Help me on my quest for a quiet rifle

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Help me on my quest for a quiet rifle

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I have been on a quest to find a semi-auto rifle that is not a 22 and is possible to comfortably shoot suppressed. I'm looking for suggestions from others, I currently have a Sparrow, Octane 9 and Saker 762. So far I have tried a few different things but have been disappointed so far.

I have a 4.5" 9mm AR15 but the action noise is uncomfortable to shoot to my right ear. The suppression level is good otherwise.

I have also tried a 300 blk with an 8.2" barrel and subs but again the action noise is too loud and the suppression level isn't sufficient to keep my left ear from getting irritated. Now, my 16" bolt action is comfortable to shoot even with Supersonic 300 blk suppressed. Subsonic 150gr with trailboss is awesome in the bolt action, it's as quiet as my 22lr suppressed with standard velocity. I'm sure that having a 16" barrel would make the 300 blk more comfortable but then it becomes awkward where my 8.2" is very comfortable to carry and hold.

The only possible solution I've come up with at this point is the Sig MPX with a 4-6" barrel and my Octane. This way there is no buffer tube in my right ear to bother it and the 9mm seems to suppress well enough to be comfortable.

On my 16" Ar15 in 223 I can comfortably shoot it with only an earplug in my right ear because of the bolt noise.

Are there any other suggestions you guys can offer?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help me on my quest for a quiet rifle

Post by Emilio »

hyrulejedi86 wrote:I have been on a quest to find a semi-auto rifle that is not a 22 and is possible to comfortably shoot suppressed. I'm looking for suggestions from others, I currently have a Sparrow, Octane 9 and Saker 762. So far I have tried a few different things but have been disappointed so far.

I have a 4.5" 9mm AR15 but the action noise is uncomfortable to shoot to my right ear. The suppression level is good otherwise.

I have also tried a 300 blk with an 8.2" barrel and subs but again the action noise is too loud and the suppression level isn't sufficient to keep my left ear from getting irritated. Now, my 16" bolt action is comfortable to shoot even with Supersonic 300 blk suppressed. Subsonic 150gr with trailboss is awesome in the bolt action, it's as quiet as my 22lr suppressed with standard velocity. I'm sure that having a 16" barrel would make the 300 blk more comfortable but then it becomes awkward where my 8.2" is very comfortable to carry and hold.

The only possible solution I've come up with at this point is the Sig MPX with a 4-6" barrel and my Octane. This way there is no buffer tube in my right ear to bother it and the 9mm seems to suppress well enough to be comfortable.

On my 16" Ar15 in 223 I can comfortably shoot it with only an earplug in my right ear because of the bolt noise.

Are there any other suggestions you guys can offer?
Have you tied heavier buffers in the 9mm and 300blk? the 9 needs a longer or spaced buffer as well. In no whay have mine (mutiple of both and use Octanes) hurt my ears. the only annoying rifle I have is a .556 AUG where the gas port can bother the right ear but im making a shield for it. :)

BTW, love trail boss in some calibers, are you using a fast powder in 9MM?
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I have a spikes 9mm combo for my 9mm AR which is a spacer to reduce bolt travel and a heavier buffer. Unfortunately, my loads became unreliable with that buffer so I switched back to a standard carbine buffer. I'm currently using universal powder but I recently bought some tightgroup to give a try. I couldn't hear a difference with the tightgroup in my handgun and haven't gotten to try it out in my AR yet. But the sound of the shot didn't bother me it was the action noise. I could put an ear plug in my right ear only and be good to go. Trailboss is absolutely awesome with the 150 Xtreme plated bullets it just smells sulfury to me.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

You could go to a JP captured buffer assembly. Pricy, but might do exactly what you want. Minimal buffer spring noise.

JW
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I have been seriously considering the JP assembly but your right the price is a deterrent when I'm not sure if it will even make a difference. I've looked up allot of discussions and reviews of it and there seems to be allot of back and forth as to whether or not they are worth it.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Piston systems, and adjustable gas blocks make a HUGE difference in sound at the shooters ear, so do longer gas system lengths. My rifle length systems are considerably quieter than my carbine length systems, especially with an adjustable block.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
muellerdeal

Post by muellerdeal »

i love my JP captured spring my 10.5 300blk is quiet, adjustable gas block too..., not as quiet as my h&r handi, but quiet. my f1 can on a 16" barrel 300blk without JP or adj. gas is not near as quiet.... my .02

edited.... no zing zing in your ear..
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent Operator

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

I personally have 5 of the JP silent capture systems, 4 are on 300 Blks and 1 is on a 5.56...i will be buying the 9mm version for my AR9 SBR build...doesn't necessarily do anything with the "action noise", but silences the buffer-spring twang to zero...makes it much more comfortable, especially shooting suppressed...
Keep in mind, if you buy and try the JP SCS, and you DONT like it, you can get the majority of your investment back selling it in CLASSIFIEDS section...
It's always the quiet guy in the room...with a suppressor.
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

That's a pretty good point about the spring. I suppose I should start saving up a bit between everything else we need right now and pick one up. I just wish you didn't need another one for 9mm.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

+1 JP captured spring. They also have spring kits and different weights so you can adjust for the loads you are using. Ya not cheap but cheaper then a new rifle.
dagamore

Post by dagamore »

but with the capture spring, you dont get the sprong of FREEDOM!!!