Savage A17?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BlakeJ
Silent But Deadly

Savage A17?

Post by BlakeJ »

I'm wanting to get one of those new savage A17 rifles and chop it to 16" for my Spectre. Does anyone know if there will be enough barrel diameter to thread?

Also, it's a delayed blowback system. Will that work ok suppressed?
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Re: Savage A17?

Post by Deathray »

Delayed blowback is generally a good thing. However the reports I have seen on this beast have been very poor in terms of reliability.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Deathray wrote:Delayed blowback is generally a good thing. However the reports I have seen on this beast have been very poor in terms of reliability.
I wonder if the reliability is affected by which 17 HMR is being used. There are two types out there: the normal kind, and then some new stuff called "A17" that operates at a considerably higher pressure.... well... 'considerable' for a rimfire. I had heard that it was possible to use the old stuff in the Savage A17, but I wonder if the reliability decreases as a result.

Honestly, I don't understand the point of the Savage A17. The 17 HMR is, in my opinion, meant to be a very accurate, flat-shooting round.... exactly the kind of thing that works best in a bolt-action with very deliberate fire and shot-placement.

If there was a replacement stock for the Savage A17 which included a pistol-grip configuration and a larger capacity magazine, then I'd see where they're going -- a lower-powered, lower-recoiling AR alternative. But a 10-round magazine? And paired with that particular cartridge? I don't get it. Maybe it's just about bragging rights.... you know, "We've got the only semi-auto 17 HMR out there! (excluding AR versions)"
BlakeJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlakeJ »

So what's the problem that it's having? Not cycling?

A can would fix that.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I like the 17hmr round and would love a nice semi auto as much as the next guy. That said I won't be beta testing for Savage on this one.

As I understand it, the 17hmr has inherent properties that make it problematic in semi autos. The internet has all sorts of half baked explanations of why that is (thin case walls, bad attitude, whatever) but the long and short of it is that a number of companies have tried and failed to make a semi auto 17hmr that works. It can be done, but it hasn't been done well yet. Might this be The One? Maybe. Smart money is to hold off a year or two and let them trouble shoot it. Who knows, maybe by then they make a respectable full capacity magazine.

On a related note, some rifles in 17wsm that are better than the b-mag would be nice.