Best dedicated 9mm suppressor host

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

timelinex

Best dedicated 9mm suppressor host

Post by timelinex »

Well I'm finally gonna be receiving my 9mm Octane soon!

I realize that ammo and suppressor are gonna make the biggest difference in sound, however the host does play a small role in it. I currently have a 9mm 1911 and a few 9mm glocks. I'll probably end up getting a threaded barrel for one or two of the glocks. I do want to get a dedicated suppressor host for the can and might as well get something optimized for it.

Any recommendations? I have read on here that the Sig P226 S4 is one of the best hosts, however I cannot find any place (local or online) that sells them and has one in stock. If someone knows of a reasonably priced place to buy one or if you have a recommendation for a better suppressor host, let me know!
Dieseljay

Re: Best dedicated 9mm suppressor host

Post by Dieseljay »

timelinex wrote:Well I'm finally gonna be receiving my 9mm Octane soon!

I realize that ammo and suppressor are gonna make the biggest difference in sound, however the host does play a small role in it. I currently have a 9mm 1911 and a few 9mm glocks. I'll probably end up getting a threaded barrel for one or two of the glocks. I do want to get a dedicated suppressor host for the can and might as well get something optimized for it.

Any recommendations? I have read on here that the Sig P226 S4 is one of the best hosts, however I cannot find any place (local or online) that sells them and has one in stock. If someone knows of a reasonably priced place to buy one or if you have a recommendation for a better suppressor host, let me know!
The sig226 mk25 or tacops are basically the same thing.
I have a discontinued sig 226 dark elite TB.
Its amazing.. Just has to swap out recoil spring on it for a 20lb one. Works better than my glock 17 which has more blowback.
edit: so I swapped up to a 24lb recoil spring... Sounds a little better and cycles the same with even less blowback. Ironically it somehow still works without the suppressor to my amazement. Ammo 158 Fiocchi and 147 Freedom munitions.

Slickguns: price chart for 226tb
http://www.slickguns.com/product/sig-sa ... ghts-89145
Last edited by Dieseljay on Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timelinex

Post by timelinex »

Woah, thanks for the info. I never had a sig so didn't know much about them, including that they had so many threaded models.

After more research it looks like the TacOps threaded is actually the one I'll be looking for! Looks like a few places sell them online.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Before buying a factory-threaded firearm, be sure that the thread pattern matches the silencer.

From Osage County guns, the factory Sig barrels are -- as far as I can tell -- threaded 13.5x1mm LH

You may be looking for a 1/2 x 28 TPI threaded barrel. I understand that adapters might be acquired, or perhaps your silencer can be modified.

Don't let this deter your decision to purchase arguably one of the best silencer hosts in 9mm... but DO be aware that you won't be able to pull both of these respective items out of the box and simply screw them together.
timelinex

Post by timelinex »

Dang it, your right. For some reason I thought glock was the only one with the metric threading. I guess I'll probably have to get a metric piston for the Octane.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I don't personally know about a 9mm 1911, but the 1911 in .45 ACP is about the best host I've seen. The combination of the unlock delay, slide mass, and mainspring pressure make for the perfect lockup time.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

My Sig P226 is by far the quietest host I have.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

Not a g26

Can't get it to cycle reliably.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Bendersquint wrote:My Sig P226 is by far the quietest host I have.
My experience as well.

Have a P229 357/40 with a BarSto 9mm barrel that also does well. BarSto cut the barrel about 1/4"+ longer than it needed to be so it looks a little odd but maybe that helps ... don't really know.

ETA: Both my Sigs are 1/2x28 thread and not the standard metric threads. It doesn't make a whit of difference on suppression just throwing it out there to say it's possible to get Sigs with non-metric threads but it may take some effort.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
dan_h
Silent Operator

Post by dan_h »

Bendersquint wrote:My Sig P226 is by far the quietest host I have.
My experience as well...also seems to be one of the best 'balanced' (my subjective opinion)

Dh
timelinex

Post by timelinex »

Just ordered a Sig P226 Tacops Threaded from a dealer on gunbroker.

Thanks for the advice fellas.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

You already bought, but agree with above. Glocks are somewhat loud hosts, but Sigs are excellent, as are 1911s.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Deathray »

I like my factory threaded CZ P09. It's a bit quieter than my 9mm converted Glock 35 using my tirant .45.
Crash_pro

Post by Crash_pro »

Dieseljay wrote:
Its amazing.. Just has to swap out recoil spring on it for a 20lb one. Works better than my glock 17 which has more blowback.
edit: so I swapped up to a 24lb recoil spring... Sounds a little better and cycles the same with even less blowback. Ironically it somehow still works without the suppressor to my amazement. Ammo 158 Fiocchi and 147 Freedom munitions.

I have a P226 Tacops, great gun. Was curious if anyone else was running higher power recoil springs to reduce action noise even further and what we're the results?

Debating about buying some and seeing if it makes much of a difference while still being reliable.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

Crash_pro wrote:
Dieseljay wrote:

I have a P226 Tacops, great gun. Was curious if anyone else was running higher power recoil springs to reduce action noise even further and what we're the results?

Debating about buying some and seeing if it makes much of a difference while still being reliable.
I ordered them from WOlff- the 20 and 24lb versions. When used wit ha Trident, I couldn't get it to cycle with the increased springs using reloads- 147 XTP over 4.2 - 4.4 grains of VV N340.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

its cheap for the springs, I'm curious about the CZ and a sphinx, looking at buying both soon and not sure about their ability to be quiet.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
Crash_pro

Post by Crash_pro »

oops, double post.
Last edited by Crash_pro on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crash_pro

Post by Crash_pro »

Crash_pro wrote:
Joker31D wrote:its cheap for the springs, I'm curious about the CZ and a sphinx, looking at buying both soon and not sure about their ability to be quiet.
I know they're not very expensive, but every time I get a package of gun parts my wife gives me dirty looks. I was planning on buying 1 or 2 springs to try it but I was hoping to find the right power weight based on others experiences first. Sounds like 20 lbs may or may not work, 18lbs might be a good compromise.

In regards to CZ's, I have a P-07 factory threaded model and it sounds great with my Octane 9! I haven't done a back to back vs the P226 but it's on my list of things to do. I actually have two identical Octane 9's which should make it easy to compare quickly before I forget how the other sounded. I'll report back with my observations.

On a side note, from my Google Fu I've seen people have even better results with the full sized steel guns like the SP-01. Problem is from the factory the trigger pull is a bit gritty and long plus threaded barrels are rare and expensive. That is why I got the P226 Tacops threaded model. Comes with SRT trigger, the right barrel, and it's easy to change the hammer spring to lighten it a bit. Overall would be cheaper and easier.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

My wife doesn't give me dirty looks about stuff like that, Tax Stamps are cheaper to collect than cars which I gave up to collect stamps. I also told her from the beginning that I would give her a certain amount of money for the household and the rest was my Black Budget, just like Congress she isn't cleared to see that budget.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

I've heard good things about S&W M&P9s, but don't really have anything to compare mine too besides my 45 1911.
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

my sig mk25 is my best 9 host with a trirant 45 with 9mm piston .sig had factory threaded barrel 13.1 x 5

sounds great
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

question for the experts, how much better does the sig sound compared to the hk ? I have a 9mm hk and a mk23 45 ... and i've never had any problem with either of them functioning at all .. the mk23 feels like a rolex the way it cycles like butter... the 9mm is close ..

i've tried to get my glock working right , but it's not reliable ... both hk's come standard with tall sights too ...

just wondering how much better the sig is then the hk ?
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales