Storm lake threaded barrel concerns

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Storm lake threaded barrel concerns

Post by Michael Black 47 »

Has anyone noticed that their barrels from Storm Lake comma primarily the threads chip away a little bit at the end of them.

The past Thursday I went to the gun range to have a conjugal visit with my octane 45 and FM let's move the threads were perfect my 30 barrel from Storm Lake was brand new. I put it all together and started shooting I had a small first round pop after that it was as quiet as a air gun. The only concern after I finish line was that I notice that the threading at the end of the barrel was kind of chipping away. I was wondering if anyone here knows if it is normal or to be expected when shooting suppressed?

Also on a side note the octane 45 shooting suppress is the bee's knees to say the least. It really does tame that 45 down to nearly nothing.
I was with my father and had him shoot my XD 45 tactical unsuppressed to which she had a normal response. But after I put the suppressor on and shout it his eyes open up wide. Sighting that that was a dramatic reduction in sound.
ugareloader

Re: Storm lake threaded barrel concerns

Post by ugareloader »

I can't really help regarding from experience but I would doubt a correctly threaded barrel would chip. I do however have experience with Storm Lake and it has not been good. I went thru 2 incorrectly cut barrels and still waiting on a correct one nearly 3 months after purchase. I think Storm Lakes quality might of been lost after they were acquired by the Freedom Group/Remington. I would give them a call but sometimes it is very difficult to reach someone
T78m6b
Silent But Deadly

Post by T78m6b »

I have a SL 9mm barrel, so far no worries
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Ugareloader might have a point, I have a pre Remington SL threaded 1911 barrel ( using Octane 45) and it is perfect and very acurate! Also have a standard SL 1911 barrel that shoots nice groups .

Maybe they are on a rushed ensembly line now and QC suffers. :shock:

Send it back for a new one.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Emilio wrote:Ugareloader might have a point, I have a pre Remington SL threaded 1911 barrel ( using Octane 45) and it is perfect and very acurate! Also have a standard SL 1911 barrel that shoots nice groups .

Maybe they are on a rushed ensembly line now and QC suffers. :shock:

Send it back for a new one.

I'll take some pictures and then everyone can through their extra 2 cent in. 8) the chipping happened after I took off the suppressor from the barrel.

but I really am thing of sending it back to the company.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Send it back, I have a TON of threaded barrels and zero issues. Defect for sure.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Emilio wrote:Send it back, I have a TON of threaded barrels and zero issues. Defect for sure.
Thank you for your information. I'm getting in contact with them and its kind of sad that I have to send it back. It was a blast to shoot it with the octane 45. Now I have to wait for a while to get it back from storm lake.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Michael Black 47 wrote:
Emilio wrote:Send it back, I have a TON of threaded barrels and zero issues. Defect for sure.
Thank you for your information. I'm getting in contact with them and its kind of sad that I have to send it back. It was a blast to shoot it with the octane 45. Now I have to wait for a while to get it back from storm lake.

well after a long long wait of 5 months they took my barrel with no replacement but they were sorry about it and cut me a check for the cost of it. also it seems that they don't know when they will even have the barrels for my XD coming in. Got to thank Remington for this one.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Michael Black 47 wrote:
Also on a side note the octane 45 shooting suppress is the bee's knees to say the least. It really does tame that 45 down to nearly nothing.
I was with my father and had him shoot my XD 45 tactical unsuppressed to which she had a normal response. But after I put the suppressor on and shout it his eyes open up wide. Sighting that that was a dramatic reduction in sound.
I've got an Octane 45K still in jail... Can't wait!

JW
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I have two barrels. One for a 9mm Glock19 and another for a Sig P229. Both were drop in, no fitting and work well. The Glock purchased about 4 years ago, the Sig about 2 years ago.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

I still have the m&pC9 threaded barrel from them and there is no problems with it at all. just got to get a piston for it, can't borrow all the time :wink: . :D Now that will be quiet with some wire gel and 147gr rounds. :lol: the bee's knees.

Its one out of two and I'm ok with that. plus the money that i got back from them is going into my FNX 45 Tactical fun right now so you know what that means.

They had great customer services and they dug into it for me to solve my problem. even tho it didn't pan out they honored their word. I think they had a bit more stability when they were independent. "thats my two cents there"