Anyone put a silencer on a revolver?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Anyone put a silencer on a revolver?

Post by YugoRPK »

Not talking about Nagants. I keep hearing about how it won't work and I'm sure it wouldnt be 100% silenced but these things never are. Even the silenced nagants still have the supersonic crack. Never seen anyone actually try it though. Ive got an old Pietta 1858 I paid $70 for that has been beat pretty hard I was thinking about chopping the barrel off and threading it for my 45 Tirant. With low pressure cowboy loads in a conversion cylinder can throw 240 grains out at 800 FPS or so. I realize theres going to be some pop out the side but how bad is it really? As loud as a .22? Less? More?
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Anyone put a silencer on a revolver?

Post by Bendersquint »

YugoRPK wrote:Not talking about Nagants. I keep hearing about how it won't work and I'm sure it wouldnt be 100% silenced but these things never are. Even the silenced nagants still have the supersonic crack. Never seen anyone actually try it though. Ive got an old Pietta 1858 I paid $70 for that has been beat pretty hard I was thinking about chopping the barrel off and threading it for my 45 Tirant. With low pressure cowboy loads in a conversion cylinder can throw 240 grains out at 800 FPS or so. I realize theres going to be some pop out the side but how bad is it really? As loud as a .22? Less? More?

Its TERRIBLE!

I would rather an unsuppressed Beretta21 over the suppressed 38SPL I shot.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I have no experience with this.

But the way it was explained to me was that the cylinder acts as a muzzle-brake... at least in terms of what it does to the sound. This makes sense because the gas is being directed against a solid stop and re-directed to the sides -- just like with a muzzle brake.

I've also read that it makes the guns louder. I've always just assumed that this was a subjective assertion, and that it just seemed to be louder to the shooter. I suspect that a silenced (non-Nagant) would be quieter down-range.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I have the Nagant - and if you use 32-20 brass instead of correct 7.62x38R brass the suppressor causes enough back pressure that it really comes out of the gap left between the forcing cone and the cylinder. I've read of using the dan wesson and turning the gap to almost nothing but the gun locks up and the gap still lets out gases, is my understanding.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I kind of always thought that the idea of putting a silencer on a revolver was like trying to cut the grooves in a record more precisely for better sound quality... or changing the material from vinyl to something harder so that the quality wouldn't degrade over time. Basically that it's retro-solving a problem that has already been solved in better, more tried-and-true ways.

A 'plain-Jane' 9mm GLOCK with a drop-in barrel from essentially any manufacturer is going to beat the pants off of virtually any custom, one-of-a-kind, precision engineered, blah-blah-blah silenced revolver in virtually every metric: suppression, reliability, cost, capacity, reload speed.... everything but bragging rights.

A silenced revolver is like driving around in a functional steam-powered car. With great headache and hardship, you can make it happen... and then you'll be at a stop light right next to someone doing the same thing you've done using gasoline at a fraction of the price and an even smaller fraction of the headache.
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

Well put way of saying it's goina sound like s--t. :lol:
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I once wondered if it was possible to make something like a rotating ball valve to seal the chamber but pondering materials, tolerances, wear, etc ... gave me a headache.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895