Greetings! Gummy ammunition - will it be a negative or positive?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Can Fan

Greetings! Gummy ammunition - will it be a negative or positive?

Post by Can Fan »

Hi all! I am new here and I hope to learn from you all, but more importantly, to make some friends.
I am learning quite a bit via this forum, Google and two silencer books. One of which is Alan C. Paulson's "Silencer History and Performance" Volume One. (A HUGE book!) The other is: "Wet Silencers" Author unknown as I left it in the car!

Okay, I have an Axiom on order, doing the waiting thing. It will go on a Ruger SR22 and a FNH 5.7. I had a hard time finding any sub-sonic LR and I ended up ordering a large amount, made in Germany. I'm not near the ammo now, to pass along the maker, but the lead is abolutely covered in a greasy concoction.

I wonder if it might actually make the silencer more silent by turning it into a semi-wet one. Otherwise, I'm worried about gummy magazines, gummy Ruger, etc. Since .22 is kinda dirty, will the grease and burnt powder actually foul up the silencer quicker? Should I try to wipe some of this grease off, before loading mags or is it a positive when it comes to dB reduction?

Alan
batman4706
Silent Operator

Re: Greetings! Gummy ammunition - will it be a negative or positive?

Post by batman4706 »

In a pistol you don't need sub sonic ammo, and it probably won't cycle reliably. Just get standard velocity ammo.
Can Fan

Post by Can Fan »

batman4706 wrote:In a pistol you don't need sub sonic ammo, and it probably won't cycle reliably. Just get standard velocity ammo.
I thank you for replying as you were the only one. On the other forums, that I'm a regular on, I ALWAYS welcome new members. It seems things are different here.

Besides that, what you advised goes against everything I have read. Not to imply that you are wrong, but I'm just stating what I've read from many sources.

The ammunition is: "RWS subsonic HP" I have 1000 rounds of it. So, despite the fact that perhaps I shouldn't have bought subsonic ammo, will someone PLEASE answer my question? A hello, would be nice too.

However, thank you, Batman, for replying.

BTW, the author of the "Wet Silencers" is: "Klaus Rompanen" A good read, so far.

Alan
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

W/o knowing the material, it's difficult to answer on performance. Chances are that it's a "dry lubricant." If so, I doubt that it'll help suppression. Just attract filth to your mags.

You could wipe them off prior to loading. Most people use lithium soap or wire-pulling gel to make a wet can.

And welcome to the site. Many people only read the sub-forums that interest them. For instance I rarely read the Fishing or Survival subs.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
zekebluetick

Post by zekebluetick »

The stuff on the RWS ammo is a beeswax lube, compared to most other manufacturers RWS uses quite a bit more than is needed.
generally speaking most Hi-vel .22 ammo is subsonic in a pistol (with a barrel length less than 5.5 in. in length).
having said that, it is hit or miss weather or not your particular pistol will cycle reliably with subsonic ammo. I have several
.22 handguns that will shoot anything I put in them, with or without the suppressor attached.
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

It's probably just a lubricant to assist in feeding. Wolf match .22 ammo has the same thing. It'll probably neither hurt nor help in terms of sound suppression.

It will probably cycle just fine in your pistol. You have to get pretty low in fps before pistols won't cycle, like the 750 fps CCI ammo. If it's over 1000 fps, I'm sure it will function fine.

Sometimes ammo normally supersonic in a rifle will remain subsonic in a pistol. Depends on the nominal velocity of the round and the length of the pistol barrel. If possible, it's best to just buy a box or two to test before making a large purchase.

Welcome to the group :D

Hope this helps.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

The RWS subsonic HP is one of the finest hunting ammo I have ever used for small game.I do consider it to be a match grade and worth every cent.That heavy bees wax lube is very important to prevent the leading in arms with barrels over 18" plus which is common on competition guns.A dry lube is more common on sporting grade ammo and should be avoided in long barrels because of the leading.

The use of heavy lube is sort of academic when used with a suppressor in a rimfire as its dirty and most people use shorter barrels today.Just service the suppressor on a regular basis.I don't think the lube will aid suppression but it won't hurt either.

The industry standard of 1040fps I think is too high and should be reduced to 1000fps to compensate for free bore boost and temperature etc.You should have no problem with the RWS as I have never heard it go trans-sonic under any condition.Standard velocity is often just as quiet or better than subsonic ammo though I have not seen any sold in years.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Welcome to the forum.

This place is a little different than a lot of gun forums, and a thicker skin is required to survive.

The Axiom is a nice can. I ended up getting one myself after shooting a demo. After we put 1k+ rounds through the demo at 900-1100 RPM, it still came apart easily and was as quiet as when we started.

The comments about the lube on the RWS ammo are spot on, most 'dry' lube is toast after about 18" of barrel, but the RWS stuff holds on right out to 28" without problem. There are generally three places that you might find leading in a .22 barrel: after 18-20" in the bore, around pitting, and in the first 4-6" of a full auto. The RWS lube seems to help reduce leading in all of those instances.

As for the lube effecting suppression; my experience is that it doesn't make nearly as much difference (maybe none at all) compared to powder used. The one thing to be aware of is that the greasier lubes usually cake into the suppressor faster, potentially requiring more frequent cleaning.
Can Fan

Post by Can Fan »

zekebluetick wrote:The stuff on the RWS ammo is a beeswax lube, compared to most other manufacturers RWS uses quite a bit more than is needed.
generally speaking most Hi-vel .22 ammo is subsonic in a pistol (with a barrel length less than 5.5 in. in length).
having said that, it is hit or miss weather or not your particular pistol will cycle reliably with subsonic ammo. I have several
.22 handguns that will shoot anything I put in them, with or without the suppressor attached.
Hey, I can make candles!

Thank you all for the welcome comments and for some hellos. "Thicker skin" is on order. It is custom made, so it will take awhile...
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

Welcome to the forums.

I have a Walther P22 with a Tac-65 and there is a noticeable difference from standard .22 and subsonic .22.
I use CCI subsonic and the pistol will work flawlessly, but if I use Remington subsonic it will start to jam, or fail to eject, unless the pistol is very lean. With the CCI subsonic the pistol never has any cycling problems.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

HI welcome to the forum. The only problem i have had with wax lube on the bullets is gummy up my speed loader other then that you shouldn't have a problem i have shot around 1500 rounds of CCI (cci packs a lot of wax on their rounds) standard velocity in my Ruger mark 3 with no failures. I have tried the CCI quiets and they will not cycle the action they do not have a nuff energy to overcome the hammer spring but very quiet hope that helps.
sickasssig
Silent Operator

Post by sickasssig »

+ 1 on the cci standards they are very waxy ammo but are super quiet outa my 16 inch sig 522 with form 1 maglite suppresor with a monocore if i could post pics i would but im not computer literate so not today but great ammo and never had problems with it sticking in my mags but have never tried the ammo you speak of good luck
:evil: hey watch this
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I have a P22 and use it with a HTA B22 (Wet because its a wet only can) with it I use the CCI Quiets and Standard Vels when I run out, I can tell a huge difference with the Quiets. I picked the HTA b22 because it was the smallest can I could find at the time that didnt use wipes. I kinda wish I had the option to use wipes to make it quieter and to keep the gel in the can but for now I'm going to make a Plastidip cover for it when its in my pocket. I use the P22 for walking around on my Hunting Lease in the off season and they prohibit shooting on the property during the off season. Its a policy I disagree with but they claim it spooks the game (I have seen the contrary on other properties, hogs and deer actually get used to the sound) I do some repairs in the offseason and have ran into quite a few rattle snakes, lately I just use the can and the guy who lives there doesnt hear it so no harm, no foul. The funny thing is that he tells me to kill all the snakes I see because they bite his cows. I tell him to lift the shooting ban and he refuses still. but too far off topic...

The beeswax is something I miss, the Remington match stuff has a similar coating but its not as thick and it does collect sand and grime. We used Remington match stuff in Afghanistan for Dogs and Jackals, I used my same P22 and they gave us a Remington 597 with a really short barrel that had been cut by a pipe cutter, I used my crowning tool to clean it up when I was there, I also threaded it by hand and put a French made can on it and brought some extra mags for it and left them for the next group. The whole setup was nice but had been misused quite a bit for shooting a lot of stupid stuff. I took it away from the guys when someone shot a basketball that the Marines were fond of. The coating was mastly to keep the lead from corroding I believe and it did leave residue in the barrel. I didnt see anything wrong with it, CLP took the residue away easily and since we cleaned weapons every time we came in and went out, I doubt you will have a problem either with a similar cleaning schedule, unless you live in worse conditions than the Kush Mountains.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

Hello, and welcome. If you're new to 22 suppressors, the best advice I can give you is to 1) buy a chrony of some kind and 2) buy several different flavors of 22LR ammo. My 10/22 loves CCI Standard and Winchester subsonic HP (which shoots a bit faster than CCI SV), but my 4.5" MKII shines with Federal bulk, but cycles great with the other two as well. Both of the referenced hosts have a Tactical Solutions barrel, and the previous barrels (factory Ruger) liked different ammo. I find that 22LR ammo and individual hosts are pretty much a trial and error situation.