Liberty Regulator

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BABore

Liberty Regulator

Post by BABore »

I've seen a couple sound tests and a lot of good comments on this 22 suppressor, but I've yet to see where anyone actually has one in hand and has tried it. Thinking about getting one. Comments????
ZX6RNinja

Re: Liberty Regulator

Post by ZX6RNinja »

BABore wrote:I've seen a couple sound tests and a lot of good comments on this 22 suppressor, but I've yet to see where anyone actually has one in hand and has tried it. Thinking about getting one. Comments????
I have one waiting on the stamp. Shot it at my SOT's gun club with my M&P 22compact using CCI standard velocity ammo. I would use one word to describe it, awesome. I shot a friend's Spectre II with the same gun/ammo and while it was quiet and is a beast of a can, I would say the Regulator was a tad quieter but without a meter, who knows. What I do know is there was ZERO perceived FRP even though Liberty says the meter showed 3dB. Even though the Regulator is longer it feels MUCH lighter than the Spectre II, the Regulator is NOT rated for 5.7 though. My SOT owns a Sparrow and said that has a very noticeable FRP.

His comment to me on the Regulator was "it's the quietest .22 can I've ever heard", and he's been in the game a long time. I never thought I'd go with a monocore because of that FRP but I can tell you I am sooooo glad I chose the Regulator.
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

waiting on my regulator as i speak :mrgreen: . cant friggin wait !!!
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

They're great. One of, if not the, best sounding 22 cans on the market. The only downside is the length, but performance is top notch.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
ZX6RNinja

Post by ZX6RNinja »

Josh,

When can we expect your meter video on the Regulator? I couldn't wait for the vid and ordered from you guys (great experience) based on Dave's vids and your feedback. The good news is I'm one month into my Form 4 wait:).
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

On the video, I'm not sure. Hopefully we can get something short and sweet for the Regulator and Mask 22 here soon.

I do have some numbers though from playing with ours a couple weeks ago.

On a Ruger 22/45 LITE.
1) 114.7
2) 110.7
3) 111.9
4) 112.2
5) 111.8
6) 112.0
AVG excluding FRP - 111.7

Just for fun, Sig's 22 can came in at 121.5dB average with about 8dB FRP on the same gun, same day, same conditions.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
ZX6RNinja

Post by ZX6RNinja »

Joshua@CapitolArmory wrote:On the video, I'm not sure. Hopefully we can get something short and sweet for the Regulator and Mask 22 here soon.

On a Ruger 22/45 LITE.
1) 114.7
2) 110.7
3) 111.9
4) 112.2
5) 111.8
6) 112.0

Just for fun, Sig's 22 can came in at 121.5dB average with about 8dB FRP on the same gun, same day, same conditions.
Thanks for the numbers and damn nice numbers they are! What ammo did you use? FRP appears right at about 3dB as Dave indicated. No doubt, this can is a winner.
BABore

Post by BABore »

Mine is on order and supposed to show up in a month. Then the wait begins.

I went looking for a Ruger American rimfire Compact for a bolt gun host. No luck, but I came home with a 22/45 instead. The Cabela's, where I bought it, had about 2-3 cases of CCI std velocity and a bunch of Quiet on the shelf. All pretty high, but available.

What do you guys think an 18 inch bolt gun will meter with CCI subsonic using the Regulator?
samurai

Post by samurai »

I have one and it seems to be quieter than the Sparrow. I've only used it on a 22/45 Blue, Ruger Charger and S&W M&P 22FS. I'm planning on getting a TacSol barrel for my Buckmark and try it next. I've ran 22LR HV, 22LR standard velocity and some Aguilla quiet 22lr-not sure of real name and all have ran fine.
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

waiting on my regulator which is still in jail . anyway you can post up a video of you shooting it ? im dying to
see how good it is . i dont have a sparrow but got 2 other 22 cans ,spectre2 , mack brothers lima,

might pick up a sparrow as well ,
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

Post by [email protected] »

Anyone know what the diameter of the bore is on the regulator? I've heard that Liberty has tightened the bore up on the regulator as compared to the KTL, Kodiak, and Essence(all of which had tapered bores to about .270). I'm curious as to if this could cause increased blowback issues, and possibly foul the gun up to the point where you have reliability issues. Just a thought, and btw I'm an owner of two Liberty cans, and a big fan of theirs. Just thinking out loud here.....
mrvip27

Post by mrvip27 »

I am stuck between a regulator and dead air mask...crap. :lol: looking to use it on my Savage bolt action. Not sure which would perform better..
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

Joshua@CapitolArmory wrote:On the video, I'm not sure. Hopefully we can get something short and sweet for the Regulator and Mask 22 here soon.

On a Ruger 22/45 LITE.
1) 114.7
2) 110.7
3) 111.9
4) 112.2
5) 111.8
6) 112.0

What meter are you using? The Larson Davis digital model? That meter does not meet the standards of sound reduction testing. Also 10 shot averages INCLUDING first round pop are the correct way to meter suppressors AT A MINIMUM. Also without knowing the ammo type used the info is just marketing to move product. The public deserves much better than marketing meter data that is designed to sell suppressors rather than cover the details. I would think your numbers are at a minimum of 6dB LOW. No ammo info, no length of suppressor tested info...

Liberty makes good suppressors and always have, but you don't need to use incorrect equipment and lack of data to push product. State what it is and be done. Its a $500 suppressor thats 6.5" long and a monocore design. Its probably a solid 40dB suppressor on a pistol and a 25dB suppressor on a rifle when using CCI Standard Velocity ammo. It has a titanium tube and stainless guts.

Posting a 111.7 average excluding FRP is dishonest and misleading.
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

hmmm someone threw down the gloves
ugareloader

Post by ugareloader »

John Titsworth wrote:

On a Ruger 22/45 LITE.
1) 114.7
2) 110.7
3) 111.9
4) 112.2
5) 111.8
6) 112.0

What meter are you using? The Larson Davis digital model? That meter does not meet the standards of sound reduction testing. Also 10 shot averages INCLUDING first round pop are the correct way to meter suppressors AT A MINIMUM. Also without knowing the ammo type used the info is just marketing to move product. The public deserves much better than marketing meter data that is designed to sell suppressors rather than cover the details. I would think your numbers are at a minimum of 6dB LOW. No ammo info, no length of suppressor tested info...

Liberty makes good suppressors and always have, but you don't need to use incorrect equipment and lack of data to push product. State what it is and be done. Its a $500 suppressor thats 6.5" long and a monocore design. Its probably a solid 40dB suppressor on a pistol and a 25dB suppressor on a rifle when using CCI Standard Velocity ammo. It has a titanium tube and stainless guts.

Well considering Liberty uses a B&K 2209 I believe and they have said it produces similar number, then I guess you are calling them dishonest. Unless you have metered it and can tell us any different, then it is pretty sorry to call someone dishonest. It is a longer can so I would expect lower numbers. Liberty seems to be a honest company and doesn't need to be dishonest to sell cans. Nor does CA need to be to sell cans.
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

We provide our customers the decibel rating to make an informed decision. Regardless of the meter used, we measure all of our 22 suppressors the same way, each time, with the same hosts and ammunition. Measuring across a constant allows our customers to compare features vs. the performance of the suppressor. When purchasing, customers ask us two questions regarding performance, does it have FRP and how does it compare to other 22 suppressors (performance). In no way do we hide the host or ammo, we just keep it simple and provide more details should the customer want more.

Using the "superior" analog meter, Liberty claims their Regulator offers 40-46 dB reduction. Additionally, I'll quote Dave @ Liberty from another forum: "We got the FRP down to about 3dB over the rest of the shots. Those are ranging between 112.5dB and 109.8dB... yeah, we got numbers under 110dB on our Ruger pistol with CCI STD VEL ammo. It is virtually action noise." Our tests, using an "inferior" digital meter, reveal similar:

Unsuppressed 22/45 using Remington 36gr super: AVG: 152.1 dB

22/45 w/ Regulator

1: 114.7
2: 110.7
3: 111.9
4: 112.2
5: 111.8
6: 112.0
7: 111.9
8: 111.3
9: 112
10: 111.1

AVG w/FRP: 112
AVG w/out FRP: 111.7
40-41dB reduction

Our numbers are right on par with Liberty's, not 6 dB low as you suggest. I'm not sure where our testing or our digital meter are going wrong, but I'm sure you'll tell us.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
mrvip27

Post by mrvip27 »

Thanks for the info!

Still makes it harder for me to decide now :lol: :lol:
LittleLebowski

Post by LittleLebowski »

John Titsworth wrote:

On a Ruger 22/45 LITE.
1) 114.7
2) 110.7
3) 111.9
4) 112.2
5) 111.8
6) 112.0

Why not just buy some advertising for your cans? Why not get some more out there in the hands of testers? You seem to have some good products according to your own words but I doubt I'll ever see one in person.

Negativity is repulsive. Try some positive advertising.
HansohnBrothers

Post by HansohnBrothers »

Anybody want to loan me a 2209? I'll run it and the Larson side-by-side and put this to rest.

For dealers, the QpR is sufficient for what customers want to know; is x suppressor quieter than y. Yes, we know there are many more variables to consider such as tone, weight, POI shift and flash suppression among others.

Manufacturers will definitely want to have the top tier equipment however.

Just my humble opinion.
Hansohn Brothers, LLC
Culpeper, VA
www.HansohnBrothers.com
540-748-8155
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

John Titsworth wrote:

On a Ruger 22/45 LITE.
1) 114.7
2) 110.7
3) 111.9
4) 112.2
5) 111.8
6) 112.0

Including FRP in average is TRADITION, not the CORRECT way to do it. The FRP is not part of the sample population and should be excluded from that statistic as it skews the average. It has different inputs and it sticks out like a sore thumb on a regression plot. Shots taken after the first are typically pretty "normal"--or bell curve in nature. Adding the FRP in is not part of that bell curve. An average only properly represents a population if it's done on normal data. It's like having Bill Gates in the room and averaging everyone's salary and declaring you have room full of people that are richer than they really are. It's bad math and poor engineering practice.

Having said that, the right way to do it is to state what the FRP is so that people see it and not pretend to hide it. Ideally, it would be pulled from multiple shot strings and averaged itself but that's a pain for reviewers and expensive to boot. People usually throw in the towel before going this far. :wink:

The way Joshua posted the data was actually more honest than what you're proposing. The only reason people usually fight to have it included is because they want to show a silencer with high FRP as having an overall louder reading to make it look bad.

Don't make me tell a stats joke to prove my point. :lol:
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Mageever wrote:
John Titsworth wrote:

On a Ruger 22/45 LITE.
1) 114.7
2) 110.7
3) 111.9
4) 112.2
5) 111.8
6) 112.0

Including FRP in average is TRADITION, not the CORRECT way to do it. The FRP is not part of the sample population and should be excluded from that statistic as it skews the average. It has different inputs and it sticks out like a sore thumb on a regression plot. Shots taken after the first are typically pretty "normal"--or bell curve in nature. Adding the FRP in is not part of that bell curve. An average only properly represents a population if it's done on normal data. It's like having Bill Gates in the room and averaging everyone's salary and declaring you have room full of people that are richer than they really are. It's bad math and poor engineering practice.

Having said that, the right way to do it is to state what the FRP is so that people see it and not pretend to hide it. Ideally, it would be pulled from multiple shot strings and averaged itself but that's a pain for reviewers and expensive to boot. People usually throw in the towel before going this far. :wink:

The way Joshua posted the data was actually more honest than what you're proposing. The only reason people usually fight to have it included is because they want to show a silencer with high FRP as having an overall louder reading to make it look bad.

Don't make me tell a stats joke to prove my point. :lol:
Right on the money! :D
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview