Coyote Problem

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

GUNHEEP

Coyote Problem

Post by GUNHEEP »

Got a problem with coyotes circling around my wifes little fluffy dog...took a few shots at them with the S&W 5906...didnt do anything except scare them away..gun was a little loud...dont want the liberal neighbors to complain about the sound either, so i figured i will buy a H&K USP 45 or MK23 45 ... Need a can to go with it..any suggestions? Not too worried about price...just want the quietest and most durable can i can get..i can use some help, since this is not my area of expertise...thank you in advance
Andy
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Coyote Problem

Post by doubloon »

Don't have one in that caliber but I'd personally lean toward the Octane or Osprey.

That said, depending on where you are you could probably secure the free services of a member or two to to take care of that problem for you. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

You will NOT be disappointed with the Octane on a Mark 23. Mine's still in jail, but I had a conjugal visit last weekend and was amazed.
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

I have the factory KAC OHG can for the Mark 23. What a combo! Older design by today's standards, but it's a tank!

Also have the Osprey 45. Nice can on my Sig 220 Tac
cal50
Silent But Deadly

Post by cal50 »

+1 on the Osprey.

Branded for life, in more ways than one
Bradpierson26
Silent Operator

Post by Bradpierson26 »

What pushed you to those choices? I would opt for a suppressed 10/22 or 22/45 Lite. Not sure a combat sized .45 would be my choice for murdering yotes. Even a suppressed .300blk...
GUNHEEP

Post by GUNHEEP »

I have a ruger sr22 with an AAC ELEMENT 2 can...i want somthing a little bigger in a pistol...also the houses are too close for a rifle...i feel a little safer with the pistol, since the effective range is a lot less than with a rifle
So what do you think?
Thank you
Bradpierson26 wrote:What pushed you to those choices? I would opt for a suppressed 10/22 or 22/45 Lite. Not sure a combat sized .45 would be my choice for murdering yotes. Even a suppressed .300blk...
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

With .45 being "natively" subsonic and reliably cycling the slide, I think it's a reasonable choice over a .22 -- especially when you consider that .45 ammo is "trivial" to get a hold of and .22 (let alone subsonic, especially subsonic that will cycle a semi) for the most part isn't.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

sillycon wrote:With .45 being "natively" subsonic and reliably cycling the slide, I think it's a reasonable choice over a .22 -- especially when you consider that .45 ammo is "trivial" to get a hold of and .22 (let alone subsonic, especially subsonic that will cycle a semi) for the most part isn't.
90% of HV 22LR ammo is subsonic from a 4.5" barrel in a 22/45. And they cycle nicely... CCI Quiet won't cycle it, but just about everything else will.

And it's STUPID quiet, and plenty for a 'yote.

Jeff
Bradpierson26
Silent Operator

Post by Bradpierson26 »

GUNHEEP wrote:I have a ruger sr22 with an AAC ELEMENT 2 can...i want somthing a little bigger in a pistol...also the houses are too close for a rifle...i feel a little safer with the pistol, since the effective range is a lot less than with a rifle
So what do you think?
Thank you
Bradpierson26 wrote:What pushed you to those choices? I would opt for a suppressed 10/22 or 22/45 Lite. Not sure a combat sized .45 would be my choice for murdering yotes. Even a suppressed .300blk...
147g 9mm should be quieter than .45 because of bore size.
9mm gives you more rounds on tap as well in case things go sideways with the yotes
GUNHEEP

Post by GUNHEEP »

Thanks for the replies guys...anymore suggestions on a can?
Bradpierson26
Silent Operator

Post by Bradpierson26 »

GUNHEEP wrote:Thanks for the replies guys...anymore suggestions on a can?
Check out Cherokee Gun and Pawn in GA, Quiet Riot Firearms, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers in VA, or Silencershop in TX. Ti-rant, Octane, Osprey, Griffon Rev, etc. Whatever's in stock at a good price. GM-9 and SF Ryder are still very new but seem like they have competitive specs. A mystic X may even be a worthwhile consideration.
jryock

Post by jryock »

I'd vote for an Octane 9 and the use of hollowpoints if you are set on a pistol round.

Hitting the right spot with a 300BLK subsonic out of a handirifle or bolt action would be a good option.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Octane 45
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
KiA

Post by KiA »

the problem to me seems to be the little fluffy chew toy, not the coyotes. let the coyotes have that one. rescue a bigger dog. cheaper & quicker. :P
morris
Senior Silent Operator

Post by morris »

I love my Mark 23 and Osprey, it just works and looks like a matched set. Customer service at Silencerco was always top notch anytime I needed them.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

KiA wrote:the problem to me seems to be the little fluffy chew toy, not the coyotes. let the coyotes have that one. rescue a bigger dog. cheaper & quicker. :P
Too bad there's no LIKE button on forums...

I own an 80 lb "coyote", AKA a BIG male Siberian Husky. I'm guessing it'd take 4-5 of those coyotes to take him.

JW
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

Key word is "wife's". That alone makes a bigger dog a "NO OPTION"! Just a reason to get another toy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

Osprey, Octane, GM-9, all will work well.

The "Best can" is going to come down to personal preference. Don't want suppressor sights on things, then an Osprey may look better to you. Want something that may see subgun use, pistol caliber carbine, or need to clean it? Octane. GM-9 is fairly small and monocore, so not exactly a mix between the two but has some strengths and weaknesses of both.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
GUNHEEP

Post by GUNHEEP »

hunter2 wrote:Key word is "wife's". That alone makes a bigger dog a "NO OPTION"! Just a reason to get another toy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is correct in the key word. "WIFES". Penti is a brave little dog...she thinks she is a 140lb. Dog in a 14lb body...the other day a customer came over with his 120lb yellow lab and she attacked him...i just dont want them cyotes sniffing around thats all..
GUNHEEP

Post by GUNHEEP »

Joshua@CapitolArmory wrote:Osprey, Octane, GM-9, all will work well.

The "Best can" is going to come down to personal preference. Don't want suppressor sights on things, then an Osprey may look better to you. Want something that may see subgun use, pistol caliber carbine, or need to clean it? Octane. GM-9 is fairly small and monocore, so not exactly a mix between the two but has some strengths and weaknesses of both.
Josh
I talked to Torrey before i made this post and he told me the osprey or octane...i like the osprey for the flow of design and use of standard sightes...but i think he said the octane was a little quieter? I do not recall?
I am still not sure on what can to buy?
Thank you
Andy
Last edited by GUNHEEP on Fri May 22, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

I personally haven't found much value in taller sights on my suppressed handguns. From my experience, they are FAR more prone to catching on stuff (especially without the can on the gun), and they still aren't tall enough to actually see around the can so you end up sighting "through" the can anyway.

Standard sights are certainly not going to let you shoot surgically with a can on, but realistically few (if any) of us will be doing that anyway.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

If he's shooting at yotes with a handgun he's going to need something a little better than Kentucky windage if he wants to hit them.

Taller sights or a red dot will allow for a little more precision at 50+ yards assuming the hand is steady.

It works on turtles out at the ranch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

For 50+ yard shots on a moving target, a handgun wouldn't be my first choice. I'd want something with a longer sight radius and more points of contact/stability. If wanting to stay pistol-caliber, then a 9mm AR with 147's or such, perhaps. With a hasty sling, that would be a VERY devastating setup in the "up to 100yd" range (and perhaps even a bit further).
GUNHEEP

Post by GUNHEEP »

I won't be able to hit anything on my property outside of 50 yards if i am lucky...my property is heavily wooded?.that is why i want a big bore pistol to go through the small srubs and brush...suppressing a 50AE would be nice, but the follow up shot would be a little tricky