 and 300 BLK.

Yes 220gr subs are still subsonic through a 16" barrel.
nick112288

Post by nick112288 »

rimshaker wrote:Welcome. The Liberty Mystic X is perfect for your first can. It's a 9mm can that also supports full power 556 and 300 BLK.

Looks like a good suppressor but unless I can get a good deal through dealers on here looks a bit out of my budget. Thanks though!
chickenlips

Post by chickenlips »

look at silencershop for Thompson Isis 2 for $350ish, or AAC Tirant 45 $550ish. I have a liberty Mystic. And a gemtech multimount, and quicksand and an outback 2. The Mystic is worth saving your money for. Or do what everyone does and start with a 22 can, then add bigger can later.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

nick112288 wrote:
rimshaker wrote:Welcome. The Liberty Mystic X is perfect for your first can. It's a 9mm can that also supports full power 556 and 300 BLK.

Looks like a good suppressor but unless I can get a good deal through dealers on here looks a bit out of my budget. Thanks though!
Understood. But one thing you have to realize in the NFA world, is that the cost/budget factor is lower on the totem pole. Treat silencers like lifetime investments because that's what they truly are. There is no market for used cans.

Nothing is cheap anyway once you factor in everything like mounts, adapters, tax stamp, threaded barrels, etc. Best to save up for a lifetime quality can (like the mystic X) and do it right the first time.

The alternative is lots of regret, what ifs, another $200 stamp, several more months of wasted time, and a silencer you wish you didn't have.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

For 9mm and SUBSONIC 300BLK, I'd recommend you go with an Octane.
thecameraman79
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thecameraman79 »

I second the SilencerCo Octane 9. I use it on the wifes Handi Rifle in 300 blackout for subs and on my HK MP5K-PDW and love it on both and with the SS baffles it's easy to clean throwing the baffles in the ultrasonic cleaner and coming back after a few hours.
nick112288

Post by nick112288 »

Ok I'll have to look in to those.

This might be a dumb question, but why generally am I finding 45 cans to be cheaper than 9?
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

They're not any cheaper.
Slow Hand
Silent Operator

Post by Slow Hand »

A little general and then specific advice...

General advice is that cans are basically a lifetime purchase. Practically nobody buy/sells used cans. That being said, find what you want and if it takes six months or a year more of saving, do it! I bought an SAS stainless .30 cal can. It's solid as can be, good to go for full auto and pretty much anything .:0 cal or smaller. Bad thing is, it's not light! SAS makes a titanium can that is considerable lighter but costs more. At the time I didn't want to wait so I bought the stainless one. Super happy with it, but I wish I would have waited a bit and got the Ti one.

As to your question, from what I've seen, the Liberty MysticX looks to be just what you are looking for. If I didn't already ha e a 9mm Isis and a couple of .30 cal cans, I'd be buying one soon! The newer Isis-2 from Thompson Machine is also rated for 300 blk, but I believe it's only for subsonics with a 16" barrel. I could be wrong on that though. I know everyone wants to shoot subs quiet, but once you swap mags and feel/hear how much more comfortable supers are with a can, you'll be happy you got one rated for them. Also, what if one of your buddies is shooting with you and accidentally slips in a mag of supers and makes your can look like the JJFU potatoe? Money well spent on a tougher can!
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

The Mystic X is an option. Octane is great as well. I would lean towards Octane between the two for your situation.

You mentioned something about a rifle can being too heavy on a pistol. 9MM is .355, vs the .308 most 30 cal cans were made for. .355 will technically FIT through most holes in 30 cal cans, but I sure wouldn't shoot a pistol round through a rifle can.

Personally, I would buy a pistol can and a good 30 cal rifle can. Keep in mind if you go with a pistol can on the 300BO, you'll still need either a fixed barrel mount, or spacer and usually custom 5/8x24 piston. They really are lifetime investments.

300BLK going supersonic out of a 16 inch barrel. Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the type of powder and amount you are using. For commercial loads, most good quality subs will stay subsonic. Some like the cheap Remington 220s may randomly go super on you, I've seen it happen.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Octane. I'm going with the 45 version myself, but the 9 is also a great can.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K