Is it worth it to upgrade a Spectre

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

emrisg
Silent But Deadly

Is it worth it to upgrade a Spectre

Post by emrisg »

I have a Spectre and I was wondering if the upgrade is worth it. Does it make the can easier to clean? I took mine apart yesterday and even with a tumbler with stainless pins it was a bitch. Probably 1200 rounds through the can.

Thanks
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Is it worth it to upgrade a Spectre

Post by rimshaker »

Definitely do the upgrade to SS baffles! You'd be amazed at what dip cleaning for a few days can do. You get improved endcaps for easier disassembly also.
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

Absolutely! The end caps are easier to remove, looks cooler too :D
emrisg
Silent But Deadly

Post by emrisg »

Does the tube stay cleaner?
Dieseljay

Post by Dieseljay »

emrisg wrote:Does the tube stay cleaner?

Kinda? It stays clean as long as your end caps are on pretty tight. If they are not gas will go around the stack making the tube slightly dirty... But compared to the first version might and day difference.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

rimshaker wrote:Definitely do the upgrade to SS baffles! You'd be amazed at what dip cleaning for a few days can do. You get improved endcaps for easier disassembly also.

My original Spectre is full stainless from day one, not really sure why some think they are not.

Use the "dip" and clean it once in awhile, I never understand how anybody can think an original Spectre is difficult to clean.

I never took to upgrade option, didn't see where it was worth the money and the end caps are ugly as hell.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
emrisg
Silent But Deadly

Post by emrisg »

I bought a Spectre 2 instead of upgrading when the upgrade 1st came out. The 2 is on a bolt gun that never gets shot and to be honest I have never taken the 2 apart.

The Spectre 1 is on my 22 kit for my m16 with a 4.5 inch barrel. It gets abused and although I got the baffles clean there is so much junk on the tube they won't go back in. I was going to upgrade just for ease of cleaning.

I have 2 small kids and a crazy job that take up most of my time so I usually clean when I have time not when I need to.

What is the best way to clean the tube? Carbon and lead are caked on right in front of the 1st baffle. I put the baffles in a tumbler with stainless pins for 7 hours and still had to use the dip to get the inside of the baffles clean.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Sigproshooter wrote:... I never understand how anybody can think an original Spectre is difficult to clean.
@emrisg - I always used a bore brush or a small wood handle brass brush on the Spectre tube. In theory you should be able to get the baffles back into the exit you used to remove them then push them all the way out the other end to knock stuff loose.

Had (at least) one of each old and new.

Shoot enough crappy ammo through the old one and the tube can get pretty crusty. When I bought the first Spectre they didn't come with the pusher tool, it was an extra $60 from the d̶i̶c̶k̶ dealer I used and a couple times the baffle stack was a bit of a challenge to remove.

I can't actually recall if I've ever shot as much or as crappy ammo through the new one but the baffles always slid right out of the tube with a gentle tap even if they were occasionally stuck together so tight I had to rap them with a stick to break them apart.

I upgraded the old one to the new stack, baffles are easy to remove now. Maybe when/if I ever get on the silicone bandwagon they'll be easy to take apart and clean too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Coltm4
Silent Operator

Post by Coltm4 »

I never upgraded and won't buy a new one because I hate the fugly endcaps as well. I use ultrasonic to clean, but even then it takes 4 hours. I'd like the new baffles, but I hate the end caps more than running my ultrasonic. :/
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I don't remember what the end caps look like.

All I know is the bullets that come out of it look like ... pew pew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

:lol:
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

Use the Warlock 2 on an SBR 10/22, same end cap. Don't like it because it gets snagged on things, clothes, pack, etc,,,
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

absolutely!

I used to have to crank the tool to get the baffles out on my old style Spectre baffles ... now the new ones push right out and seem easier to clean too.
I use the dip .
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales