New 3D prineted can for the 338LM , shot today

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ChrisF
Silent Operator

New 3D prineted can for the 338LM , shot today

Post by ChrisF »

Hi Guys ,

Here's some pics on the new 338LM model & new 30 cal reinforced model for 308 & 300WM .
Shot on 3 AI rifles , AW , AWM & AX338 , using the 2 chamber AI Tac brake , testing done to milspec with calibrated correct meter etc .
As to data , will have to wait till the designer emails me the raw data in aspread sheet .

Oceania Defence Ltd , have exported to Canada & UK so far & plan on making them in the US as well .

They have sent a direct thread version of the AI 338LM can to Canada for trials on the Timberwolf SWS & some small 223 cans to the Police their as well , so if they like them , then you will see quite a few ODL cans in Canada , even thou the civies in Canada are not allowed suppressors .

Later Chris

ChrisF
Silent Operator

Re: New 3D prineted can for the 338LM , shot today

Post by ChrisF »

data for the 338Lm can , Av 140.4 dB at muzzle & 132.0 at the ear , weight 265gms , 233mm x 44.7mm dia .
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Cool stuff - going to be an interesting jump in technology in all fields.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

ChrisF wrote:data for the 338Lm can , Av 140.4 dB at muzzle & 132.0 at the ear , weight 265gms , 233mm x 44.7mm dia .

Under 10 ounces, is that right?
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

Post by DKDravis »

3D printed -- from what? It looks like some kind of sintered metal ..

I Know that the Swedish supercar manufacturer Koeniggsegg use 3D printing in stainless steel to produce the turbochargers for their latest "hypercars"

That way they can produce "internal variable geometry" controlled by valve parts that they print inside the cavity, avoiding a split part. ..

They also 3D print Titanium for the exhaust ... But that seems to be a "cosmetic" part, with no real stress on it..

both in Stainless steel and titanium the cost is "hypercar" high .... 8)
DKDravis

"Sapere Aude": Dare to KNOW!
"Do not adjust your mind, there's a fault in reality!"
"When Wrong becomes Right, Resistance becomes our duty!"
Postal code 8541
ChrisF
Silent Operator

Post by ChrisF »

Opps ,

Yes , high grade Ti powder & then heat treated , and weught is correct in grams .
gunham
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunham »

Any chance that you could post a video of the can being printed? :D
Impeach Obama for violating the Constitution.
ChrisF
Silent Operator

Post by ChrisF »

Sorry , im not a geek , so not really into , video & computers that much , you are luckly I can post pics , sort of .

Due to the testing the maker has decided to make just the 338LM can , for all AI rifle apps , as the sound on the 308 using the 338LM can was the same as the 30 cal can .

1st run of 338 cans due next week in NZ .

Later Chris
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

DKDravis wrote:... It looks like some kind of sintered metal ..
That's because it's sintered metal.

DMLS - Direct Metal Laser Sintering

videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VImKhUD-8hk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEfdO4p4SFc&t=64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
ChrisF
Silent Operator

Post by ChrisF »

Yeap ,

These cans are incredablily light in weight , its like you are holding nothing at all , thats the over riding 1st impression , just super lite .

Later Chris
midastouch

Post by midastouch »

Being an ultralight it's going to get very hot very quickly for obvious thermodynamic reasons. Perfect for a bolt gun tho. Less weight on end of the stick should provide even less harmonic variables than a traditionally heavy can so deff a bonus all aroun
DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

Post by DKDravis »

Getting rid of the heat will definitely be a problem with cans made from Sintered Titanium ... thermal conductance of Ti is bad already, having it in a sintered form usually does not improve this ... But as stated .. probably ok for bolt guns .. :mrgreen:
DKDravis

Postal code 8541
ODL

Post by ODL »

I just got back from a workshop in Adelaide where I gave a presentation on this technology and may be able to clear up a few misconceptions about the process. When I first heard about "laser sintering" I was as put off as most engineers are since the perception is a course, porous structure that lacks strength and ductility.

The reason that this was initially called laser sintering is because the first lasers didn't have the power to fully fuse the powder so it was a 3d printed structure that most closely emulated sintering without a mold. Now laser power is 400 plus watts and the material is fully fused with properties that are as good as billet. Here is a slide showing the difference in grain structure between sintered and SLM:

If the part is fully dense, then why does it still appear sintered? For the same reasons that low powered lasers caused incomplete fusion in the beginning. The section of the model where the laser travels will be fully fused through several layers. However, just outside the actual model section is an area where there is still a lot of heat and the adjacent powder will partially melt and adhere to the fully fused section. This is the area of surface roughness that is visible unless cleaned up. So if the wall section is 1.5mm thick, the actual thickness may be 1.55 - 1.65 thick until cleaned up due to the particles that are clinging onto the actual fused model structure.

This is actually an advantage in suppressors. By having the rough texture inside and out, you end up with far more surface area which is beneficial for heat exchange purposes. Because the sections are thin and light they do heat up very fast and cool down very fast.

I have cans that are used for limited FA and semi auto applications. For extended FA I can make Inconel 718 using the same techniques to reduce weight.
Oceania-Defence.com
DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

Post by DKDravis »

Thanks! That makes good sense! I'm unfamiliar with the Laser 3D printing methods, so natuarlly "latched" on to the description and the look of the surface of the supressors..

Ti is still a poor heat conductor though .. :mrgreen:
DKDravis

Postal code 8541
ODL

Post by ODL »

Yes, poor compared to aluminium but better than inconel. I guess from a conductive standpoint, can aluminium dump heat faster than a high rate of fire can induce it? If not, what is the yield strength as it heats? How does titanium compare?

While Inconel has poor thermal conductivity compared to aluminium or even titanium, it has more yield at 650 deg c than titanium at 100 deg c and aluminium would be a puddle on the floor.

Titanium has uses in a range just like aluminium and inconel. Like any engineering challenge, everything is a compromise. The right material and fabrication method must be selected for the application. :)
Oceania-Defence.com
DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

Post by DKDravis »

I think that's why Inconel is chosen over steel or Titanium in supercars for the parts of the exhaust "pipeworks" closest to the engine, they simply get too hot for the Ti to keep up its strength .. In Suppressors subjected to sustained automatic fire it makes sense to use Inconel for the blast-baffles and chamber, since it will handle the pressure-levels, even when VERY hot .. High strength Stainless steels will do the same, but will be heavier in order to handle the same pressure levels.

I'm not familiar with Laser "printed" Inconel, so I do not know how one would handle it if it needs post treatment (Hardening, quenching, annealing) like you would need for steel.

In my book Titanium is a "wonder metal" because of 3 properties: 1. It really does not need to be alloyed to have its second and 3rd excellent properties: 2. extreme corrosion resistance and 3rd ... extreme strength to weight ratio .. actually the highest strength-to-density ratio of any metallic element!!!

The "price you pay" for this is difficult machining... Unless you 3D print the stuff .. :mrgreen:

When these properties are maximized by skillful design and dimensioning .. amazing things can be made from this metal ..
DKDravis

Postal code 8541
DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

Post by DKDravis »

Does "Oceania Defence" plan on exporting any of these extremely nice cans to Europe ?? If so, what are the price levels?

Any idea of prices in Nz?
DKDravis

Postal code 8541
ODL

Post by ODL »

The 338 can shown above will be around 1300 NZD. That can is actually in the UK as we speak, along with several other sample parts. I am working at setting up a distributor over there now. Shipping costs are high due to ITAR so one part or 100 will be the same shipping price. After that the box dimensions change pricing a bit. Then there is VAT and duties so I don't know the EU pricing yet. I am still working on US distribution and manufacturing.

You're dead right about the headers. They would have a cyclical firing rate very close to a FA rifle but for a much longer duration. I am still working through the Inco post treatment. We know the yield we get at room temperature both with and without HT but there is a facility over the hill in Hamilton that is setting up to do testing at temperature. After that we can build some parts with a bit of confidence.

Here is a printed Inco rocket engine made locally.
Oceania-Defence.com
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I'd think the easiest way to become a provider in the US would be to become a US manufacturer.
ODL

Post by ODL »

Yes, for the commercial market, it is the only way.

I have the manufacturing side sort of under control but the distribution, customer service and sales is nowhere near ready.
Oceania-Defence.com
ChrisF
Silent Operator

Post by ChrisF »

Here's a pic of the 300WM can , on a scale .