Home defense set up

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

akared

Home defense set up

Post by akared »

I am just getting my trust together to make my first NFA purchase. I have been trying to research but have some questions.

I am am not looking for the quietest, but obviously quite is good. I am looking into getting a 9 mm host and suppressor. I rented a Glock 19 and Sig 226 (both non suppressed)at the range while I did shot the sig slightly better, I didn't shot it twice as good to make up for price jump. I read some people saying the 19 had trouble cycling while suppressed. Didn't know if that was common or not.

I don't have a ton of money, but I want a very reliable set up the first time. I plan on looking into this safe http://www.fas1safe.com/product.sc?productId=16 as my current safe will not be long enough.

I haven't really been able to find to many home defense suppressed setups.

FYI I carry a glock 43 and right now my HD gun is a beretta 92 FS (my only two pistols).

Any recommendations or suggestions please and thank you
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Home defense set up

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I have a GLOCK 17, and it doesn't seem to have any issue cycling the common, popular 9mm cans which have boosters. If I'm not mistaken, the GLOCK 19 is the single best selling GLOCK model, and I can't imagine that it would have difficulty cycling with the common 9mm cans of today.

I forget the model number, but the smallest GLOCKs have a very steep angle on the barrel when cycling, and those might be what you've read about.

As far as the Sig vs GLOCK question, part of it is how well you shoot it... but another important factor with the Sig is that it is reported to be one of the quietest hosts with a silencer ceteris paribus. This is because the Sig takes just a fraction of a second longer to open up after it's fired, and therefore more of the gas is forced into the silencer, and less of it comes out of the ejection port. The difference in time to open has no affect on the shooter other than to make the shots quieter when suppressed.
n.franklin
Senior Silent Operator

Post by n.franklin »

Glock 19 and Tirant 9, 100% reliable with 147gr Federal or Remington ammo.

Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Post by Loki_stormbringer »

No recommendation on guns as I've never shot the SIG personally. I do have a Glock 19 and have shot it suppressed with suppers and subs and it cycles with out any problem at all. The slide "seems" to recoil a little harder but that doesn't translate into felt recoil. The opposite in fact.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

akared wrote:... I did shot the sig slightly better, ...
You probably shot it slightly better in single action mode?

The DA to SA transition messes with some people. You should try decocking the Sig between every round and see if you still shoot it better.

If you want to get closer to comparing Apples to Apples Sig vs Glock try a P320.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
akared

Post by akared »

Thanks for the pics and the info. It does help think I will go with the glock since its a lower price of entry and I can get the similar trigger pull as my 43. Now to order my can this week and look into getting a 19.

n.franklin I like your set up.

and yes the DA was a difficult pull.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

TROOPER wrote:... but another important factor with the Sig is that it is reported to be one of the quietest hosts with a silencer ceteris paribus. This is because the Sig takes just a fraction of a second longer to open up after it's fired, and therefore more of the gas is forced into the silencer, and less of it comes out of the ejection port...
I believe this is true. I watched a video on YouTube where a fellow installed a heavier Wolff recoil spring in his Glock to make it quieter through his can and it worked.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

I added a 20# spring to my G19(Gen 4), and it is 100% reliable over 250 rounds with my Octane 9. There is a noticeable difference between it, and the OE spring. No malfunctions using anything from 115gr WWB, to 147gr HPs.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Consider buying a 45 Cal can...

A 45 can on a 9mm is NOT much louder than it's 9mm cousin. But down the road, you MAY want to add a 45 to your collection, and the can will go on both.

I purchased a SiCo Octane 45K for this reason. I only own 9mms, and the primary host weapon will be a 9mm M&P... BUT... someday I will own a 1911 in 45ACP. It will also have a threaded barrel.

Jeff
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

JeffWard wrote:Consider buying a 45 Cal can...

A 45 can on a 9mm is NOT much louder than it's 9mm cousin. But down the road, you MAY want to add a 45 to your collection, and the can will go on both.

I purchased a SiCo Octane 45K for this reason. I only own 9mms, and the primary host weapon will be a 9mm M&P... BUT... someday I will own a 1911 in 45ACP. It will also have a threaded barrel.

Jeff
There may be a minor issue with boosters if you buy a 45 can for you 9mm host. The fix is easy: you just replace the booster. But... be aware that if you go with a 45 can for your 9mm pistol, you probably won't be able to pick it up from the dealer and then instantly screw it on and have fun. You'll need that appropriate booster, and they'll run you $50 plus-or-minus. On the positive side, the booster isn't an NFA item, so you should be able to buy one online and receive it very quickly.
n.franklin
Senior Silent Operator

Post by n.franklin »

In the case of the AAC TiRant 45, good luck getting a 9mm booster threaded 1/2x28 right now, been trying for a year.
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Or you know. Purchase that 45 can for your 45 later. You know your going to get multiple cans. Why limit your self? :D
akared

Post by akared »

yeah thanks I am trying to decide what to can to buy first. I was thinking of going 45, but I guess I need to make sure they have the booster I need in stock or at least be able to order within the time it takes for the stamp to come in. That would not be fun having it sit in the safe waiting for a non NFA part to come in.

So many options I just need to pull the trigger and get starting, I know it will not be my last one.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

akared wrote:I am just getting my trust together to make my first NFA purchase. I have been trying to research but have some questions.

I am am not looking for the quietest, but obviously quite is good. I am looking into getting a 9 mm host and suppressor. I rented a Glock 19 and Sig 226 (both non suppressed)at the range while I did shot the sig slightly better, I didn't shot it twice as good to make up for price jump. I read some people saying the 19 had trouble cycling while suppressed. Didn't know if that was common or not.

I don't have a ton of money, but I want a very reliable set up the first time. I plan on looking into this safe http://www.fas1safe.com/product.sc?productId=16 as my current safe will not be long enough.

I haven't really been able to find to many home defense suppressed setups.

FYI I carry a glock 43 and right now my HD gun is a beretta 92 FS (my only two pistols).

Any recommendations or suggestions please and thank you
Have you considered having your Beretta 92 FS barrel threaded? That's cheaper than buying the Glock. I just had Jim Pixley thread my barrel for $105 (added a thread protector). Took approx 14 days including shipping both ways.

I haven't shot the Beretta suppressed yet to compare it to my Glock 19. I plan to compare the two hosts using my Octane 9, Octane 45, Liberty Infiniti (9mm), and Liberty Miranda (45) when hunting season kicks off and I'm out and about where it's more convenient to shoot a few rounds. I've been too lazy to pack up and get to the range when the police dept isn't using it.

Any of you guys shoot the 92 FS suppressed? Reliable? Quiet?
I've gotta stop this habit.
batman4706
Silent Operator

Post by batman4706 »

If you buy an Octane 45, it will come with one booster of your choice. The other calibers are readily available. I've used mine on 22 RF up to 300 Blk subsonic.
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

It's hard to go wrong with a Glock. The lower one is what I keep near the bed with a form 1 micro wiped suppressor. It's a 40cal G22. A full length suppressor is long for most drawers or rapid open safes.
huanab

Post by huanab »

I use to have a Glock19 as my primary ccw and home defense gun. I now just carry a Glock43 for ccw and bought a HKUSP9 tactical as a suppressor host and for home defense.

But... if you already have a berreta 92... I would just get that threaded as it would be cheaper than buying another gun... unless of course, you're just looking for a reason to make another purchase.. no harm in that either. :wink:
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I have a Glock 19 and a Sig P229, the .40 S&W version I think of the P226 9 mm and shoot both suppressed. My Glock 19 is a Gen one. It has been reliable. So has my Sig. Of the two, I think the Sig is safer. I never have liked having to pull the trigger to dis-assemble a gun, a feature of striker fired pistols. Since you have a Glock already, I'm sure you are use to this issue. I shoot the Sig better too and would be my choice. The Sig is more fun to shoot, has a de-cocker. The only mention of fun is makes practicing easier :) especially showing-off your targets :) Threaded barrels are available for both. The choice for Glock 19 threaded barrels is most likely greater.

If you choose a Sig, make sure you can get a barrel with adequate torque shoulder as this has been a problem with my Sig P229.
roodyrocker
Silent Operator

Post by roodyrocker »

If the DA/SA trigger is an issue on the Sig, they do also make the Sig P226 in SAO. That way you shoot SA only if thats what you prefer.
Since you already have a Beretta 92FS, you can either have your barrel threaded or buy a threaded factory Beretta barrel. They pop up on EBay and Gunbroker now and then.

Rudy
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC
akared

Post by akared »

Well to update every one I have ordered/bought a Octane 9. Going to buy a glock 17 and put a light on it and get some practice with it before the octane comes in.

Now on to looking into a fun range gun to purchase down the road....
akared

Post by akared »

OK another question, any reason not to get a G3 Glock with raised sights and threaded barrel over a G4 and adding barrel and sights.

Are the raised sights tall enough to see over octane 9?
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

akared wrote:OK another question, any reason not to get a G3 Glock with raised sights and threaded barrel over a G4 and adding barrel and sights.

Are the raised sights tall enough to see over octane 9?
Didn't the G4 just add swappable back strap? Was thinking they were the same other then that?
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

n.franklin wrote:In the case of the AAC TiRant 45, good luck getting a 9mm booster threaded 1/2x28 right now, been trying for a year.

http://moretactical.com/aaco103251-1.html
Putting the laughter in manslaughter