Suppressor Selection for Lightweight AR

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Tex Suppressed

Suppressor Selection for Lightweight AR

Post by Tex Suppressed »

Hello everybody,

Glad to find a resource like this forum to help me purchase my next suppressor. Putting together a lightweight AR in 223 Wylde. The shorter the better (it's already longer than I like but Proof doesn't have anything shorter than 14.5") and weight is a concern. I'm not made of money but cost isn't everything. (If I can't afford something I'm not the kind of guy who will buy a cheaper alternative. I just save up.)

I'm definitely open to suggestions. Right now I'm thinking about these in no particular order:

Griffin M4SD II or M4SD-K
*Never purchased a Griffin but they just updated them and they look very promising. The II is more length and weight than I'd like but for a reported 8db reduction it might be worth it. Visit their web page to see the latest versions. All the sites like Silencer Shop are still selling the old.*
http://www.griffinarmament.com/category-s/1829.htm

Silencerco Saker-K
*Love Silencerco products and their service. Have a Saker 7.62 already but it's too long and heavy for this gun I'm putting together. If I had to buy a suppressor based on reputation and nothing else, it would be Silencerco.*

Gemtech Trek-T or Patrolman
*Hesitant to buy Gem-Tech, had terrible customer service from them on my last 2 purchases. However, both these suppressors fit what I'm looking for to a T.*

Surefire SOCOM556-MINI2
*Rock solid and a reliable reputation, but I don't believe it will deliver hearing safe suppression.*

I'm using a 14.5" Proof research barrel so I'll be looking for a comp, flash hider, or brake to permanently pin to the barrel to avoiding paying the SBR stamp. Thread in only cans are not an option.

Appreciate any advice you guys have!
Liberty Suppress

Re: Suppressor Selection for Lightweight AR

Post by Liberty Suppress »

I would take a look at Liberty Suppressors Triumph.

Of course, I work for Liberty, but still.... take a look at it.

Tim@Liberty
Liberty Suppressors
"Maker of the world's greatest firearm suppressors."
www.libertycans.net
706-661-6911
bnanaphone

Post by bnanaphone »

Given your choices, why not stick with the Saker line? That way you can swap cans from your guns that share the same muzzle device. I first bought a Specwar 762 for everything (5.56 to 7.62 guns) but it was just a beast for my two 5.56 guns (11.5" SBR and 16" lightweight rifles) and the K version is perfect. The weight/balance is really nice on my 16" lightweight upper too.

I am also a big fan of Silencer Co with minimal POI shift, great suppression and robust construction.

I have no experience with other cans because Silencer Co has taken good care of me. Good luck.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Omega direct thread is 6.19" long and weighs about 12oz. Shown below is direct thread on a 12" barrel

Tex Suppressed

Post by Tex Suppressed »

I appreciate all the feedback fellas. I'm pretty set I think on the Griffin M4SD-K Gen 3 after thinking about it.

I love Silencerco and will continue to buy their products but I also want to try something new which is why after already owning a Saker purchasing another one isn't as inviting.

I'm looking for a small/qd option which rules out liberty and the omega out but I gotta say I like that liberty Uzi suppressor after checking out the lineup. I definitely see that in my future.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

FWIW I have a Recce 5 and a Recce 7 and am pleased with the suppression. Both seem to be well-made cans.

VERY impressed with the suppression of the Recce 5 for its size, almost imperceptible difference from the 7 on 5.56

Haven't needed much customer service from Griffin but the one time I emailed them with a question, they responded VERY quickly and it was during the holidays.
Tex Suppressed

Post by Tex Suppressed »

quiettime wrote:FWIW I have a Recce 5 and a Recce 7 and am pleased with the suppression. Both seem to be well-made cans.

VERY impressed with the suppression of the Recce 5 for its size, almost imperceptible difference from the 7 on 5.56

Haven't needed much customer service from Griffin but the one time I emailed them with a question, they responded VERY quickly and it was during the holidays.
That's awesome to hear. Officially ordered it today from 54-17 Arms. They have a Black Friday special and it was only $685 shipped!
krowpots

Post by krowpots »

You cannot beat the Brevis II Ultra on weight and length 3.7in long and 7.5oz. If it lives up to their claims it's also hearing safe: https://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressor ... essor.html
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Post by Loki_stormbringer »

krowpots wrote:You cannot beat the Brevis II Ultra on weight and length 3.7in long and 7.5oz. If it lives up to their claims it's also hearing safe: https://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressor ... essor.html

No 556 rifle shooting standard ammo is hearing safe to my knowledge.

Also if your shooting subsonic 556, why? Its a .22 at that point.
truenorth
Silent Operator

Post by truenorth »

Loki_stormbringer wrote:
krowpots wrote:You cannot beat the Brevis II Ultra on weight and length 3.7in long and 7.5oz. If it lives up to their claims it's also hearing safe: https://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressor ... essor.html

Also if your shooting subsonic 556, why? Its a .22 at that point.

I love that statement. However nothing could be further from the truth.
The sub 5.56 is far more efficient, accurate, will penetrate more, is more reliable , and will in general out perform a rimfire any day . A 70 grain bullet at 1050 fps is almost twice as powerful as 40 grain bullet out of a 22lr at 1000 fps.
Sorry for the rant, but don't rely on interweb half truths to educate others.
The little Brevis can rocks, and should live up to all hearing safe expectations.
I used a pre production model albeit in .308/ and wished I would of purchased it on the spot. I don't need hollywierd stealth, as I am not all tactical in any respect. My experience has lead me to believe that tiny and pretty quiet is way more usefull ( to me ) than stealthy and bigger.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Mystic X, its pretty light and versatile, even though its a 9mm can, you can shoot 223 through it.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
tf2addict
Silent Operator

Post by tf2addict »

Loki_stormbringer wrote:

There are plenty of silencers that bring regular old 5.56 ammo down to the mid and upper 130 dB Range.
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Post by Loki_stormbringer »

tf2addict wrote:
Loki_stormbringer wrote:

There are plenty of silencers that bring regular old 5.56 ammo down to the mid and upper 130 dB Range.
http://guns.connect.fi/rs/dirdiagr.html
Sonic crack from a bullet breaking sound barrier is not hearing safe.
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

tf2addict wrote:
Loki_stormbringer wrote:

That's measured at the muzzle. Semi-autos of all kinds have a lot of noise coming from the ejection port/breach. Decibel Level at the shooter's ear for an AR are usually right around 139-142 for 223/556. Look at Silencershop videos from the past year. On the results page they usually have the average at the shooter's ear at the bottom.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

I was thinking of getting a HALO Ti for my 10.5 SBR.