G19 & Tirant9 Issues

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

G19 & Tirant9 Issues

Post by marcus99 »

My gen2 Glock 19 and Tirant9 are not playing nicely together. I'm getting stovepipes and failures-to-eject, often I can't get through a mag and once there were 12 within 100rds. This is not an ammo issue; I've tried various brands. I also tried replacing the RSA in the host and the issues still occur (stock spring weight). The tricky part is that the G19 runs fine with my Octane & Mystic, and my Tirant9 runs fine on my Beretta 92 and Walther P99 (haven't tried my G17 yet). It's only when I put the G19 together with my Tirant9 that issues occur, so I'm having a tough time pinpointing the issue.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: G19 & Tirant9 Issues

Post by TROOPER »

Is it possible that you've accidentally put a fixed-spacer into the booster as opposed to the spring? Are you able to screw the silencer on to the barrel, then pull the silencer forward, away from the gun, and twist it to "index" it? Is it possible that the spring of the booster is too new and is too stiff? Are you using handloaded ammunition or some other form of under-powered factory ammunition?

The Beretta 92 you mention is practically a fixed barrel affair. The Walther P99 appears to be a "browning" type action.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

TROOPER wrote:Is it possible that you've accidentally put a fixed-spacer into the booster as opposed to the spring? Are you able to screw the silencer on to the barrel, then pull the silencer forward, away from the gun, and twist it to "index" it? Is it possible that the spring of the booster is too new and is too stiff? Are you using handloaded ammunition or some other form of under-powered factory ammunition?

The Beretta 92 you mention is practically a fixed barrel affair. The Walther P99 appears to be a "browning" type action.
The spring has always been installed. Its possible that its a little too stiff, theres maybe 500rds through the can tops. No issues indexing it whatsoever. I do usually shoot my handloads; 147gr plated pushed by 3.9gr of W231. Ive also tried Winchester T&D 147gr. The issues are the same regardless of ammo.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Could you purchase some +P ammunition to see if more *oomph* might cycle it properly? That would help refine the trouble-shooting. While it's probably true that it isn't an ammo issue, if it cycles with +P, then you'll know that it might be the booster spring. Alternatively, if you've already fired this can a lot, then your booster chamber might be slightly fouled. I have an EVO-9, and at a certain point my GLOCK 17 + EVO-9 began to choke. So I chucked a 12-gauge copper wire brush into a variable speed drill and, at very low RPMs, cleaned the booster chamber. I noticed that the booster itself is a relatively tight fit in that chamber -- necessarily so in order for proper alignment -- but it had the potential to "carbon-up" quickly, and this affected how easily my booster moved inside of the chamber. Bonus, due to the process of mechanically cleaning followed by light CLP and wiping to remove the loosened carbon, I ended up with a modestly lubricated chamber which assisted the movement of the booster, and thus assisted in the cycling.

-- try hotter ammo for the purpose of testing if the system CAN work
-- possibly check for carbon fouling inside of the booster chamber... & ... do what you can to facilitate booster movement without sacrificing the tight tolerances.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Which threaded barrel are you using?

I'm using a Tirant 45 on my G19 gen2 and everything functions ok. Using a Glock factory threaded barrel.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

GLOCK 17 + Lone Wolf Distributor threaded barrel + AAC Evo-9 (older design).

First shot did a FTF

Next 400... 500... shots (approximate) fine....

Then back to FTFs.

Cleaned booster chamber.... back to reliability.
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

I have that exact setup (2nd gen g19 and a tirant 9) with a gem-tech threaded lone wolf barrel. Mine has been 100% reliable so far with stock rsa. I vote for fouling in the booster as well.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

The piston and birdcage really aren't that dirty, but I can try cleaning the booster assembly out more. I always clean the piston where it meets the retaining cap, but I've never cleaned the entire piston.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

Finally got around to trying my Tirant9 on my G17. 45rds...zero hiccups. Put the Tirant9 on my G19...two malfunctions in the first 6rds. So after replacing the RSA which resolved nothing I think I'll try replacing the extractor next, unless anyone has any other suggestions?
n.franklin
Senior Silent Operator

Post by n.franklin »

I shoot my TiRant 9 on a factory threaded Glock 19, haven't had a single hiccup. My only experiences with aftermarket barrels on Glocks involve a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel in a Glock 23 that was horribly out of spec (the barrel) and unreliable, and a Lone Wolf threaded barrel in a Glock 21 that runs fine with a TiRant 45. I try to keep everything as factory as possible, if I can buy it in the configuration I want (such as the Glock 19 TB) then I get a warranty with it as well. Try a Factory Glock 19 threaded barrel if you have the opportunity, thread pitch is 13.5x1LH so you'll need the piston as well.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Feed /ejection problems if it works fine with most configurations is probably:

Muzzle is flipping up so that much of the energy of recoil is no longer working the action in a straight line. Firmer grip, maybe lighter recoil spring. If slide is striking at rear of cycle some energy is converted to more flip.

Back pressure is speeding up slide so it bounces off back and magazine can't time right. You might feel the slide slap the back more than usual. Add buffer to guide rod or stronger recoil spring. Some bounce is good, keep reading.

Added weight, reduced recoil, booster opperation etc. Is slowing /delaying slide so not making it back fully. Does it lock the slide back reliably? If you ease the slide to the cartridge in the magazine and let go can the recoil spring fully close the action? If not how much of a "running" start does it need? Sometimes a little bounce at the rear adds reliability.

See how it feels from one suppressor to the next and have someone look to see if recoil is different.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

Ya i agree with other posts try hotter ammo and see how that functions if it cycles fine try a lighter recoil spring.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

marcus99 wrote:My gen2 Glock 19 and Tirant9 are not playing nicely together. I'm getting stovepipes and failures-to-eject, often I can't get through a mag and once there were 12 within 100rds. This is not an ammo issue; I've tried various brands. I also tried replacing the RSA in the host and the issues still occur (stock spring weight). The tricky part is that the G19 runs fine with my Octane & Mystic, and my Tirant9 runs fine on my Beretta 92 and Walther P99 (haven't tried my G17 yet). It's only when I put the G19 together with my Tirant9 that issues occur, so I'm having a tough time pinpointing the issue.
my buddy had a Gen2 G19 w/ Octane 9. Lone Wolf barrel. It locked up on him (the barrel and slide with a live round almost in chamber). Couldn't move the slide at all.

I think the gen2 glocks don't play nice with the aftermarket barrels...or in your case, with that specific can. What barrel do you have?

I have problems with G26g4 with a can. My glockmeister told me --- try locking the slide back for a week. then retry.

That's a shot in the dark for ya, but you might try it. Also, lube the barrel up near the lockup with the slide area.
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

softer spring
then or try hotter loads .

i have a g17 with glock barrel and tirant 45 , not one problem . gen 3 model rtf gills