Which "Budget" Suppressor?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Olympus

Which "Budget" Suppressor?

Post by Olympus »

I'm looking for a 45 caliber suppressor to use for multiple guns and calibers, 9mm mostly with occassional 45 and possibly 300BLK in the future. I'm looking to stay under $550 if possible. Right now, I'm looking at Gemtech GM-45 and Thompson Isis 2 45. Anything I need to be aware of with these two models? Any other options I should consider?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Which "Budget" Suppressor?

Post by doubloon »

Add your $200 stamp to the cost before you compare prices.

Think about "value" buys over "budget" buys.

There are sites with relatively up to date metering information available if that kind of thing is important to you.

Some of the top tier 45 cans are barely "hearing safe" and the difference between a top tier suppressor and a budget suppressor can easily be 10dB.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Olympus

Post by Olympus »

$550 is my budget just for the can. I've already factored the cost of the stamp. 9mm would be the primary caliber. I just want the ability to shoot other calibers. I can't afford a can for every caliber.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Believe it or not, the word "budget" should not be in your vocabulary when it comes to NFA items.
They're in essence buy-once-cry-once lifetime purchases. And you should go for the best brands right off the bat.
Everything in the NFA world is expensive and easily adds up. Even mounts, pistons, adapters, endcaps, etc.

Having said that, you can't go wrong with the Octane 45.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I agree - save a little longer and get the best can (suppression) available when you buy

- if you really want to be cheap - build your own.

You will keep about $200 of your budget in your pocket
viewforum.php?f=10
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/43432 ... _____.html
http://sdtacticalarms-com.3dcartstores. ... e_c_8.html
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
sqidgy789

Post by sqidgy789 »

Might have to bump that budget up. Even the Griffin Revo 9 is $595. I've shot it personally and thought it was pretty good. Otherwise I'm a huge fan of the Osprey, tho they are just under $700. Good luck man.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Isis 2 is "cheap", until you factor in all the adapters. You couldn't give me a GT can(well, maybe). Save another 130, and get an Octane 45.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
roodyrocker
Silent Operator

Post by roodyrocker »

The two I went with are the YHM Cobra M2 and the Silencerco Octane 45. They will both handle most common semi auto calibers, including 10mm. The mounts for the YHM Cobra M2 are pretty reasonably priced too. I also had great customer service from YHM when I needed them. The Octane 45 is still in NFA jail but I expect it to be a great performer once it arrives.

Rudy
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Another vote for Octane (or the Revo, both good designs and both good companies).

What's another $150 or so? Even if you just amortize it over the wait to get the can, $150/6 mo = $25 so skip Burger King once a week and get an awesome can
Olympus

Post by Olympus »

Ok, so I bump my budget up. Octane 45 HD or Liberty Mydtic X?
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

Olympus wrote:Ok, so I bump my budget up. Octane 45 HD or Liberty Mydtic X?
Does the mystic ship with the adapter or do you have to buy one? If you have to buy one, that will up your price.

edit: capital armory shows that the mount/adapter is extra. That's another $95 ontop of the suppressor. I'd go Octane 45HD, that's just my opinion.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Go Octane 45. Only with that particular 45acp silencer can you legally swap the endcap to an optional 9mm endcap when shooting subcalibers.
Pretty decent improvement in sound performance when shooting 9mm and 300 BLK.

Purchased only through Silencershop:
http://www.silencershop.com/accessories ... d-cap.html

Mystic can handle full power 556 and 300 BLK, but you can't shoot 40 and 45.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

I debated, debated, scratched, figured, priced, etc,...

SC Octane 45K

JW
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

Octane 45 or Revolution 45 would probably fit your needs the best... but you would need to up the budget a bit for them. The best way to go about NFA items is to save up and get what will be the best for you. They aren't easy to resell, and I hear it so often "Yeah, I have x can but I don't really like it, this is what I wanted originally and I should have just saved up for it."

If we're talking $550 vs $3500, obviously I could see a need for a budget item. But $550 vs. $700--- just don't drink beer, buy soda, or go out to eat for a little bit and you've got the extra $150.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
Olympus

Post by Olympus »

Next question, can the TiN baffles of the Revolution be safely used in the dip for cleaning?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

IIRC, I think hydrogen peroxide is one of the ingredients in a concoction specifically for removing TiN coatings. I could be wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Olympus

Post by Olympus »

I emailed Griffin directly so hopefully they will reply with an answer.
Allsmiles

Post by Allsmiles »

https://www.facebook.com/Dawsonville-Gu ... /timeline/

Check out these prices and give them a call if you want. This is off another website I'm on. Osprey45 for $499 and TiRant45 for $549.
Silenced38

Post by Silenced38 »

I say build your own. I like to tinker so i built mine about 13 years ago. Back then i counldnt get any parts so i had to build it all. Its been a blast. I've rebuilt it numerous times to try different baffles and set ups. Way more fun than just screwing a can on the end of a gun and shooting. Now you can buy all the parts online. just drill holes in the baffles and shoot.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

The most expensive silencer you will ever buy is the one you regret buying because it sucks.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
blueheeler66

Post by blueheeler66 »

Both are good cans.
I'd go with a TiRant45 though.
I have a TM QMF2 can and I like it also for being a wet can.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

I went with the Liberty Mystic and I am happy with my choice so far. My decision was based more for rifle use than pistol.

I have used it for a true 357mag in a rifle, .223 and 6.8spc in AR rifle, both super and subs 300 AAC blk, 9mm rifle, and 22lr. I am getting more barrels threaded. I plan on getting a couple 9mm pistols threaded also.

The "X" version came out 2 weeks after I purchased the Mystic (my luck) and I will do the upgrade when I can afford so that I can use 357max and 35 Remington.

Having different adapters starts to add up, but it is still less than buying more suppressors which will happen anyway. I shoot a bunch of cast so being able to take apart and clean is important.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

Silenced38 wrote:I say build your own. I like to tinker so i built mine about 13 years ago. Back then i counldnt get any parts so i had to build it all. Its been a blast. I've rebuilt it numerous times to try different baffles and set ups. Way more fun than just screwing a can on the end of a gun and shooting. Now you can buy all the parts online. just drill holes in the baffles and shoot.
I was always under the impression that it is a "one time" build. You could take away material, but not replace.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

rimshaker wrote:Believe it or not, the word "budget" should not be in your vocabulary when it comes to NFA items.
They're in essence buy-once-cry-once lifetime purchases. And you should go for the best brands right off the bat.
Everything in the NFA world is expensive and easily adds up. Even mounts, pistons, adapters, endcaps, etc.

Having said that, you can't go wrong with the Octane 45.
Agree with the word "budget". It is buy now cry later. There really isn't much of a market for a used can so think of it as a lifetime investment, like it or not. My advice is stay away from aluminum baffles and get the lightest can, weight wise for your needs. These two usually translate into more dollars.
thebangswitch

Post by thebangswitch »

I love my octane 45 And the 9mm end cap definitely makes a difference