Newb Questions About Getting Barrels Threaded

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Chuck88

Newb Questions About Getting Barrels Threaded

Post by Chuck88 »

I'm sure that this has been asked here 1,000 times before, but a quick use of the "Search" function didn't reveal any definitive results, so please forgive me for asking it again.

I currently have my first two Form 4's pending: One is a Silencerco/SWR Warlock II and the other is a Liberty Mystic X. All of my intended host weapons already have threaded barrels except for one, the Beretta 92FS. I would prefer to get the existing barrel threaded rather than buying a new one for a number of reasons.

Here are my questions:

1) Is this something that any gunsmith/machinist can do? I understand that if the threads aren't cut correctly and concentrically they can damage the suppressor or host weapon. Is this a major concern, or is the procedure minor enough that I can trust any qualified gunsmith to do it correctly?

2) I've been to a couple gunsmiths locally before and was not particularly impressed with the facilities, professionalism, or knowledge of the staff. Can anyone recommend a shop in the New Orleans area that is up to par?

3) Are there any professionals here who would be willing to do this for me for a fair price, or can you refer me to one? I would prefer a turnaround time of less than four weeks, since that is when I am projected to have my Tax Stamps in hand.

Thank you in advance for any responses! :)
Gik-Tal

Re: Newb Questions About Getting Barrels Threaded

Post by Gik-Tal »

This is one of those real hard maybe questions. I would never have a barrel threaded by someone who I did not have a long list of references on. It is way to easy to thread a barrel off bore which can cause damage to your suppressor. I'm lucky in that we have a gunsmith only 70 miles way that has a long and highly praised reputation of threading barrels. I would ask around most of the class three dealers should know who is reliable in the threading department and who to avoid. If you cannot find anyone locally you can have it sent off to several threading services.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Beretta 92 barrels are a special case since the threaded portion is only about 0.33" long. And that's still ok. Don't bother with extending the barrel to get it threaded.

Gemtech sells factory Beretta 92 barrels (Gemtech does the threading), but they're always out of stock. Used ones come up every now and then on forums.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/BERETT ... -49p64.htm

Jim Pixley over at Jpgrips in MN has been highly recommended in the community for all kinds of barrel threading. Flawless work on my 10/22 TD and Beretta 22LR conversion kit.

http://jpgrips.com/
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

For pistols, it's generally best just to buy a factory threaded barrel.

They are around $125. A local machinist would charge around that just to thread. Plus most (not B92F) pistols require purchasing an extended barrel anyway. Which would mean twice the price for new barrel and aftermarket thread.

So it's actually cheaper and safer just to purchase the factory thread. That way you can still swap out the OEM barrel when not shooting suppressed.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
huanab

Post by huanab »

Why not just send it to adco? They had a 1 week turnaround time when I had my browning 1911-22 threaded.

https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservic ... 0Threading
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

whiterussian1974 wrote:For pistols, it's generally best just to buy a factory threaded barrel.

They are around $125. A local machinist would charge around that just to thread. Plus most (not B92F) pistols require purchasing an extended barrel anyway. Which would mean twice the price for new barrel and aftermarket thread.

So it's actually cheaper and safer just to purchase the factory thread. That way you can still swap out the OEM barrel when not shooting suppressed.
Very true. However Beretta doesn't make factory 92 threaded barrels. So basically any 92 threaded barrel out there is more like a "factory aftermarket."

This is the closest Beretta will come to accommodating us silencer junkies, and it's not even for a 92:
http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta ... bpx49fext/
Chuck88

Post by Chuck88 »

Thank you all for the constructive responses.

I have decided to go with Rimshaker's suggestion and send my barrel to Jim Pixley. I contacted him last nite via email, and he is willing to perform the service and include a very nice thread protector for $105 total, with a one week turnaround. I couldn't ask for better than that! :D

I will be shipping out my barrel today, and I will post a review of the service in this thread as soon as I get it back.