Silencers legal in MN now.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ranb
Silent But Deadly

Silencers legal in MN now.

Post by ranb »

Governor Dayton had previously threatened to veto any silencer bill, but this morning signed SF878, an omnibus safety bill into law.

It has several gun control provisions in addition to easing the strict controls on silencer use by the police and allowing civilian possession. The Governor will no longer have the authority to seize firearms during a state of emergency. CCW holders will no longer need to provide notification to the Commissioner of Public Safety to carry at the MN State Capitol complex. Reciprocity for CCW is changed and MN law will be clarified concerning purchase of long guns in other states.

Ranb
Last edited by ranb on Fri May 22, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sielncers legal in MN now.

Post by Prince Yamato »

This is awesome news! Iowa, Vermont, and Illinois, you sons-a-bitches are next!
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Re: Silencers legal in MN now.

Post by johndoe3 »

Congrats to all the people who helped to make legal suppressors in MN possible, including the legislators who opted to include it in a must-pass Omnibus bill (after the Guv said he would veto a law legalizing suppressors). Plus, I'm guessing the Guv's office heard from a lot of constituents who wanted it signed.

Also, thanks Ranb for your part in the process in MN (demonstrating suppressors to legislators and providing advice for a law). Well done!
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I didn't do anything in MN. I live in WA where I did as much as I could to get the bill passed in 2011.

A couple of years ago I met with Senator Wolf along with two other MN residents. We convinced her that a silencer bill was a good move; she agreed to sponsor a bill if her fellow Senators went along with it. It all came to nothing when she was not re-elected.

The credit in MN goes to Representative Cornish and the GOCRA. They had a vary large showing of residents at the hearings, much more than I was able to bring to hearings in Olympia WA. The GOCRA in MN kicked ass.

I'm going to be at the Northwoods Sportsman range near Barnum the first week of July with several suppressed firearms if anyone wants to join me. http://www.northwoodsshooting.com/ I just got off the phone with the club president and he says the range is usually very quiet. Chances are that I and anyone else at the range will be alone. It is members only, but only $35 a year. I'm joining so I can use it a few times each year when I visit MN in the summer and Christmas. I can bring a few guests, but not a crowd

Randy
[email protected]
(360) 440-5889
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

Reciprocity changed, for the good or the bad, change is not always good of course, though I suspect it is good.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Cool, state number 40 that allows civies to buy cans.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

This is awesome news! Iowa, Vermont, and Illinois, you sons-a-bitches are next!
The Vermont legislature passed suppressor legalization on 5/15/2015 as an amendment to a Fish and Wildlife bill, and it is before the Guv right now (if he signs it, then suppressors will be legal in Vermont).

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015051 ... egislature

http://legislature.vermont.gov/bill/status/2016/H.5
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I did not see anything in the above link about silencers.

Here is the bill;
http://legislature.vermont.gov/assets/D ... df#page=96
FRIDAY, MAY 15, 2015 2095
(b) A person shall not manufacture, make, or import a gun suppressor,
except for:

(1) a licensed manufacturer, as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921, who is
registered as a manufacturer pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 5802;
(2) a licensed importer, as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921, who is registered
as an importer pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 5802; or
(3) a person who makes a gun suppressor in compliance with the
requirements of 26 U.S.C. § 5822.

(c) A person shall not use a gun suppressor in the State, except for use by:
(1) a Level III certified law enforcement officer or Department of Fish
and Wildlife employee in connection with his or her duties and responsibilities
and in accordance with the policies and procedures of that officer's or
employee’s agency or department;
(2) the Vermont National Guard in connection with its duties and
responsibilities;
(3) a licensed manufacturer or a licensed importer, as defined in 18
U.S.C. § 921, who is also registered as a manufacturer or an importer pursuant
to 26 U.S.C. § 5802, who in the ordinary course of his or her business as a
manufacturer or as an importer tests the operation of the gun suppressor; or
(4) a person lawfully using a sport shooting range.

(d)(1) A person who violates subsection (b) of this section shall be fined
not less than $500.
00 for each offense.
(2) A person who violates subsection (c) of this section shall be fined
$50 for each offense.
Bolding and underlining mine.
So the little people can possess a can in accordance with federal law but only use it at a sport shooting range, whatever that is. VT law still sucks, just sucks a bit less. There is a sunset provision that makes it illegal to possess a can after two years.

Ranb
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

(4) a person lawfully using a sport shooting range.
I know this is better than nothing, but it's still BS. I use cans on my home defense guns. "Sport"... sigh... baby steps.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

The NRAILA article seems to have implied more than is allowed in the Bill, thanks for pointing that out Ranb.
NRAILA article...gun owners succeeded in passing suppressor legalization legislation. Vermont now joins the 39 other states where suppressors are legal to own. These devices are important instruments that help protect the hearing of hunters and recreational shooters in addition to abating the noise of shooting ranges.
How can it protect the hearing of hunters in Vermont, if one cannot carry a suppressor in the field to hunt any wild animals?

Yeah, shooting range only use is baby steps. On the positive side, it is legalization of suppressor ownership after 103 years of prohibition in Vermont (if the Guv signs it).
GUNHEEP

Post by GUNHEEP »

Ohio always allowed silencers ownership for their citizens...our governor signed into law this year a bill that allows cans to be used while hunting...i see good and bad in that...but i hope for the best
goalie

Post by goalie »

My USMC acquired tinnitus approves of this law!!!!!
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

goalie wrote:My USMC acquired tinnitus approves of this law!!!!!
Thanks for your service! My self inflicted tinnitus approves too.....
I've gotta stop this habit.
BearTHIS
Silent Operator

Post by BearTHIS »

GUNHEEP wrote:Ohio always allowed silencers ownership for their citizens...our governor signed into law this year a bill that allows cans to be used while hunting...i see good and bad in that...but i hope for the best
What part do you consider "bad"?