Cleaning baffles with stainless steel pins???

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Cleaning baffles with stainless steel pins???

Post by hardcase »

I saw some reference to this on another thread.

I have a "Thumbler" brand rotary tumbler I use will stainless steel pins to clean my brass before reloading. I use the pins, Dawn dish soap, and Lemishine.

Do I understand the information I read correctly that this same cleaning method can be used to clean internal suppressor parts? Even aluminum? The three cans I would like to clean are a Warlock II, a Mystic, and a Cobra II. All can be taken apart and have some aluminum parts.

Do the parts need to be cleaned one at a time or can everything inside the tube be put into the Thumbler at one time. I'd think this would be a bad thing for the tube as it could remove the printing on the outside of the tube.

I also have a vibratory brass cleaner and a reasonable supply of corn cob and walnut media. The vibratory cleaner cannot be used with a liquid.

I'm always on the hunt for easier as long as the process doesn't mess something up.
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cleaning baffles with stainless steel pins???

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Disclaimer: I have no hands on experience with this.

Every discussion I have read regarding SS media tumbling has said that it should not be used for aluminum parts due to it degrading the anodized layer.

Additionally, the general consensus for vibratory tumblers is that it is pretty much worthless for cleaning off carbon and/or lead residue from suppressor parts.
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Only have experience with the Octanes and the HTA SS Guardian 22 LR cans Wet xleaning w pints in a Model B Thumbler tumbler works for those very well indeed!
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Fulliautomatix wrote:...
Additionally, the general consensus for vibratory tumblers is that it is pretty much worthless for cleaning off carbon and/or lead residue from suppressor parts.
Truth, have both vibratory and a tumbler. Tumbler with steel pins is excellent on steel and brass.

Have not tried it on aluminum of any kind, would not use steel pins on anything with a coated finish unless you're trying to remove the coating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

If the material being tumbled is softer than the media damage will occur. In our experience SS pins damages anodizing.

I would not use SS pins on anything but steel, titanium or brass cases.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

What I expected. Back to the nitrile gloves and scrubbing Brushes :( :(
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Some claim that SS pins are fine on aluminum, but other reliable sources have found dimensional changes on aluminum backed and threads after tumbling. On SS or Ti baffles, it appears safer.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]