New problem with a new suppressor on my AR15

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Lateck
Silent Operator

New problem with a new suppressor on my AR15

Post by Lateck »

I have a Rock River LAR15 rifle. I have never had a single problem with it (several hundred rounds through it).
I have an AAC break on it. I have shot it with a AAC 762SDN6 with no issues (75 rounds+/-).
Today I went to the range to use my new AAC 556SD. After a few rounds I had a failure to fire. Cleared and the next round was fallowed by 2 more, by it's self. I cleared the rifle and saw no problems.... Long story short, I had 4 incidents of bump firing and 2 more ftf's. All with the can on. I did remove the can and the rifle preformed perfectly.
No pins loose or any visual problems.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Lateck,
Aaron
Silent Operator

Re: New problem with a new suppressor on my AR15

Post by Aaron »

Almost has to be related to gas if your sure its not the ammo. I'd guess its over gassed.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Need more info about your gas system, buffer, etc.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Lateck
Silent Operator

Post by Lateck »

Conqueror wrote:Need more info about your gas system, buffer, etc.
Sorry, I don't know for sure. It is a stock RR, 16". I do know it is not a piston system. (I have this one AR and I am not an expert :? )

Lateck,
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

A little hard to understand your description but sounds like your bolt is cycling too fast to fully pick up the next round trying to come up from the mag. . this is because suppressors create extra blow back/gas pressure and your gas port ( hole in barrel ) may be on the big side. First thing I would do is go to a heavier buffer , you have a standard buffer then H2, then H3. I would jump straight to the H3 and see if it works both ways. You could mess with a stiffer spring also but I would try to barrow a heavy buffer to test.

Some manufactures use bigger gas ports for reliability but this is not good for cans.

You do want your gun to cycle both suppressed and non and if you slow the bolt too much weak ammo ( like Tula/ Wolf/ PMC) might not cycle unsuppressed.

Other options are changing the barrel or adjustable gas block.

now if your description was about chambered rounds not firing or doubling then never mind ,,your RRA two stage trigger has disconnector issues .
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Agree with above. It sounds like your rifle is over gassed. I have your buffer usually improve this. Try an H2 or H3.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

H2 buffer will most likely fix your timing issue.

H3 is designed for rifles that have excessive gas port erosion and a carbine length system mostly.

Adjustable gas block would be ideal, but again the H 2 will probably slow it down enough to cycle properly.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Lateck
Silent Operator

Post by Lateck »

Thank you all for your replies. :D
I'll start with the buffer as you are recommending (and the price for a buffer is reasonable). I do agree with you all on the over gassing. The ammo in the magazine started out shiny and after the bump fire, I removed the mag and the ammo looked almost like it was Russian stuff... :mrgreen:
By the way it was PMC.

Again thank you.

Lateck,
ShadesFox

Post by ShadesFox »

I know my LAR15 was over gassed. It was a 16" barrel with carbine gas system. Unsupressed it ran best with an H2 buffer. I've since replaced it with a 14.5" barrel with medium gas system and that runs like a champ with and without the can.

Definitely try the H2 and maybe a H3
Lateck
Silent Operator

Post by Lateck »

Follow up....
I have replaced the buffer spring with a Wolf Extra power spring and a H2 buffer. Was better, but still bumped fired, just not as often. Switched to a H3 buffer and I thought it was fixed. But on the third magazine it ran off four rounds by it's self.
I did a real good cleaning of the rifle in between swapping the H2 & H3.
I'm going to have a local smith take a look at the trigger and then I may have to order an adjustable gas block...

Your thoughts? Thanks again.

Lateck,
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

I'm curious if it could be a trigger issue, the hammer isn't catching when it drops back. The trigger/hammer pins aren't working loose are they?

If parts were out of spec from the factory or something was damaged, I suppose you could have an issue (and perhaps from just wear on a part that was already on the edge of failure) where the hammer is just on the edge of staying back, and occasionally slips off and returns forward.

I would put another lower on it (a buddy's or something) and see what happens.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Disconnector is bad. Probably getting ready to fail completely and not function at all.

Get rid of the s--t box G.I. trigger (good for 3,500 to 5,000 rounds) anyways and buy a geissle SSA.

Problem solved
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
ShadesFox

Post by ShadesFox »

Most RRAs come with their 2 stage trigger. I found it really goofy and ended up replacing it. If OP has a GI trigger I would actually suggest trying that out and seeing if the bumping is because of a weak trigger.