Any place to trade in a used can?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, renegade, bakerjw

Post Reply
hardcase
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 449
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by hardcase » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:53 pm

Also could a dealer, somewhat locally, that sells suppressors be allowed to legally sell one on consignment? Or is it like Robin Williams said of divorce--It is when your wallet is jerked out through your scrotum.

David Hineline
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 12:37 am
Location: South Sioux City, NE
Contact:

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by David Hineline » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:36 pm

$200 tax to dealer, $200 tax to buyer, or the buyer could pay one $200 tax and get a new unused more modern silencer than what you are trying to dump.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by Bendersquint » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 pm

We get offers for used cans but my only interest is the baffles for repairing other can that are in far worse condition.

Used silencers on a Form4 is a dead market.

Deathray
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:20 pm

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by Deathray » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:33 pm

Your best bet is to sell it to somebody directly in your state. One transfer tax only.

hardcase
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 449
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by hardcase » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Deathray wrote:Your best bet is to sell it to somebody directly in your state. One transfer tax only.
Is that possible without getting a dealer involved? I suppose the dealer could do just the paperwork.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by Bendersquint » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:47 pm

hardcase wrote:
Deathray wrote:Your best bet is to sell it to somebody directly in your state. One transfer tax only.
Is that possible without getting a dealer involved? I suppose the dealer could do just the paperwork.
You do not need to involve a dealer.

Just file a Form4 directly from you to the new owner, and the stamp will come back to you....then you call the buyer to come get their new toy.

hardcase
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 449
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by hardcase » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:40 am

Bendersquint wrote:
hardcase wrote:
Deathray wrote:Your best bet is to sell it to somebody directly in your state. One transfer tax only.
Is that possible without getting a dealer involved? I suppose the dealer could do just the paperwork.
You do not need to involve a dealer.

Just file a Form4 directly from you to the new owner, and the stamp will come back to you....then you call the buyer to come get their new toy.
Great!!! So there is some hope other than for scrap metal. On a different tactic, I had thought about giving it to a local LE office or find a 501 orginazation, then claiming it as a charitable contribution and tax deduction. Might be worth more as an itemized deduction. Trick is can a 501 organization possess a can, maybe for training purposes? :D I'm just brainstorming, most likely all wet.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by Bendersquint » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:29 am

hardcase wrote:
Great!!! So there is some hope other than for scrap metal. On a different tactic, I had thought about giving it to a local LE office or find a 501 orginazation, then claiming it as a charitable contribution and tax deduction. Might be worth more as an itemized deduction. Trick is can a 501 organization possess a can, maybe for training purposes? :D I'm just brainstorming, most likely all wet.
Good luck on that one, I have a customer that explored that option to get rid of a bunch of old cans and was told that it was considered a 'surrender' or 'disposal' since it was firearms.

What 501 organization would need a silencer?

It wouldn't be worth the paperwork since its based on value not what you paid for it. Is it worth it for a 1-200$ deduction?

User avatar
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by Fulliautomatix » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:51 am

So how does one dispose of a NFA device properly? Whether it is unusable, beyond repair or whatever reason you are getting rid of it. Are there any notification requirements (to the ATF) when disposing/destroying a registered device?
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by Bendersquint » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:58 am

Fulliautomatix wrote:So how does one dispose of a NFA device properly? Whether it is unusable, beyond repair or whatever reason you are getting rid of it. Are there any notification requirements (to the ATF) when disposing/destroying a registered device?
Can has to be completely destroyed and notify the NFA Branch in writing of its destruction.

What can is it?

We have done this for a number of cans over the years.

User avatar
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by Fulliautomatix » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:14 am

Purely hypothetical situation, I'm not disposing of any cans or other NFA devices for a long time. :D... but thanks for the info.
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

dark2023
Silent Operator
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by dark2023 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:56 pm

Could you not also hypothetically surrender it at your local ATF office?
A gun is meant to protect your life, not your wallet. Things can be replaced, people cant.

Deathray
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:20 pm

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by Deathray » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:54 pm

hardcase wrote:
Deathray wrote:Your best bet is to sell it to somebody directly in your state. One transfer tax only.
Is that possible without getting a dealer involved? I suppose the dealer could do just the paperwork.
Yep, I've purchased two suppressors and one SBR this way.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by Bendersquint » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:44 pm

dark2023 wrote:Could you not also hypothetically surrender it at your local ATF office?
Yeah you could, just call ahead and let them know you are bringing a firearm in for surrender and they will arrange the rest.

User avatar
Slow Hand
Silent Operator
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:46 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by Slow Hand » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:19 pm

I'm curious what kind of cans guys are looking at giving up? I understand there is much better technology in suppression than just a few short years ago, but I could find a use for even the crappiest can! If it were truly a worthless performing can, it'd be cooler to cut it in half lengthways for display than to surrender it to the ATF!

User avatar
continuity
Elite Member
Posts: 4554
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:39 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by continuity » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:37 am

Late to the party. I was looking for a period correct suppressor for my MAC. Ran across a guy with one he was willing to sell. Given what I was looking for, it was old tech, but I was willing to give $200 for it plus the stamp. Am all happy with what it is and how it performs. That is probably the only used suppressor I will ever buy. Too many reasons to go new.

Having said that, would think the market for used suppressors is limited. Figure 1/2 original price, and if the potential buyer is familiar with such things, I'd be prepared to go through a demonstration evolution.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick

Post Reply