Griffin Optimus?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Griffin Optimus?

Post by JeffWard »

http://www.griffinarmament.com/OPTIMUS- ... /gaopt.htm

Looks like a hell of a can... $986 Street price for a 22LR-300WinMag serviceable can...

Opinions?

JW
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Re: Griffin Optimus?

Post by OJB4 »

Looks like a great option for all those new silencertalk members that ask recommendations for a budget can. I say Budget can not because it's a cheap can, but because it's inevitable that once they buy one can they'll get more......So, why not get something like this one and be able to shoot everything from 22lr - 300 win mag. Sure, you can't shoot .45 but that's not really NEEDED for those who want to get off as cheaply as possible. It would be cheaper to buy one of these than to buy:

- 22 lr can at $400-$600 plus tax stamp
- .45 can at $700 bucks plus tax stamp
- 7.62 can at $800 - $1000 plus tax stamp

One can to shoot them all......Nice looking work Griffin. A light rifle can that can be used on a pistol and 22 lr. I can't wait to hear a review from somebody who buys one. It won't be me though. I've stopped buying cans and rifles now that my Omega came in. I'm DONE!

Jay
I've gotta stop this habit.
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

THIS. This will be my next can.
thecameraman79
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thecameraman79 »

Agree with most of this but in one breath you say you can't use it on .45 but then the next you say it is cheaper then having to buy the three calibers listed but it doesn't cover .45. My guess is you meant 9mm possibly?

It looks like a great all around can which does everything pretty well except I don't see it being used practically on a 22 pistol at least. Maybe on a bolt 22 where you aren't carrying it because 16 oz on a .22 handgun would be stupid heavy and too large to be able to see even with high sights probably. On a 9mm it's still about 6 oz heavier then a typically 9mm can. I like that you can use it with a 3 lug for 9mm, 5.56 and 300blk so you can run it basically QD under a handguard. It's amazing that it comes with basically all the pieces you could possibly want right off the bat. I could definitely see adding one of these to my collection.
OJB4 wrote:Looks like a great option for all those new silencertalk members that ask recommendations for a budget can. I say Budget can not because it's a cheap can, but because it's inevitable that once they buy one can they'll get more......So, why not get something like this one and be able to shoot everything from 22lr - 300 win mag. Sure, you can't shoot .45 but that's not really NEEDED for those who want to get off as cheaply as possible. It would be cheaper to buy one of these than to buy:

- 22 lr can at $400-$600 plus tax stamp
- .45 can at $700 bucks plus tax stamp
- 7.62 can at $800 - $1000 plus tax stamp

One can to shoot them all......Nice looking work Griffin. A light rifle can that can be used on a pistol and 22 lr. I can't wait to hear a review from somebody who buys one. It won't be me though. I've stopped buying cans and rifles now that my Omega came in. I'm DONE!

Jay
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

I already own/shoot an Omega, I have an Octane K 45 on Form 4, and a TacSol Axiom on Form 4.

I believe 3 cans for 6+ guns is the best option... but yes, for a limited budget buyer, or for a SHTF scenario... where you'll need limited pack weight... This Optimus looks like a great option.

Only limitation... No direct thread for rifle, 3-Lug mount only?

JW
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

Nice looks very interesting have a cousin about to get his first suppressor this would be a great first can.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

I'm excited for Griffin. Looks like a cool can. It's a bit pricey for an entry level can, so that might be an issue for some. I think they might have misnamed it, though. Should have called it General-us. Dedicated cans are really more optimized for their individual use. As an all-around suppressor, it's more of a jack of all trades, master of none. Totally not dogging it (cause I think it's cool), but you need to know that it's going to be heavy for rimfire and 9mm, and light weight and light duty for rifle. Customers need to really understand their usage needs and many new users in the suppressor world may not have that knowledge yet.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

[quote="thecameraman79"]Agree with most of this but in one breath you say you can't use it on .45 but then the next you say it is cheaper then having to buy the three calibers listed but it doesn't cover .45. My guess is you meant 9mm possibly?

It looks like a great all around can which does everything pretty well except I don't see it being used practically on a 22 pistol at least. Maybe on a bolt 22 where you aren't carrying it because 16 oz on a .22 handgun would be stupid heavy and too large to be able to see even with high sights probably. On a 9mm it's still about 6 oz heavier then a typically 9mm can. I like that you can use it with a 3 lug for 9mm, 5.56 and 300blk so you can run it basically QD under a handguard. It's amazing that it comes with basically all the pieces you could possibly want right off the bat. I could definitely see adding one of these to my collection.

I say .45 can because IF you wanted to do it as cheaply as possibe and opted to get three cheaper cans instead of this one then I would think most would likely pick the .45 can since you can use em for the 9mm's. I do agree that you wouldn't be likely to put in on a 22 pistol though. It could be done (I wouldn't, since like you said...that would be a bit on the heavy side....LOL)
I've gotta stop this habit.
Toetagger
Silent Operator

Post by Toetagger »

Has anyone seen an expected release date for this yet. I do believe this will be my first can. Just waiting for my brother to get his portion of the trust notarized.
Allsmiles

Post by Allsmiles »

http://www.quietriotfirearms.com/produc ... ptimus.htm

These are good people to deal with and he has a large class3 fun sections.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Toetagger wrote:Has anyone seen an expected release date for this yet. I do believe this will be my first can. Just waiting for my brother to get his portion of the trust notarized.
Distributors are just now getting serial numbers.
Toetagger
Silent Operator

Post by Toetagger »

Allsmiles wrote:http://www.quietriotfirearms.com/produc ... ptimus.htm

These are good people to deal with and he has a large class3 fun sections.
WOW...great price and available for order now....kinda seals the deal for me. Just need to make sure my local dealer won't gouge me too bad on a transfer fee.