Just how hot do suppressors get?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Just how hot do suppressors get?

Post by cvasqu03 »

I was in the BBQ section at Bass Pro over the weekend and saw they had a set of knit gloves that were rated to handle up to 400 degrees for only $20. It got me to thinking. Recently in the thread about the magazines (publications) I mentioned that the first issue of G&A Silencers mentioned two sets of similar gloves, the Oveglove which can handle temperatures up to 540 degrees and the grillheataid which is thicker can handle up to 932 degrees.

Obviously, it would be simple to just buy the one with the highest heat rating, but that one costs almost twice what the one at BPS costs, so I was wondering if anyone out there has actually measured how hot their suppressors get. I actually have a handheld laser thermometer in my range bag but I didn't even think about using it back when I was trying out my suppressors (heck I had a sound meter I completely forgot about in my excitement :) )

Anyway, I figured if anyone knew or had tried it out, it would be the people on this forum.

Anyone?
Eric-M

Re: Just how hot do suppressors get?

Post by Eric-M »

I saw a test where a 5.56 can got over 700 degrees F from 60 rounds semi auto.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

cvasqu03 wrote:I was in the BBQ section at Bass Pro over the weekend and saw they had a set of knit gloves that were rated to handle up to 400 degrees for only $20. It got me to thinking. Recently in the thread about the magazines (publications) I mentioned that the first issue of G&A Silencers mentioned two sets of similar gloves, the Oveglove which can handle temperatures up to 540 degrees and the grillheataid which is thicker can handle up to 932 degrees.

Obviously, it would be simple to just buy the one with the highest heat rating, but that one costs almost twice what the one at BPS costs, so I was wondering if anyone out there has actually measured how hot their suppressors get. I actually have a handheld laser thermometer in my range bag but I didn't even think about using it back when I was trying out my suppressors (heck I had a sound meter I completely forgot about in my excitement :) )

Anyway, I figured if anyone knew or had tried it out, it would be the people on this forum.

Anyone?
With my 5.56 AR and Liberty Mystic, it gets pretty dad-gum hot, even after 1/2 a 30 round mag if rapid fire. I have not measured the temperature but it didn't take me long to turn it loose after 15 rounds. I usually shoot 5, then rest a bit, then 5 then rest a bit, etc. I've heard if you can see heat waves of air over the top of the can it MIGHT be getting to hot.

By contrast, my big, heavy, Yankee Hill Phantom, a 30 cal can designed for 30 cal. can eat a whole 30 round mag of 5.56 before it starts to get warm. I haven't tried it but feel like it could handle a 30 round mag rapid trigger pull, followed immediately by another 30 round mag in 5.56. A person needs to get some positive benefit from lugging around a 28 oz suppressor.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Casual shooting, or trying to destroy a suppressor?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Post by cvasqu03 »

RJT wrote:Casual shooting, or trying to destroy a suppressor?
I'd be doing some casual shooting.

I've actually been carrying a thick pair of leather welding gloves in my suppressor pack. I also have a mini welding cloth that I cut from a larger welding blanket and sewed the ends so it wouldn't fray. I made the mini-blanket in case I needed to handle a suppressor that was too hot for even the gloves, and it's big enough I can fold it several times if necessary to grab the can (kind of like a cook uses a towel to take something hot out of the oven. Though this combination worked well enough, to remove and lay down the suppressors when hot, the gloves are very bulky and really reduce your dexterity, which is why I'd be interested in getting something else if I was sure it would work.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I find leather work gloves similar to welding gloves are good enough for tightening/loosening a suppressor under casual shooting conditions. It gets toasty if you stand there holding the hot suppressor in your hand but very few gloves will let you hold a 500+ degree object in your hand indefinitely without discomfort.

The problem with leather work gloves is they don't have the wow factor of expensive high tech temperature resistant gloves.

Some people like the Ove Glove from Wally World with silicone traction similar to these from uline http://www.uline.com/BL_113/Grip-N-Hot-Mill-Gloves, 3 pair for <$25 A similar product on Amazon claims to be 932 degree heat resistant http://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-Ext ... B00CHO64NE

Or something more heavy duty for <$20 http://www.uline.com/BL_1360/Charguard-Gloves

Of for $80 there's the Zetex gloves for up to 2000 degrees http://www.zoro.com/zetex-plus-heat-res ... lsrc=aw.ds

ETA: or get yourself some ceramic or silicone cloth and wrap it around the suppressor http://www.gasketsinc.com/category/high ... ls/3001029
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Minotbob

Post by Minotbob »

This last weekend there was a gun show in Minot ND and I was visiting with the crew from Dakota Silencer. Mike was showing me a Suppressor Wrap that they sell. They are made by Elite Iron in Montana and since Dakota Silencers are fully automatic rated they are made with higher heat protection. You can see these at http://eliteiron.com/elite-iron-suppressor-wraps.html or at Dakota Silencer http://www.dakotasilencer.com/product/3 ... ap-in-tan/. I bought one for a Mack Bros Varminter 2.0 in 22 cal.

Bob
MinotBob
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Two thirty round mags of light powered .223 through a 10.5" barrel will melt the Cerakote off of a SilencerCo Omega... Ask me how I know...

They get HOT.

That said all you need is some decent work gloves to tighten/remove the can. Just grab it for a second, twist, and let go!

JW
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

Ive been using a leather welding glove that I keep in my pack and its been fine for removing my can from my 18" AR even after multiple mags and higher speed. Now you cant just grab the suppressor and hold onto it for ever with a welding glove but its more that adequate to remove and set aside to cool off.
There are no "ex-Marines", just Marines who arent active anymore.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Just b/c the material can handle the heat; doesn't mean that your hand inside it can.
They really need to post R-values. That way we know how many seconds b/f the 2000*F causes 2nd degree burns through heat transfer. :?

Have you thought about just soaking a rag in water and wrapping it around the can a couple times? It helps cool the internals through thermal syphoning during firing to hopefully avoid excess heat stresses. Of course, if you get your glove wet it could increase heat conduction. Though closed materials like leather, nomex, ceramic, and aramids shouldn't.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Matyoka
Elite Member

Post by Matyoka »

One of my cans still has my full thumb-print on it... skin just transferred instantly.
Noveske Light Recce/AAC M4-2000 mod 08
Noveske 7.5" Diplomat VLTOR MUR upper
LWRCi 10.5" Gas Piston Upper
Walther P22/TAC Quest
H&K Tactical Compact .45/AAC Evolution 45
H&K P2000 .40 Duty
KEL-TEC SU22 Semi Auto .22 rifle/threaded
Next project: Auto rifle
-------------------------------------------------------
Just some guy trying to make a difference...
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Matyoka
Elite Member

Post by Matyoka »

Yessir, upwards of 800F LOL. Touched mine by mistake and never again!!!!
Walther P22/TAC Quest
H&K P2000 .40 Duty
cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Post by cvasqu03 »

Matyoka wrote:Yessir, upwards of 800F LOL. Touched mine by mistake and never again!!!!
Yeah, I thought I was being so slick when I put the glove on my right hand to unscrew the hot suppressor, then I instinctively transferred it to my left (ungloved) hand to put it down and let's just say I ended up putting it down a lot faster than I'd originally planned. :oops:

So much for looking slick. :)
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

I know mine gets so hot on my bolt 308 it takes about 15 minutes before i can remove it with my bare hand. Even then you can still feel the core radiating heat. I went to bed bath beyond and bought some tactical black oven mitts for the range. lol
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Get some of these.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Mirage suppressor covers are the best for handling hot cans. Main reason why I got one. Scope mirage was actually secondary. Plus they look more manly than oven mitts 8)
cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Post by cvasqu03 »

AlabamaPaul wrote:Get some of these.
So have you tried them on the suppressors? How well do they work?
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

cvasqu03 wrote:
AlabamaPaul wrote:Get some of these.
So have you tried them on the suppressors? How well do they work?
They have worked really well so far.
Matyoka
Elite Member

Post by Matyoka »

Love those gloves... a must have in any household regardless of silencer ownership.
Walther P22/TAC Quest
H&K P2000 .40 Duty
Ecirp

Post by Ecirp »

hardcase wrote:
cvasqu03 wrote:I was in the BBQ section at Bass Pro over the weekend and saw they had a set of knit gloves that were rated to handle up to 400 degrees for only $20. It got me to thinking. Recently in the thread about the magazines (publications) I mentioned that the first issue of G&A Silencers mentioned two sets of similar gloves, the Oveglove which can handle temperatures up to 540 degrees and the grillheataid which is thicker can handle up to 932 degrees.

Anyone?
With my 5.56 AR and Liberty Mystic, it gets pretty dad-gum hot, even after 1/2 a 30 round mag if rapid fire. I have not measured the temperature but it didn't take me long to turn it loose after 15 rounds. I usually shoot 5, then rest a bit, then 5 then rest a bit, etc. I've heard if you can see heat waves of air over the top of the can it MIGHT be getting to hot.

By contrast, my big, heavy, Yankee Hill Phantom, a 30 cal can designed for 30 cal. can eat a whole 30 round mag of 5.56 before it starts to get warm. I haven't tried it but feel like it could handle a 30 round mag rapid trigger pull, followed immediately by another 30 round mag in 5.56. A person needs to get some positive benefit from lugging around a 28 oz suppressor.

My 762SD will get hot halfway through a magazine. I'm not sure if it's more a function of mass or design. Then again, it's only host is a 11.5" SBR so that might have something to do with it.
Matyoka
Elite Member

Post by Matyoka »

Yeah my host is a 10.5" LWRC upper... get's toasty!!!
Walther P22/TAC Quest
H&K P2000 .40 Duty