Thompson ISIS-2/40? Drawbacks?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Thompson ISIS-2/40? Drawbacks?

Post by JeffWard »

I bought a SilencerCo Omega back in January, and it should be mine inside of 90 days... That will be for my rifles from 300BLK to 308.

I'm looking for a second "budget" can for 9mm, 40 S&W, and a lot of 22LR. I know it's not the lightest/shortest, but the Thompson ISIS-2/40 is VERY tempting at $343!! http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/p ... l?___SID=U

I like the idea of the mono-baffle for 22LR and coated lead 9mm/40. It seems easier to disassemble and clean than the SilencerCo Octane.

Has anybody seems a good comparison between the Thompson ISIS-2 and other brands? In a pinch I can also run it on my 300BLK running subs... since I have 2 300BLKs now.

JW
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Re: Thompson ISIS-2/40? Drawbacks?

Post by savagetactical »

Does that price include the price of the booster assembly? It looks like it doesn't which would bring the price close to other pistol cans with similar capabilities. Do they offer the deal in 45? I'd reccomend getting the 45 version if they did because I'll bet you will want to suppress one of those in the future. I know from shooting 9mm through my Octane 45 I can't tell a difference in noise level when compared to my Tirant-9.
sundazes

Post by sundazes »

I have an Isis 2 in 9mm. I got it for 400 OTD with a gem tech booster from my local dealer. The Isis it self is a decent can. I haven't had it that long, but I have owed .22 suppressors for a long while. I have only taken it our a couple of times. It is stupid quiet with subs and does a good job with regular ammo. FRP is not that bad at all. I have heard a lot worse. You can index it to the host so if the POI changes , you can dial it in.
So far I am happy with it. Once you learn the trick to taking it apart (read the instructions), it cleans up fairly easily. It is not SS, so don't dip it or use an ultra sonic. I have not regrets in getting it.
I just put an Octane 9 HD in jail so I can do a comparison when hell freezes.

I would get a dedicated 22 can. 22 is REALY dirty and will weld lead onto the baffles or mono core. Youi don't want to deal with that in a centerfire can.
I prefer k baffles to monocores for the simple reason of less FRP. It drives me nuts.
Crash_pro

Post by Crash_pro »

sundazes wrote:I have an Isis 2 in 9mm. I got it for 400 OTD with a gem tech booster from my local dealer. The Isis it self is a decent can. I haven't had it that long, but I have owed .22 suppressors for a long while. I have only taken it our a couple of times. It is stupid quiet with subs and does a good job with regular ammo. FRP is not that bad at all. I have heard a lot worse. You can index it to the host so if the POI changes , you can dial it in.
So far I am happy with it. Once you learn the trick to taking it apart (read the instructions), it cleans up fairly easily. It is not SS, so don't dip it or use an ultra sonic. I have not regrets in getting it.

I would get a dedicated 22 can. 22 is REALY dirty and will weld lead onto the baffles or mono core. Youi don't want to deal with that in a centerfire can.
I prefer k baffles to monocores for the simple reason of less FRP. It drives me nuts.
Have you compared it to the octane yet? I have an octane already and am thinking about buying an ISIS-2
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Doesn't compare to the Octane on many levels. My buddy is in purgatory on one after shooting mine "against" his Isis.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Crash_pro

Post by Crash_pro »

RJT wrote:Doesn't compare to the Octane on many levels. My buddy is in purgatory on one after shooting mine "against" his Isis.
Thanks for the info! I have a TM Poseidon and is GREAT for its size. On that notion i got the giant SG-2 for my Sig MPX and JRC carbines, they seem to have a lot of mack pressure with the octane. SG-2 is still in jail though. Thought the ISIS-2 might be a good addition but might look elsewhere, maybe an Osprey this time.
sundazes

Post by sundazes »

Crash_pro wrote:
sundazes wrote:I have an Isis 2 in 9mm. I got it for 400 OTD with a gem tech booster from my local dealer. The Isis it self is a decent can. I haven't had it that long, but I have owed .22 suppressors for a long while. I have only taken it our a couple of times. It is stupid quiet with subs and does a good job with regular ammo. FRP is not that bad at all. I have heard a lot worse. You can index it to the host so if the POI changes , you can dial it in.

Have you compared it to the octane yet? I have an octane already and am thinking about buying an ISIS-2
I just got it last week. I have not had time to even take i out of the box. Once I do have time I will post.