No Silencer Magazines?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

No Silencer Magazines?

Post by JasonNC »

Hello All,

I have been collecting firearms my whole life but I really have the NFA bug lately. I consider myself lucky enough to have three suppressors in my possession now and three stamps pending. I'm saving my pennies in an attempt to keep a steady flow of NFA goodness in my life. I just can't get enough reading and researching different models, baffle systems, etc. and can't believe with the popularity of silencers lately, there is no dedicated printed magazine. Anyone know of one in the works? If not, which gun mag has the most silencer content? I have noticed an occasional article in Guns and Ammo, etc but geez, I think there is enough demand for a dedicated magazine. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Jason
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: No Silencer Magazines?

Post by TROOPER »

I disagree that there is enough demand to warrant a monthly periodical. Honestly, even a quarterly is probably the equivalent of a "24-hour-news-cycle" for the world of silencers.

There's also issues of testing. The most important aspect of a silencer is its sound reduction... but there may be inconsistencies from one person's test to another, and for such a wide number of reasons that it isn't even safe to just write-it-off as deceit. So what happens is that the author or author-team of the periodical will independently test the goods, and then state numbers that may be the same as what the manufacturer posted... or it may vary a little... or it may vary a lot. Then what happens? People get testy, and accusations get tossed out. It also makes it less likely that a particular manufacturer will submit units for future review.

... and the heck of it is that there may not even be any attempt at deceit. But in an industry where gains may occur a decibel at a time, that one or two decibels may well be the difference between #1 versus tied for #3. And it's crazy, because even in one testing session, the sound signature can vary a bit from shot-to-shot.

This isn't to dampen your enthusiasm, but... I just don't think it's practical. I don't think it's realistic. I think that at best, our mutual interest will continue to be an occasional mention in the various gun rags out there.
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

Thanks Trooper for poo pooing on my hopes and dreams!! lol All valid points though!
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I am not sure I have bought any printed magazine in the last 10 years. They are like $6 now but saturated with ads. The articles are puff and they never say anything bad about any product as they don't want to lose their ad placements.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

A silencer magazine would only need to be released once a year lol. Ok perhaps two.

However, a general NFA magazine would be more like it. That would be a cool quarterly subscription 8)
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

suppressors are still taboo to many , i think you can find more online then a magazine . i think magazines are on the way out , kinda like sear catalog way back . hell in the 50 ties you could buy a house from sears lol

plus i dont want suppressors to go mainstream . then fucking politicans will F--k it up with new rules and whatnot

still pisses me off i got a friend in NZ where you can walk in buy any suppressors right on the spot and walk out . :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

ericdraven wrote:still pisses me off i got a friend in NZ where you can walk in buy any suppressors right on the spot and walk out . :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
If only they could do the same with the firearms necessary to make a suppressor useful. ;)
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

sillycon wrote:
ericdraven wrote:still pisses me off i got a friend in NZ where you can walk in buy any suppressors right on the spot and walk out . :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
If only they could do the same with the firearms necessary to make a suppressor useful. ;)

true lol
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

JasonNC wrote:Haha I knew it!! Found one.

https://store.intermediaoutdoors.com/pr ... -Supressor
Well I'll be darned. I'll have to check the various magazine stands.
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

I hope they offer a subscription service as this is just what I was looking for.
cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Post by cvasqu03 »

Awesome, I'll give it a try for an issue or two.
PBinWA

Post by PBinWA »

Only 5.99 at Amazon:

http://smile.amazon.com/Guns-Ammo-Suppr ... B017P8HY6C

Forget it - it's more expensive after the 4.99 shipping. :cry:
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

lol! I just saw this magazine in the store this past weekend and thought of this thread... :D
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Picked it up today. Haven't opened it yet. . .
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

I didn't even realize it was from Guns and Ammo when I ordered. I probably could have found it at a book store. I am waiting on mine to show in the mail.
cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Post by cvasqu03 »

Just got mine. It's OK. I didn't realize it was the first issue so I'll probably be keeping this one in my collection of publications. It has the look and feel of a regular G&A magazine that was simply devoted to suppressors, which I guess is what it is.

Most of the articles are pretty interesting though their "subsonic ammo roundup" was kind of a letdown as all it did was list some subsonic ammo put out by manufacturers without delving into performance issues or testing. It didn't even have all that I know is available. From what I can see it only had the ammo that the manufacturers are marketing as subsonic, not the stuff that just happens to be subsonic. For instance, it didn't list the Fiocci 158 grain that was discussed here recently.

That being said, I haven't finished reading through all of it and it already has given me some ideas for dealing with heat. Up until now, I've been carrying around a thick set of welding gloves in my suppressor bag to use when handling the hot suppressors, but they listed a couple of barbecue gloves that are apparently designed to handle very high heat and allow a heck of a lot more dexterity. I'll probably be looking into these soon.

Off topic, don't you just love how we all repurpose all types of goods for our hobby? Its like we don't even need our own publication, people are buying ultrasonic cleaners, eye and ear protection at harbor freight, cleaning supplies at Walmart and such and just sharing information in forums like this one.
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

Would you have names for those gloves?
Can Fan

Post by Can Fan »

JasonNC wrote:Haha I knew it!! Found one.

https://store.intermediaoutdoors.com/pr ... -Supressor
I ordered the issue - Thanks!
cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Post by cvasqu03 »

mk23 wrote:Would you have names for those gloves?
You'll have to buy the magazine to find out.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Post by cvasqu03 »

Just kidding. I didn't have the magazine with me when I originally posted and I couldn't remember the names. They list two url's

oveglove.com and
grillheataid.com

They say the oveglove can handle temperatures up to 540 degrees, while the Grill Heat Aid, which is thicker can handle up to 932 degrees.

The Oveglove is available through Amazon, while the Grill Heat Aid seems to be still in beta testing.

Edit to add: Check that, though the Grill Heat Aid website seems to say it's it beta testing, the black version is available through Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RUBZNDQ/
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

Thank you!

Bought a set, should be here on Sat. I'll give them a go!
cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Post by cvasqu03 »

mk23 wrote:Thank you!

Bought a set, should be here on Sat. I'll give them a go!

Cool, but now you have to post a review. :)

Which ones did you get?
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

Will do:

I got the ones you added in your Edit, off Amazon:

Grill Heat Aid: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RUBZNDQ/
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »