Shims and Rocksett problem

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Rich93ds

Shims and Rocksett problem

Post by Rich93ds »

I'm trying to get my brake on so I can use my suppressor but I'm having issues. I got a AAC shim kit and rocksett from brownells last week. I tried installing it yesterday but I'm running in to some issues. The only combination of shims that got it close was bearly tight (hand tight) but after reading about Rocksett it seemed like that it would not be a problem. I scrubbed the threads with a brass brush and cleaned them with brake clean. Then put two drops of Rocksett on the threads and put the brake on. The instructions said to wait 24 hours at room temperature or 15 min at 175. I got my heat gun and a thermometer and baked it on at around 180. Then I stuck it in the safe till today (18ish hours). I just put on my can and it went on fine but when I tried to take it off it removed the brake.

Any ideas on where I screwed up?
Sig 516 - Magpul UBR, CCA Side Mount Bipod, Velocity 4lb Trigger, SDTA Brake, Vortex Strike Eagle

Form 1 - .223cal 6" Titanium Can

Form 1 - 9mm Full Size K Can and 9mm Cone Micro Can
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Re: Shims and Rocksett problem

Post by eastern_hunter »

I always clean with 90+% isopropanol as the last step and blow dry. Then get the treads wet with Rocksett ... 2 drops seldom enough ... but be careful not to get any in the bore. I often put a patch into the bore and make sure it shows out the end of the muzzle.

Then I heat it some with a heat gun ... AND let it sit 24 to 48 hours!

Have not found that the fast heat cure for Rocksett (sodium silicate) works. Simply does not drive of the water within the Rocksett.
Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

eastern_hunter wrote:I always clean with 90+% isopropanol as the last step and blow dry. Then get the treads wet with Rocksett ... 2 drops seldom enough ... but be careful not to get any in the bore. I often put a patch into the bore and make sure it shows out the end of the muzzle.

Then I heat it some with a heat gun ... AND let it sit 24 to 48 hours!

Have not found that the fast heat cure for Rocksett (sodium silicate) works. Simply does not drive of the water within the Rocksett.
Is the brake being hand tight good enough as long as I Rocksett it properly?
Sig 516 - Magpul UBR, CCA Side Mount Bipod, Velocity 4lb Trigger, SDTA Brake, Vortex Strike Eagle

Oldfatguy

Post by Oldfatguy »

Well, from your experience it looks like hand tight isn't tight enough. Get some more shims so you can properly torque it.

OFG
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Still has to be properly torqued.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Rocksett is not some super strong adhesive. It's about the same as blue locktite.
It's very good at temp resistance (better than red locktite), that's why it is used on silencer muzzle devices.

So, not, hand tight is not enough. The muzzle device needs to be properly torqued. The rocksett just keeps it in place as things heat up.

Also, don't forget to clean the INSIDE of the muzzle device's threads. You must have both the barrel and muzzle device properly degreased or the rocksett will not set.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Does the brake cleaner leave a film after drying?
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Just use rubbing alcohol. Soak a nylon brush in it and degrease both the barrel and muzzle device threads.
Repeat several times to be sure.
Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

Ok, thanks. I think I might try a peel washer too.