6.8 SPC Suppressor reccomendations

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

6.8 SPC Suppressor reccomendations

Post by Joker31D »

First let me say, I already have a saker 762. Now that's out of the way, what is everyone using for their 6.8's? I plan on letting my Dad use my Saker and my Grendel when we hunt hogs. I plan on buying and building a 6.8 SPC II (For diversity) and need to find a suppressor for that one. My dad is on my Trust and we will be hunting in the same blind so its not a legal issue. I dont need all the features of the Saker and quite frankly I'm pissed about the saker being the only suppressor using the QD that was supposed to be the new qd mount at the time, according to Sco at SHOT that year. I'm trying to see what others are using, I was thinking Wilson combat because I have shot it before and it was ok, that was a long time ago and I know development has advanced quite a bit on Loads, barrels and on the suppressors themselves. This is why I'm asking. I am currently buying several different platforms to allow me to hunt different things, different ways. The 6.8 is just a trial into that caliber for me. I do load, quite a bit and have for awhile. I want to know how loud it will be compared to the stuff I have now, 18" satern barreled 6.5 Grendel with the saker and a 10.5" barreled 300 AAC with an Osprey 45.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: 6.8 SPC Suppressor reccomendations

Post by MJF1911 »

Omega :D

I think it would be silly to restrict yourself to a bore diameter when you gain nothing in suppression and if you're shooting a semi auto increase your chances that you will have feeding and back pressure problems.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

I got into the 6.8 solely for night time suppressed hog hunting. I built a 12.5" AR Performance barreled SBR. Currently, I'm running it with an older Phoenix Armory 30 caliber Abyss suppressor. It weighs 34 ounces. Not ideal for lugging around all night. I did a lot of research and was set to pull the trigger on the Omega and then found out it was limited to 16" on 6.8. I am now waiting on a TBAC Ultra 7 (30 caliber). It weighs less than the Omega and is rated to 10" for the 6.8. TBAC has a great reputation but they're still too new to have been measured by anyone that is non-company, at least that I have seen. My dealer says it sounds nice on a 16" 556. Bastahd.
elcapitan1
Silent Operator

Post by elcapitan1 »

I am running an Omega on my 18'' 6.8, I was previously using a Saker. I love both cans but the Omega is so much lighter (direct thread) than the Saker. Just started a build with a 12" ARP barreled 6.8 ,wish I could run the Omega on it. After a few hunts lugging the 18'' with a D760,Torch Pro and Saker I quickly decided it was time to lighten the load.

Also I recently shot my 6.8 with Saker next to a buddies 6.8 with the Sure Fire 6.8 can. I do not recommend that route.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

elcapitan1 wrote:I am running an Omega on my 18'' 6.8, I was previously using a Saker. I love both cans but the Omega is so much lighter (direct thread) than the Saker. Just started a build with a 12" ARP barreled 6.8 ,wish I could run the Omega on it. After a few hunts lugging the 18'' with a D760,Torch Pro and Saker I quickly decided it was time to lighten the load.
Good lord, that's a heavy rifle. That's gotta go 12lbs doesn't it?
JJinParadise
Silent Operator

Post by JJinParadise »

I went with a Omega 7.62. I plan to use it on my FN 30.06, AA 6.5 Grendel, & 5.56's(w/endcap).
Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

I got rid of my 6.8 and just built another Grendel. It does anything the 6.8 does and it's simpler for me not to have to buy bullets for both and dies for both. I'd save yourself the aggravation. JMHO

I do plan on running my Recce 7 on the 6.5 once I grab another mount. It's a nice lightweight can with a great mounting system and I'm impressed so far on 300 and 5.56
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

quiettime wrote:I got rid of my 6.8 and just built another Grendel. It does anything the 6.8 does and it's simpler for me not to have to buy bullets for both and dies for both. I'd save yourself the aggravation. JMHO

I do plan on running my Recce 7 on the 6.5 once I grab another mount. It's a nice lightweight can with a great mounting system and I'm impressed so far on 300 and 5.56

Missed that in the OP. If I already had a Grendel, I would have a hard time justifying a 6.8.
elcapitan1
Silent Operator

Post by elcapitan1 »

ncorry wrote:
elcapitan1 wrote:I am running an Omega on my 18'' 6.8, I was previously using a Saker. I love both cans but the Omega is so much lighter (direct thread) than the Saker. Just started a build with a 12" ARP barreled 6.8 ,wish I could run the Omega on it. After a few hunts lugging the 18'' with a D760,Torch Pro and Saker I quickly decided it was time to lighten the load.
Good lord, that's a heavy rifle. That's gotta go 12lbs doesn't it?
Probably more than 12 , but it groups better in the dark than allot of my AR's do in the day light. I routinely take head shots under one of my 120 yard feeders at night.

This was last Sunday night! Crappy iphone pic
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

In your situation, consider the Mystic X. It has a 16" barrel limitation for 6.8 and 556 though.

But the Mystic also has the new H.A.T.E ring adapter for MAAD mounts. Pretty nifty and versatile.

http://libertycans.net/product/h-a-t-e-ring/
huanab

Post by huanab »

My buddy has a 18" 6.8 that we used my YHM Ti 30 cal phantom on. Sounded the same as my 5.56 as far as suppression goes.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I was thinking the 6.8 because I ran into a problem last year when I went up to Missouri to hunt, I made it, my rifle made it but I got a hate letter from TSA that claimed my bullets had fallen out of my locked pelican case and the separate pelican case they were in had broken on the ground and that the bullets were not allowed to leave the airport and that next time I should secure my ammo better to avoid this problem. (I put it in a pelican inside of a locked pelican, I should have been able to transport it inside an artillery round shot to the moon like that) Anyways, I got there and had 5 rounds that I had in a small pelican inside my rifle case. So I had 5 rounds all trip, the guide almost wouldnt let me hunt but I assured him that 5 is all I needed. I wasn't allowed to shoot after I hunted nor was I able to check my zero because of my ammo shortage. I had to trust my ballistics tables and limit my shots to under 100 yards. I still got a monster of a buck but I went to Walmart there and was pissed when I saw the boxes of 6.8 on the shelf of the case and no spot anywhere for 6.5. I figure I'll also be able to take my 6.8 upper along when I hunt next time. I know its kinda a weak reason but It burned me up. I ddint know about the omega being so limited, so that one is out, I like the option of going SBR because That BUG just bit me and I have 3 Form 1's in the system now. I imagine a 6.8 would eventually get in there. My 6.5 G is my go to rifle now but its so damn expensive to shoot and I'm having some problem finding bullets now that everyone is going to 6.5 Creedmoor for everything. Was looking at the Bison barrels earlier today, never used them but I hear good things. Hard to believe how fast weight gets added when you throw a can on there but it does, I switched handguards 3 times on my Grendel and currently it wears a Fortis rail, cant imagine a Hg being lighter than that.

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Nice porker Elcapitan! I have a lease near South Toledo Bend on the La. side that has some huge piggies. I need to set something up to be able to pop a couple at night. I've been hesitant to buy night optics since I know I won't use them much.
I've gotta stop this habit.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Joker31D wrote:I was thinking the 6.8 because ... I saw the boxes of 6.8 on the shelf of the case and no spot anywhere for 6.5. ...I know its kinda a weak reason but It burned me up. ....
No, admittedly, that's a pretty good reason. Had I not ordered a Les Baer rifle back before the "ammo shortage" I'd probably be rocking the 6.8 SPC for the same reason. I couldn't justify both calibers and I couldn't stand to sell that rifle.

OP: if you're happy with the Saker, what about another one?
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

OJB4 wrote: I've been hesitant to buy night optics since I know I won't use them much.
Two things- 1) I just got back from a bachelor's party in Breaux Bridges (between Lafayette and Baton Rouge) and we rented a fishing cabin in Afatchalya. I looked up the game regs prior to going. The bachelor wanted to try nutria. Let's say that we found one that had just got hit by a boat. There were about 15 of us, and 10 tried it. Everyone that tried it agreed that it was better than squirrel or rabbit, and I like both of those. In LA, you can hunt nutria, coyote and pigs at night.

2) "since I know I won't use them much". I used to be of the same line of thinking. Before NV, I was addicted to deer and bear hunting. Once I got into the NV world and chasing pigs at night and realized that in Arkansas, you can hunt pigs 24/7/365, I started caring less and less about deer and bear. A lot of the places we deer hunt have hog problems too, so I can get in the stand at 3AM with a rifle with a thermal scope or a NV clip on and hunt pigs until dawn and hunt everything once the sun comes up. In the summer, it is a HELL of a lot more comfortable to hunt pigs at night than during the day. We usually don't even start to load up until 10PM. My hunting buddy and I went in and got a Bad Boy Buggy that is electric, so we just drive a blacked-out 4x4 golf cart around hay fields until we find pigs. Deer and pigs' behavior are incredibly different at night. Bucks, even big ones, standing in the middle of hay fields with grass that is 10" high- at night, they see you and "know" you can't see them, so they don't run off. If they do anything, they just lay down. We've seen a group of 10-15 deer playing tag in the middle of hte night. They'd chase each otehr around a 200' pond, and push one another into the pond, jsut run up and tackle one, and run off, and then that one would chase another one. Most amazing thing I've ever seen in the field. Went on for about 15 minutes while we were watching from 50 yards away on a hill. So, bottom line, once you bite the bullet and pony up for decent (or better) NV gear, you WILL use it. Once you start using it, you WILL start thinking of ways to justify the next item.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I use a PVS-14 to get to my stand during all seasons and hunt with a group of guys that had similar jobs like mine in the Military (Read into it what you want to) we are all very well versed on NVG's and Thermal imaging, I am investing in a clip on and may be building a PVS14 for my 223 rifle (I have access to a clean room) and I am still trying to justify buying a FLIR unit, even though they have come down in price and I guess Silencerco is hinting around about selling them soon.

I didnt buy another saker for 3 reasons: 1 I'm still pissed about the adapter situation and am holding off buying any more of their products because I dont think I need to go further down the rabbit hole with their system. 2 The expense, its pretty expensive and There are better for less. 3. I'm kinda disappointed with the sound reduction with supersonic ammo, I have heard the cheaper Specwar and the Harvester and think they sound better, I dont need the Full Auto anymore so I think its overbuilt for my needs. The shorter models came out after I bought mine so the length wouldnt be a problem in a future purchase. For what it is, it would be a great Military System, which is what it was intended for (What I was told, never had one in the Military, used Surefire and KAC in the Military) I was fortunate enough to never have to buy my own stuff while I was in the Military, now its different, The $50 I paid for a French Suppressor in Afghanistan was a small purchase and was less BS then Filling out paperwork for a replacement when we shot out the issued ones, I just bought French ones from the Polish and French Soldiers for my team as we shot them out, used a combination of my money and "Operational Funds" for the purchases. The process to get a can replaced was rough, had to fly the can to Baghram after 3 hops around the country to get there I had to fill out paperwork to my Command then take it to the Command Armorer who would check it for holes (Only way they would replace it on the spot, Learned to shoot a hole in the side or run it over with a vehicle) then they would shoot it in the clearing barrel to see if it was loud (Scientific Testing?) If it was bad, they would have you fill out a purchase order to buy from a vendor (20 yards away) You would go to the Contractor who would go unlock the supply trailer and get you a new one, you'd sign for it and then take another 6 hour flight home to your FOB or in my case a COP(Combat Outpost) The regular teams were already near a Supply area so they just flew one hop to the supply stash) SO $50-US was cheap especially after the Thaw when Operational Tempo Picked up.

OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

ncorry wrote:
OJB4 wrote: I've been hesitant to buy night optics since I know I won't use them much.
Two things- 1) I just got back from a bachelor's party in Breaux Bridges (between Lafayette and Baton Rouge) and we rented a fishing cabin in Afatchalya. I looked up the game regs prior to going. The bachelor wanted to try nutria. Let's say that we found one that had just got hit by a boat. There were about 15 of us, and 10 tried it. Everyone that tried it agreed that it was better than squirrel or rabbit, and I like both of those. In LA, you can hunt nutria, coyote and pigs at night.

2) "since I know I won't use them much". I used to be of the same line of thinking. Before NV, I was addicted to deer and bear hunting. Once I got into the NV world and chasing pigs at night and realized that in Arkansas, you can hunt pigs 24/7/365, I started caring less and less about deer and bear. A lot of the places we deer hunt have hog problems too, so I can get in the stand at 3AM with a rifle with a thermal scope or a NV clip on and hunt pigs until dawn and hunt everything once the sun comes up. In the summer, it is a HELL of a lot more comfortable to hunt pigs at night than during the day. We usually don't even start to load up until 10PM. My hunting buddy and I went in and got a Bad Boy Buggy that is electric, so we just drive a blacked-out 4x4 golf cart around hay fields until we find pigs. Deer and pigs' behavior are incredibly different at night. Bucks, even big ones, standing in the middle of hay fields with grass that is 10" high- at night, they see you and "know" you can't see them, so they don't run off. If they do anything, they just lay down. We've seen a group of 10-15 deer playing tag in the middle of hte night. They'd chase each otehr around a 200' pond, and push one another into the pond, jsut run up and tackle one, and run off, and then that one would chase another one. Most amazing thing I've ever seen in the field. Went on for about 15 minutes while we were watching from 50 yards away on a hill. So, bottom line, once you bite the bullet and pony up for decent (or better) NV gear, you WILL use it. Once you start using it, you WILL start thinking of ways to justify the next item.
Damn you! LOL....I know that area pretty well. I'm only 45 minutes away from there if you follow the levee road south. We have more nutria around here than the law should allow. It's nothing to shoot your limit in 15 minutes or less. And yes......they are really yummy! Maybe I'll end up ponying up some cash for something nice. I don't have a ton of private land to hunt at night on though....which is another drawback. To night hunt here you have to be on private land (and a few other requirements must be met) unless something has changed that I'm unaware of.

Sorry to derail the thread....I'll stop now.
elcapitan1
Silent Operator

Post by elcapitan1 »

OJB4 wrote:Nice porker Elcapitan! I have a lease near South Toledo Bend on the La. side that has some huge piggies. I need to set something up to be able to pop a couple at night. I've been hesitant to buy night optics since I know I won't use them much.
Thanks , I spend 3/4 off my time in Lake Charles so maybe I can get up there and assist you.
elcapitan1
Silent Operator

Post by elcapitan1 »

ncorry wrote:

I agree 100% , as much as I hate to admit it, Hog hunting at night is not only much more fun than deer but since I started smoking the meat I like it better also. And you can do it year around.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

elcapitan1 wrote:
OJB4 wrote:Nice porker Elcapitan! I have a lease near South Toledo Bend on the La. side that has some huge piggies. I need to set something up to be able to pop a couple at night. I've been hesitant to buy night optics since I know I won't use them much.
Thanks , I spend 3/4 off my time in Lake Charles so maybe I can get up there and assist you.
We should try and do that. I think it's only about an hour and a half up Hwy 171 from Lake Charles. A friend has a camp close by to my lease. Maybe one weekend when he's up there we could go up and try it out. Lots of cut overs on the property where we could drive by at night and look for porkies if the optics work over long distances. I'll PM you my info. Every year we are looking for new members if that's something you're interested in. Great pig and turkey hunting! The deer hunting is tough....nocturnal bastards! There are pics of huge deer by Louisiana standards, but they're tough to kill.