Stuck Between 3 Silencers

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Hawkeye0022

Stuck Between 3 Silencers

Post by Hawkeye0022 »

Hey everybody first off I'm new to the silencer world and I'm looking to buy my first one. i've done a lot of reading reviews and now I'm kinda stuck between three silencers. the AAC Cyclone, AAC 300-TM and SilencerCo Omega. Im going to be running it on a R700 tactical short action 308 heavy contour 20in barrel. I load the rounds with 168g a-max running at 2,600fps. I usually shoot between 100-500 yards. From what i have been reading most people recommend for bolt action getting a screw on over the quick detach. and since this is the only rifle that i would want one on so a screw on would probably be better. I really would like to avoid a heavy can hanging off the end and with the Cyclone weighing in a 22.4oz its the heaviest of the 3 but at the same time the reviews are great on the Cyclone that I've seen. Also since it has a McMillan fiberglass stock its already on the heavy side. What do you guys think?
Last edited by Hawkeye0022 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Re: Stuck Between 3 Silencers

Post by ericdraven »

of those 3 the omega
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Post by Loki_stormbringer »

Omega.
Hawkeye0022

Post by Hawkeye0022 »

Thanks for your guys input. Now can i ask why you said Omega ? What does it have over the Cyclone?
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

For a bolt gun, I'd go for a large titanium can because it will offer the maximum suppression in the lightest possible package. So I'd get the 300-TM from those choices. It's lighter than cyclone and has more volume and tougher than the Omega. I'm still not completely sold on Omega. It's advertised numbers has it performing better than cans with a lot more volume, but there has been very little third party testing. Some of those tests showed the Omega not performing as advertised. I've held one and its hard for me to believe that a can on a little larger than my Mini-4 (a short, QD 556 suppressor) suppresses 5-10 db better than it with 556. I'd like to see more testing before I'm convinced its the wonder can everyone says it is. Either way, in my opinion the Omega would be better suited on a semi-auto shooting 300 blk or 556 rather than a 308 bolt gun.

Problem with the 300-TM is that they are pretty hard to get, at least they were last year when I was looking for one. Give Thunderbeast cans a look. The company specializes in making cans specifically for precision bolt action guns. The new Ultra 9 is very light weight and supposedly quieter than their previous 30P-1 and AAC's 300-TM. Even if it doesn't live up to its claimed performance, it's probably equal to those cans in suppression and I'd bet good money it performs better than the Omega. If you can pick one up locally, the 30P-1 is a good choice as well. Its comparable to the 300-TM in performance, size and weight. You probably could get one for a good deal since they were superseded by the Ultra 9.
thecameraman79
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thecameraman79 »

My vote is Omega. I have a Rem 700 SPS AAC-SD with the 20" heavy barrel and that's what I went with. Unfortunately mine is still in jail for the time being. Everyone (that doesn't own one) makes the Omega out to be some fragile suppressor. It is rated down to 16" on .308 and full auto rated. SilencerCo has an amazing warranty/reputation of CS and IF it had any issues I wouldn't be concerned that they wouldn't fix it free of charge.

Silencer Shops testing of the Omega showed it has significantly better numbers up front then the TB Ultra 9 (which is 2" longer) 133.0 vs 138.5. It loses out significantly at the ear numbers though 138.5 vs 130.4. It was on the same 16" bolt gun and ammo (different day I would assume) so I would expect better at the ear numbers for both cans on a 20" gun. If you are looking for at the ear numbers the Ultra 9 would probably be the way to go and if you wanted a 2" shorter can that will impress your friends near by the Omega looks like the way to go.

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7 ... -7-62.html

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7 ... a-9cb.html?

I'm sure Jeremy can weigh in with his opinions on tone of them both or what he would buy. The TB Ultra 9 is $440 more expensive then the Omega which is also quite a bit more expensive.
Hawkeye0022

Post by Hawkeye0022 »

Thats exactly what this can will be a dedicated can for this rifle only. thats kinda where my hang up is with the Omega i haven't seen to much 3rd party testing. yes i agree the the manufacturers testing looks awesome but don't they all lol. basically I'm already going to have right about a grand wrapped up give or take into a supressor including tax stamp and cost. so i just want to make sure I'm getting something i will defiantly like and not be pissed off later with it.
thecameraman79
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thecameraman79 »

Silencershop is 3rd party testing... They sell silencers, they don't care which ones you buy :wink:. No matter what you buy something bigger and better will come out next year (2 months later). There isn't a lot of 3rd party testing for any can not just the Omega. And you can't just compare the numbers one person gets vs another because of variables, weapon, ammo, elevation, temperature, etc etc. Without being able to test each and every .30 can on your particular rifle with a sound meter the same day with the same ammo you'll never be able to tell which will be best on your exact rifle.

So far it's 3 votes for Omega and I'm not sure what you're hoping to hear that will sway you one way or another. They are all good cans. I don't think anyone could say to stay completely away from any of them. Maybe the AAC because people don't like the CS they didn't get during the move but they seem to be 100% up and running at this point but I have 4 AAC cans and love them all.
Hawkeye0022 wrote:Thats exactly what this can will be a dedicated can for this rifle only. thats kinda where my hang up is with the Omega i haven't seen to much 3rd party testing. yes i agree the the manufacturers testing looks awesome but don't they all lol. basically I'm already going to have right about a grand wrapped up give or take into a supressor including tax stamp and cost. so i just want to make sure I'm getting something i will defiantly like and not be pissed off later with it.
Hawkeye0022

Post by Hawkeye0022 »

Thank you and you are right its just tough deciding you know lol
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

I'll be the party pooper and suggest the new Dead Air Sandman Ti.

Weighs about the same as the 300-TM, but is shorter and way more durable (full stellite baffle stack).
thecameraman79
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thecameraman79 »

No worries, this will be your first but definitely not your last. I don't think anyone on here has just 1 (unless they are just starting out). Even with all the research and opinions and testing in the world helps but doesn't insure that it will be best for your exact setup. The tone is often a deciding factor. A slightly higher db rating with a lower (more pleasant) tone is often more sought after then a slightly lower db raiting with a higher pitch tone. Considering military standard testing is only done at the muzzle if you just had those numbers the omega would have been the clear number. Luckily silencer shop does at the ear numbers too and it is a total flip flop. Good luck and when you think you have the best one picked out and your waiting for your F4 to come back something better will come out.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

I just went through the decision making process and the three you listed were in the running. The can would primarily live on a 12.5" 6.8 SBR. The Omega isn't rated for a 12.5" 6.8, so I crosssed it off, and I was very, very excited about it when it first came out. I ended up going with a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 and have been very, very impressed with it so far. Give the TBAC Ultra 7 and Ultra 9 a look before making final decision.

ULTRA 9 direct thread 13.7 OZ
https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-9

ULTRA 7 direct thread 11.5 OZ
https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7
ugareloader

Post by ugareloader »

rimshaker wrote:I'll be the party pooper and suggest the new Dead Air Sandman Ti.

Weighs about the same as the 300-TM, but is shorter and way more durable (full stellite baffle stack).

This is exactly what I was gonna say. And I own a Omega
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

Let me jump in on the Sandman-Ti can. The shop owner here has one on his 308 SBR for hunting. I'm putting one on my 700 for hunting / long range use.

Top of the line suppression, and they weigh a bit less and are a tad shorter than anything else in class for that strong of dB reduction. Downside, of course... is QD mount. But for some folks, that's not a downside at all.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

I'll throw one in for the Cyclone. It's heavy, but the suppression is phenomenal. Another great can not on your list, is the Harvester. I'm really impressed with mine, and the caliber compatibility is great. I have run it on my Ruger 243, 700 AAC-SD, and Nemo Omen. It really is a great light weight can for precision shooting, and hunting.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
blueheeler66

Post by blueheeler66 »

Of the 3, I'd try the 300TM. It was on my short list at the time they were supposed to have been out on the market.

Instead I picked up a Cyclone, with no regrets.
Added to the stable are a TBA 30-P, SAS Arbiter, and a Liberty Victory. All are good.
The Dead Air Sandman has my interest also.
There are a lot of good cans on the market.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Here's my opinion on cans for a 300.

A couple years back when I was shopping for 300 cal cans I bought a Liberty Freedom Mag because I wanted something that I could use on my 300 win mag....and a Thompson Machine Thirty because I wanted something a bit smaller than the Freedom Mag (both are heavy). I was OK with heavy and long at the time because I don't walk around with my guns but shoot from a deer stand or a bench at a range. I recently bought an Omega because a lot has changed in availability of weight/length since I bought my Freedom and my Thompson Machine Thirty. Now that the Omega is here the others will sit in the safe more often than not. Even if the Omega would be a few dB's higher than the Freedom Mag and the T.M. Thirty I wouldn't notice when shooting anyways. It's just soooo much shorter and lighter that it's easier to handle.....even if I'm only sitting in a deer stand or shooting at the range.

My opinion is to get something lighter (Omega)....it's just soooo much more convenient when shooting. Also, the extra length/weight with the Freedom makes the gun so front heavy that it always falls backwards over my shoulder when carrying the rifle/can combo with a sling.
I've gotta stop this habit.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

I've got a 300TM and it's great. Good suppression, lightweight, durable, minimal shift, and it tightened my groups a little as well.

I'd also take a look at the Ultra series as ncorry suggested.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I like my 300TM, but I bought it before the Omega came out. I would go with the Omega hands down if I were to do it all over again.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K