interested in suppressing 35 Remingtion

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Silenced38

interested in suppressing 35 Remingtion

Post by Silenced38 »

I am interested in suppressing a .35 remington to use for hunting. Firing both subsonic and supersonic ammo. I already have a can, that i currently use on a .357 magnum rifle. As a back ground i originally built the can for use on an uzi. I later purchased a single shot .357 magnum rossi so i would have a scoped gun to use the can on. But I'm wanting a multi shot rifle. Have looked at the Ruger m77 .357 magnum. But even at full speed the .357 IMHO is lacking in power for deer. Thats why i like the .35 remington for higher velocities during hunting. i have pushed the .357 up to 1953 fts but anything over 1747 fts and i get stuck cases. The .35 remington shoots up to around 2400 fts on the high end. Has anyone done this? Or have any input?
Last edited by Silenced38 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Re: interested in suppressing 35 Remingtion

Post by johndoe3 »

...just wanted to mention about the use of the word 'hypersonic'
hy·per·son·ic
adjective
1. relating to speeds of more than five times the speed of sound (Mach 5).
2. relating to sound frequencies above about a thousand million hertz.
Technically, for the .35 Remington to shoot hypersonic bullets, it would be shooting over 5500 fps. :wink:

(obviously you meant supersonic). A railgun using electro-magnetics can fire about 7 times the speed of sound; but those are difficult to carry in the woods for hunting.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
Silenced38

Post by Silenced38 »

your right i meant supersonic. thats what happens when you don't pay attention to what you type.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

I have a 77/357 and it works fine for deer. I use the 158 XTP with no problems.

You mention "stuck cases" but no mention of in a revolver or rifle, and brand.

If I find a 35 Remington priced right, yup, I'll thread it.
Silenced38 wrote:I am interested in suppressing a .35 remington to use for hunting. Firing both subsonic and supersonic ammo. I already have a can, that i currently use on a .357 magnum rifle. As a back ground i originally built the can for use on an uzi. I later purchased a single shot .357 magnum rossi so i would have a scoped gun to use the can on. But I'm wanting a multi shot rifle. Have looked at the <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" href="http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=562915980" rel="nofollow"><span>Ruger</span></a> m77 .357 magnum. But even at full speed the .357 IMHO is lacking in power for deer. Thats why i like the .35 remington for higher velocities during hunting. i have pushed the .357 up to 1953 fts but anything over 1747 fts and i get stuck cases. The .35 remington shoots up to around 2400 fts on the high end. Has anyone done this? Or have any input?
Almost forgot, Welcome to Silencer Talk
Silenced38

Post by Silenced38 »

the stuck cases were in the rossi single shot. I also shoot hornady xtp's 158 grains. they expand nice at sub speeds. I've been toying with ideal of shooting a cast paper patched soft lead bullet. in order to get a heavier bullet that will expand at sub speeds.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

Silenced38 wrote:the stuck cases were in the rossi single shot. I also shoot hornady xtp's 158 grains. they expand nice at sub speeds. I've been toying with ideal of shooting a cast paper patched soft lead bullet. in order to get a heavier bullet that will expand at sub speeds.
My bad. I read it twice before I replied and still missed it.

Were there any signs of pressure besides the stuck cases?

The reason I ask, the same load will flatten primers in my wifes 586 and shows fine in my Redhawk.
Silenced38

Post by Silenced38 »

at the higher speed it was starting to deform the primers. I was testing it because i was thinking bout reaming it to 357 maximum. But i think thats at the max pressure for the Rossi.
Silenced38

Post by Silenced38 »

Kanook wrote:
Silenced38 wrote:the stuck cases were in the rossi single shot. I also shoot hornady xtp's 158 grains. they expand nice at sub speeds. I've been toying with ideal of shooting a cast paper patched soft lead bullet. in order to get a heavier bullet that will expand at sub speeds.

The reason I ask, the same load will flatten primers in my wifes 586 and shows fine in my Redhawk.
You said 77/357 worked fine on deer. Was that with subsonic loads? Xtp's?
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

Silenced38 wrote:
Kanook wrote:

You said 77/357 worked fine on deer. Was that with subsonic loads? Xtp's?
Not out of a 77/357, but the 158 XTPs out of my Handi Rifle 357 work fine at 950 fps out to 80 yards or so on deer.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

I use the 77/357 and XTP for deer. I bought some loaded 357mag stating on the box 1500FPS. The sales rep said out of a 6" barrel. didn't think to ask revolver or not. I found a box (500) of some 238 grain Penn that I plan on using for subs.

My Ruger has been cut down to 16" and threaded, don't have access to a chrony anymore.

I bought a Marlin 35 Remington in good shape to down load it until I could find a 357. The condition is to nice to thread the barrel considering what Remington has done to Marlin.

After some research I discovered that the Liberty Mystic X can handle .35 Remington, so I am looking for another Marlin needing love to shorten. With the value of a Marlin on the rise for 357mag the 35 Remington is a hidden secret. The only problem is ammo for the non reloader and brass for the reloader.
Silenced38

Post by Silenced38 »

Kanook wrote:I use the 77/357 and XTP for deer. I bought some loaded 357mag stating on the box 1500FPS. The sales rep said out of a 6" barrel. didn't think to ask revolver or not. I found a box (500) of some 238 grain Penn that I plan on using for subs.

My Ruger has been cut down to 16" and threaded, don't have access to a chrony anymore.

I bought a Marlin 35 Remington in good shape to down load it until I could find a 357. The condition is to nice to thread the barrel considering what Remington has done to Marlin.

After some research I discovered that the Liberty Mystic X can handle .35 Remington, so I am looking for another Marlin needing love to shorten. With the value of a Marlin on the rise for 357mag the 35 Remington is a hidden secret. The only problem is ammo for the non reloader and brass for the reloader.
I was thinking about marlin 35 rem. Shorten the barrel to 16" and have it threaded. Shortening the mag tube to hold 3 rounds. Have the sight moved back to just aft of the threads. then shoot subs or supers. With my .357 it has the same point of impact with subs or supers as long as its the same bullet weight. Does your Ruger do that?
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

Silenced38 wrote: I was thinking about marlin 35 rem. Shorten the barrel to 16" and have it threaded. Shortening the mag tube to hold 3 rounds. Have the sight moved back to just aft of the threads. then shoot subs or supers. With my .357 it has the same point of impact with subs or supers as long as its the same bullet weight. Does your Ruger do that?
Not sure if the Ruger will or not, I never tried.

Have you measured the sight height for the Marlin and your suppressor? I was just going to put a scope on it.

The other thing that is holding me back (besides lack of money) is the Rossi Ranch Hand. A 12" barreled lever action. I need to add a 4 1/2" fixed extension so I can add a stock and suppressor with no F1. Just a matter of which one first.

If you do a search, you will find that a couple of members here have suppressed their .35's.
Silenced38

Post by Silenced38 »

Not out of a 77/357, but the 158 XTPs out of my Handi Rifle 357 work fine at 950 fps out to 80 yards or so on deer.[/quote]

Ive killed many deer with 230 XTP's .45 cal from my muzzle loader. I had a little forked horn at 15 yards last year. When i had the 357 but i let him walk. too small. probably should have test the 357.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

You could find yourself an old Remington 760.

35 cal subsonic hollow point cast bullets worked really well on a small whitetail buck for me last fall. It's a custom mold though, you can't buy these bullets.

Silenced38

Post by Silenced38 »

yondering wrote:You could find yourself an old Remington 760.

35 cal subsonic hollow point cast bullets worked really well on a small whitetail buck for me last fall. It's a custom mold though, you can't buy these bullets.

Thats a good looking setup. What bullet weight are you shooting?
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

The hollow points pictured are 255gr, or can be 270gr solids. I also use 200gr RN full power as well.