Ultrasonic Cleaner

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Vesper
Silent Operator

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Vesper »

Can anyone recommend a good ultrasonic cleaner on Amazon? I see the Hornady model but at $77, I think it's a little much for only using once or twice a year. Any cheap alternatives anyone has been using with success?
Host: M41A Pulse Rifle
Can: Jelly Donut
silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by silencertalk »

My larger one is $1900 on Amazon.

My small one was at least a few hundred.

$77 sounds inexpensive.

That being said, I am not a big believer in them after owning them.
Vesper
Silent Operator

Post by Vesper »

silencertalk wrote:My larger one is $1900 on Amazon.

My small one was at least a few hundred.

$77 sounds inexpensive.

That being said, I am not a big believer in them after owning them.
Why? I was thinking it would be a good tool on cleaning the baffles.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

I just use one from Harbor Freight. Wait for a 20%+ super coupon and it's about $60.
scrogrw

Post by scrogrw »

Ditto on the Harbor Freight model. I have had one for two years and it works fine for general cleaning of gun parts, cases, and steel baffles. Just watch putting anodized aluminum components in it especially if you are running hot water.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

I'm not a expert but really don't believe in buying cheap I would check out the Hornady lock in loader magnum ultrasonic cleaner it is a higher end one and can be found for around 180-200 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Stainless ... B004EXWERQ . I have had my for a couple years it's all stainless steel and has worked flawlessly for me. I use it more for cleaning brass then baffles but works great for both.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

tumbler beats the bubble bath hands down and all around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I've found that an ultrasonic + CLR makes baffles absurdly clean.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

That Hornady looks good and has a lot of good reviews. I would probably just get that. The price seems very good to me.

You can ruin aluminum in ultrasonics. I destroyed a S&W pistol, told them what I did, and they fixed it under warranty and paid two-way shipping (which was impressive of them, since it was my fault).
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

They harbor freight one is the same as the one Lyman sells except lyman has a basket type of design to the plate style of the harbor freight.
07/02 behind enemy lines
Marsblue

Post by Marsblue »

I haven't used a ultrasonic cleaner on my suppressors yet, but I have used one a lot to clean greasy bicycle and other parts (until it broke). They work amazingly well for that. Anything on the cheaper end will probably be about the same whether harbor freight or name brand, as they are all probably made in china. Getting one that has a built in heater makes them much more effective. Be sure to keep adequate liquid in there before running it and to keep parts off the bottom where the transducer is located. A basket or something to suspend whatever you're cleaning will keep the saves from bouncing back and destroying the ceramic transducer.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Marsblue wrote:I haven't used a ultrasonic cleaner on my suppressors yet, but I have used one a lot to clean greasy bicycle and other parts (until it broke). They work amazingly well for that. Anything on the cheaper end will probably be about the same whether harbor freight or name brand, as they are all probably made in china. Getting one that has a built in heater makes them much more effective. Be sure to keep adequate liquid in there before running it and to keep parts off the bottom where the transducer is located. A basket or something to suspend whatever you're cleaning will keep the saves from bouncing back and destroying the ceramic transducer.
When i cleaned my element 2 i used dip first on the baffles but there was still a little residue so pop then in ultrasonic cleaner they came out looking like they where never used.
skyegod

Post by skyegod »

Harbor freight one works very well
Vesper
Silent Operator

Post by Vesper »

I bought the Hornady Lock N Load. Had some Amazon credit. Thinking of using the Hornady cleaner unless you guys can recommend something else????
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Vesper wrote:I bought the Hornady Lock N Load. Had some Amazon credit. Thinking of using the Hornady cleaner unless you guys can recommend something else????
Cool think you will really like it i have been very happy with mine. I have been using the hornady brand cleaners and they seem to work fine, their parts cleaner really stinks bad though i had to use it in my garage because it was giving me a headache their brass cleaner doesn't smell nearly as bad. I have also heard people using a product called "Purple Power" you can get it at lowes and im sure home depot too.
Minotbob

Post by Minotbob »

I have both sonic cleaners , one of the Harbor Freight and one of the Hornady lower priced ones. They both work good. The HF does heat the solution. After several unsuccessful attempts to clean the baffles in my Mack Bros Echo suppressor, I was told to try Frog Lube Solvent, after 20 minutes in the sonic cleaner. I might also add that I am using the Hornady Sonic Cleaning solution. I had to use the Dremel tool with a brass brush, Dremel #'s 535 & 537. They work fantastic. After I got them clean to my satisfaction I rubbed on a coat of Frog Lube CLP. I think the Dremel is the best solution to getting off the stubborn carbon and the Frog Lube really softens the carbon.

Bob
MinotBob