K baffle question

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Should I polish the Baffle Stack?

Polish it
No votes
Dont Polish it
71%
Polish it but it will hurt performance.
No votes
Teflon coat the baffles
No votes
other
29%

Total votes: 7

Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

K baffle question

Post by Joker31D »

I have a K baffle can and wonder if anyone has polished the baffle stack to help with cleaning, I bought a tiny can for my P22 for Dog Control (Pit Bulls have attacked my wife in front of my house 3 times, Killed 2 with my bare hands the last time) We live near an area where a lot of guys raised Hog Dogs and when they were foreclosed on, they left the dogs, so there are packs of these things roaming around, one was a fighting dog that had Stainless Teeth. Was told by Sheriffs and Animal Control to shoot on sight and un collared Pit Bulls in the area, have it in writing from animal control. I have 2 very young kids and a Service dog so I cant mess around with these things. Anyway, I do some plinking with the pistol every once in a while (Shoot Loud Squirrels near my Blind during deer season etc) and its a Bit** to clean because of the fact that its a "Wet Only can" I bought it before knowing that but dont mind, the problem is wire pulling gel leaves a residue when it dries and I want to polish it to see if it makes it easier to wipe the residue away. I was looking into having the baffles Teflon coated but I'm afraid tolerances will be an issue.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: K baffle question

Post by rimshaker »

Having some carbon buildup and rough surfaces helps in further disrupting gas flows.

Try a simple fix first. Use Froglube paste on the baffle stack. Excellent wet medium that sticks around longer. And smells good too.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

What are the baffles made out of?
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

I am sorry this is a sidetrack but I never heard of a wet only can. What brand and model do you have? Sorry to hear about the dog situation you having going by your place. Good luck and stay safe!

Thanks
Jason
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

You might try the Dot 5 Silicone brake fluid treatment detailed here.

http://www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

I'm a pretty anal gun cleaner. I can't stand carbon buildup in the action and I'll usually run patches through until they come out clean.

However, I've taken to heart the advice of many on here and on my .22 can I'm not trying to get it spotless. Just knock the big chunks off and leave a thin carbon residue. This will spare the metal in your can and the carbon layer actually seems to help with suppression.

My advice would be clean less but more often, if that makes sense