Griffen reece 7 vs Thunder Beast Ultra 9CB

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

JetNoise

Griffen reece 7 vs Thunder Beast Ultra 9CB

Post by JetNoise »

Any feedback on the Thunder Beast Ultra 9CB. Wondering if its worth the extra $$ over the Reece 7>
Conqueror
Elite Member

Re: Griffen reece 7 vs Thunder Beast Ultra 9CB

Post by Conqueror »

I'm not sure if there are any Ultra 7/9s in the wild yet.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
HansohnBrothers

Post by HansohnBrothers »

I've had an Ultra 7 for about a month but haven't really done any comparison testing. My Ultra 9 is in with regular production and should be heading my way by the end of June. By then I should have some time to get to the range.
Hansohn Brothers, LLC
Culpeper, VA
www.HansohnBrothers.com
540-748-8155
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

We've got an Ultra 7... but no 9 just yet. There's some dealers with demo cans... but that's about it right now. They're few and far between.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

Generally speaking, both cans are designed for different applications. The Thunderbeast is a titanium can design for light weight and precision. It's best used on a bolt action rifle or for SLOW firing from a semi-auto. heating it up really fast will destroy the can quickly. From what I read, the Recce 7 is Griffin's version of the SDN-6 or Saker 762. It's a medium sized 30 cal can meant for semi-auto & full-auto fire. its not as quite or as potential accurate as the Ultra 9CB, but it is much stronger and more versatile.
JetNoise

Post by JetNoise »

Thanks for the feedback.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Am buying an Ultra7 for a bolt gun.

Would never buy a Recce7 at all for any gun. Your application and needs may very. (Reasons... Why would I buy a regular size, mid-range 30 cal can at 19oz without mount, from a very small mfg, no military contracts, likely less extensive scientific testing, no mounts I can buy at retail locations, etcetc? .... I just see value in areas beyond "dbs" because you know what... lol if anyone is buying a rifle can based on claimed sound performance)
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

I've got a recently-received 30P1, and I have to say it's downright impressive. It is QUIET, even with 175gr SMK's cooking along at ~2750fps in a .308. Recoil drops to barely notable levels -- it rather reminded me of a .22lr bolt gun. 168gr FGMM ammo went from 1.8" groups to .4" groups at 100yd. POI shift (center to center) between can/no-can with the 168gr FGMM is ~2" up and ~.5" right @ 100yd with the can on. Repeatability is also good - the point of impact (center to center) moves ~.25" at 100yd when removing and reinstalling the can (with shots fired between removal and reinstallation).

I'll be shooting it out to 1000yd later this month once I finalize my 175gr load (I still need to test seating depth adjustments to fine tune group size), but based on my present experience with TBAC, I'd be hard-pressed to look elsewhere for a precision bolt-gun can.
morris
Senior Silent Operator

Post by morris »

I have a 30P1 also and really love shooting it I dont think it could get much better. But before I had 100 rounds through it (winter time) the ultra 9 came out and it is about 4 or 5 db quieter, that thing has to be amazing.

What length barrel are you getting those velocities out of they seem a little
fast?
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

24" Lothar Walther barrel.

Load:
Lapua brass
Winchester LRP
44.2gr Varget
175smk
2.800" OAL (total length)

Velocity measurements are from a Shooting Chrony Gamma Master. Average is 2740fps. Chrono placed ~15 feet in front of muzzle. I do not have pressure signs (heavy bolt lift, flat primers, ejector marks, etc.) and QL calculates the pressure to be < 60kpsi.

Even still, I consider it a "hot" load.

What boggles my mind is that some folks claim > 2850fps with Varget in a 24" .308 barrel!! :shock: