Sparrow vs Element 2

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ugareloader

Sparrow vs Element 2

Post by ugareloader »

Im trying to decide between these two. Anyone shot both? Im leaning towards the Element 2 cause the Sparrows FRP seems much louder on pistol. My LGS has the Sparrow for $299 and the Element 2 for $359.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sparrow vs Element 2

Post by TROOPER »

The cleaning portion should be a consideration as well. I have an Element 1 (I think), and after a moderate volume of use, it can be a little bit difficult to push the bafflestack out. Also, I suspect that most monocores are easier to clean via mechanical action.

I'd call that price difference negligible and focus entirely on other aspects of both silencers. For me, absolute suppression was priority one, and I am not disappointed. However, a can that is twice as easy to clean with barely an perceptible difference in suppression might actually be the better choice.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

I have the Element 2 really like it but don't think you could go wrong with either choose. The Element 2 uses K baffles the Sparrow uses a monolithic core. The Element 2 ships with the baffle pusher tool so not to bad to disassemble, the sparrow has two metal sleeves that go around the core then it is inserted into tube so it is easier to disassemble when dirty.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Killerapplesauce wrote: I have the Element 2 really like it but don't think you could go wrong with either choose. The Element 2 uses K baffles the Sparrow uses a monolithic core. The Element 2 ships with the baffle pusher tool so not to bad to disassemble, the sparrow has two metal sleeves that go around the core then it is inserted into tube so it is easier to disassemble when dirty.
I didn't realize the Element 2 had a pusher tool. This sort of complicates the original question since the ease-of-maintenance has just been improved.

I still wouldn't focus on the cost difference. I'd focus on absolute suppression, weight, and materials... and in that order too.

But honestly, as already said, you can't go wrong with either choice. In which case, also focus on things that aren't quantifiable, specifically which one you think will look better on your intended firearm. I realize that sounds absurd, but this purchase is almost certain to be a function of desire as opposed to need, yes? In which case, the use of it will be purely recreational -- IE, for pleasure. And the one you like to look at more will be a factor in bringing you more pleasure.
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

between those id go element , buddy has sparrow and to me the sparrow frp is to much for me

i own a Spectre 2 , you might consider it as well , love mine and quiet built like a tank

currently waiting on 2 stamps :evil:

tirant 45 ,with 9mm and 40 pistons
mack brothers lima

next up regulator
ugareloader

Post by ugareloader »

I am gonna go with the Sparrow cause of the ease of cleaning plus I only own 22 rifles right now so the FRP will not be a issue. Once I buy a pistol I might add the Element2 for that. This thing is getting crazy. I thought I was just gonna get 1 can and I have already ordered 3 (Mystic X, Omega, Sparrow) before I got the first in my hands. And now the Salvo is calling my name. Damn
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

TROOPER wrote:
Killerapplesauce wrote: I have the Element 2 really like it but don't think you could go wrong with either choose. The Element 2 uses K baffles the Sparrow uses a monolithic core. The Element 2 ships with the baffle pusher tool so not to bad to disassemble, the sparrow has two metal sleeves that go around the core then it is inserted into tube so it is easier to disassemble when dirty.
I didn't realize the Element 2 had a pusher tool. This sort of complicates the original question since the ease-of-maintenance has just been improved.

I still wouldn't focus on the cost difference. I'd focus on absolute suppression, weight, and materials... and in that order too.

But honestly, as already said, you can't go wrong with either choice. In which case, also focus on things that aren't quantifiable, specifically which one you think will look better on your intended firearm. I realize that sounds absurd, but this purchase is almost certain to be a function of desire as opposed to need, yes? In which case, the use of it will be purely recreational -- IE, for pleasure. And the one you like to look at more will be a factor in bringing you more pleasure.

Agree with what Trooper said :)
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

TROOPER wrote:
Killerapplesauce wrote: I still wouldn't focus on the cost difference. I'd focus on absolute suppression, weight, and materials... and in that order too.
What Trooper said.

The first two cans I bought were at one time. I put way to much emphasis on cost. Regret it now.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Sparrow has no FRP on a rifle. Therefore my advice is usually: pistol host, Element 2, rifle host, Sparrow.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

A well designed suppressor works well on both. Why shoot yourself in the foot and buy a suppressor that is loud on pistols but good on rifles when you can buy a suppressor that works well on both? The "ease of cleaning" issue is exaggerated when you follow manufactures cleaning schedules.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

John Titsworth wrote:A well designed suppressor works well on both. Why shoot yourself in the foot and buy a suppressor that is loud on pistols but good on rifles when you can buy a suppressor that works well on both? The "ease of cleaning" issue is exaggerated when you follow manufactures cleaning schedules.
I have an Element (1), and it doesn't take a whole lot of shooting before it becomes a little bit of a PITA to push the baffle-stack out using a large diameter wooden dowel. I don't know what the manufacturer's recommended cleaning schedule is, but since I do it after every outing, and won't do it DURING an outing, then even if I did know what the cleaning schedule was, it wouldn't change my action.

It is hardly 'impossible' to clean. But I just don't see how it could be easier to disassemble a Sparrow. Comparing one to the other, the Sparrow is CLEARLY the easier to disassemble. Is that ease-of-cleaning significant or a deal-maker / deal-breaker? That's a subjective question.... but it isn't subjective to state that one disassembles more easily than the other.

Now the part about a silencer being "loud" on a rifle, but not a pistol... or vice-versa.... that's silly. Certainly some models suppress MORE on one type of host than another, but if there's any exaggerating being done in the 22 silencer world, it's the claim that any one of the three-to-five top-tier suppressors is "loud" on one type of host. I assure you, an Element is quiet on both. A Sparrow is quiet on both. A Spectre is quiet on both. And so on and on. People turn the most minor of differences into something much larger than it is... it's a distinction without a difference. That difference only matters to people who care about the absolute bleeding edge of performance and seek out the proper testing equipment to prove it. It's an industry-professional difference, NOT something that the typical end-user will likely notice.
thecameraman79
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thecameraman79 »

I don't have the sparrow but own the element 2. I am using it on a pistol and there is almost no noticeable FRP on a pistol, it's lighter then the sparrow (arguable that it's not noticeable but it is over an ounce lighter) while still retaining SS baffles so they are easy to throw in an ultrasonic cleaner to be cleaned. Many say that the Sparrow is easier to take apart and while it does take an extra 2 minutes to use the included tool to push the baffles out I don't have a problem taking those extra 2 minutes every thousand rounds. Both great companies and great suppressors I just think the Element 2 had a slight edge over the sparrow.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

With dip cleaning, my sparrow has a 2000+ round cleaning schedule. Disassembly by hand is easy no matter the round count. Trying to clean up lead and solidified carbon never sounds like a big deal until you're actually faced with doing it. I highly doubt the Element can withstand a 2000+ cleaning interval. The baffles and tube would get solidified.
AirCavBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by AirCavBob »

My first 22 can was the original Element and at that time it didn't come with the push tool and I had to buy it separately. Later when SCO came out with the Sparrow SS I got one of them.

I will say, I was both shocked and initially disappointed in the amount of FRP from the Sparrow. I have since found the Sparrow is in fact quieter on a long gun that the Element.

So, with both the decision is pretty easy. Element on pistols and Sparrow on rifles. I'm about to have my .17WSM threaded and we'll see which can gets used in that host.

ETA: Just get both and go on and enjoy life.
01 FFL Class III SOT
South Central Kansas
JLBourne

Post by JLBourne »

I use my Element 2 primarily on a Ruger 10/22 takedown rifle. I store it broken down in a dark blue LaRue covert rifle case with a Leica patch on the front. Been looking for a some sort of clarinet patch so I can put that on instead to give the impression that it's a musical instrument.

Anyway, back on the can, as others have stated it has no FRP on the 10/22 or Ruger Mark III. Some folks give the Sparrow the nod due to cleaning but it hasn't been that tough cleaning up the Element 2. I've been meaning to try the soda blaster method but haven't gotten around to it.
SDN-6, 762-SD, TiRant 9, Element 2, Halo GM, Saker 762, Saker 556, Sparrow, Spectre II, Obsidian
JLBourne.com
BearTHIS
Silent Operator

Post by BearTHIS »

I have a Sparrow SS and an Element 2. The sparrow is easier to takedown but even though my element 2 came with the removal tool I've been able to knock them out just by giving it a genuine tap on the work bench. I like both, a lot. I will admit though, when it comes time to show a new guy a silenced 22, I always reach for the Element 2.. I think that says something, I trust it to be the most impressive to them. But like I said, I like both, both have strengths... But knowing that I always go to the Element 2 to introduce a non-shooter/non-nfa person, I think what I'm subconsciously thinking is "this guy is thinking Hollywood, I better give them my best Hollywood. I'll worry bout cleaning later".