New .22 Pistol Hosts?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

New .22 Pistol Hosts?

Post by JasonNC »

Hello all,

I have three new .22 cans coming in the near future and think I need to beef up my .22 host collection alittle. Right now for rifles I have a Savage bolt gun, a Ruger 10/22, a Ruger American and a Sig 522. For pistols I only have a Ruger 22/45 and a decked out GSG 1911-22. So I am thinking I need a couple more .22 pistols. I would like something a little different. I have been thinking about a S&W 422 (Had one as kid and want another) or a 2213 which I think would both be good hosts. I am pretty much set on getting one of those two. As a second new host I was thinking about the Walther PPK/22 but I have read of some reliability issues. I recently was made aware of the P938-22. It is a good looking pistol but alittle on the high side when it comes to rimfire hosts when you consider something like a S&W MP-22 Compact is about $200 less and very promising looking as well. What are your thoughts or experiences with any of the above?

Thanks
Jason
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Re: New .22 Pistol Hosts?

Post by Tony M. »

I'm very happy with the S&W 422 as a host. it regularly meters about 2db quieter with the same cans and ammo as a buck mark pistol.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

I have looking at the Browning 1911-22 Black Label suppressor ready just wish they would use a steel frame and slide.
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Killerapplesauce wrote:I have looking at the Browning 1911-22 Black Label suppressor ready just wish they would use a steel frame and slide.
whats it made from? Im looking at them too. For the price, i would hope they are using good material.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Vagabond wrote:
Killerapplesauce wrote:I have looking at the Browning 1911-22 Black Label suppressor ready just wish they would use a steel frame and slide.
whats it made from? Im looking at them too. For the price, i would hope they are using good material.
Slide is made from aluminum and the frame is made from a composite. Checked one out at Cabela's and it felt real nice.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... 51&tid=820
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Killerapplesauce wrote:
Vagabond wrote:
Slide is made from aluminum and the frame is made from a composite. Checked one out at Cabela's and it felt real nice.

Aluminum, yes. If you get one in your hand, I think you'll be pleased with they way they feel. I know nothing about how they shoot. I think it may be slightly more difficult or expensive or both to have the barrel threaded, but I am confident that it is possible.

They did seem to be of higher quality.

The P22 is a disposable gun. It costs less and you get less. It isn't bad for its price, but it isn't a great gun.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Tony M. wrote:I'm very happy with the S&W 422 as a host. it regularly meters about 2db quieter with the same cans and ammo as a buck mark pistol.
Buckmark springs are notoriously light. Sure, they'll feed and fire ANYTHING but the bolts moving too fast and its a little louder than some guns. Put a stiffer spring in theree and you'll find they quiet up real nice like.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

I'm happy with my M&P 22 full size. Reliable through a high round count, and the action noise isn't too loud. If I keep the slide from moving with my thumb, it sounds just a hair quieter than normal.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Smith 422 was pretty unique; there are very few .22 pistols that will hold over 10 rounds and the 422 could be had with a 12 round mag. Made in a time when even more moderately priced pieces were made by craftsmen from not-plastic.

Pretty much all the new crop of cool-looking .22 pistols seem to be plagued by reliability issues, but I have to say I think that may be due in part to the ammo. MFG's are scrimping on powder. I have a cache of 90's production Federal bulk packs and they are noticeably more energetic than the new stuff.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Then there's the Charger...
HK Nole

Post by HK Nole »

Volquartsen scorpion :D
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Killerapplesauce wrote:
Vagabond wrote:

i held one at cabelas last week. I was very unimpressed. just seemed way too small. if id have liked it i would have bought one on the spot but i was unimpressed. also, i wish they were 100% 1911 sized, not 85%. But thats all just personal preference.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

We call this one "Moms Gun" because its the only gun I have that my wife will shoot.

quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Vagabond wrote: i held one at cabelas last week. I was very unimpressed. just seemed way too small. if id have liked it i would have bought one on the spot but i was unimpressed. also, i wish they were 100% 1911 sized, not 85%. But thats all just personal preference.
I surmise part of that is to help with reliability. Many full size 1911 conversions suffer from the round not having enough power to cycle the slide. With my Kimber conversion I find most bulk pack ammo just doesn't have the oomph to strip the next round.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

The GSG 1911-22 is a full-size 22lr replica of a regular 1911...
BeerPimp

Post by BeerPimp »

Want something a little different. Find a Beretta Target 87 that is threaded or get one and have it threaded. I had Mark McWillis at TROS USA do it. Picture of what one looks like. Its not mine.

JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

Wow I really like that Beretta!! Off to gunbroker now
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Looks like 87 target 22's run $900 ish standard barrel. Ouch.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

YugoRPK wrote:Looks like 87 target 22's run $900 ish standard barrel. Ouch.
And you won't do much better with the 87 Cheetah. Don't get me wrong, it's a great handgun, and no plastic on it at all. But it isn't cheap, and it isn't likely 'the best' either due to it's relatively limited magazine capacity, lack of rail, and inability to ever "after-market" gun sights that will clear even something small like an Element.

... but it shoots.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

One of my friends picked up a Ruger SR22 - working well and nice and trim.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

HK Nole wrote:Volquartsen scorpion :D
Ya i really like the Volquartsen scorpion it is very sexy but pricey. The route i took was a mark 3 with the Volquartsen upper omg i love it. You can get the upper from "E. Arthur Brown Company" with no sights for the same price as a "Tactical solutions" upper has a better barrel and the scope rails our build into upper. Iron sights our 70-79 dollars more but most people seem to be going with red dots sights so you mite not need them.
cpc989

Post by cpc989 »

What spring would you recommend?
YugoRPK wrote:
Tony M. wrote:I'm very happy with the S&W 422 as a host. it regularly meters about 2db quieter with the same cans and ammo as a buck mark pistol.
Buckmark springs are notoriously light. Sure, they'll feed and fire ANYTHING but the bolts moving too fast and its a little louder than some guns. Put a stiffer spring in theree and you'll find they quiet up real nice like.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Whoa. That Beretta is cool.

Nobody's mentioned it, but the new Walther PPQ 22 is awesome. We have a couple in the company and they run subsonics flawlessly. Ergos are great too.

JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

I plan to get at least 2 or 3 new .22 hosts when it comes to pistols. Right now I own the 22/45 and a GSG-1911. I just ordered a S&W M&P .22 Compact yesterday. I still want one or two more. Right now that Beretta and the PPQ are on my radar along with the PPK/S 22
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

I am going to have a bull barrel Ruger mkII cut, threaded and sight setback. Ive got a couple of the Beretta 71s and the open top slide makes it annoying to shoot because of blowback and crap in your face, suppressed or not suppressed. I still have a first run Walther P22 that runs great, actually.