Gemtech Quicksand .30 Cal vs Subsonic ammo question

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

machinegunkid

Gemtech Quicksand .30 Cal vs Subsonic ammo question

Post by machinegunkid »

Gemtech's manual, which I read today, specifically states NOT to use most Subsonic Ammo, as it will void the warranty. It claims that the Heavy grain Boat tail bullet at slow speeds will yaw through the Suppressor thus causing possible damage. Not knowing this, over the weekend I just spent some $$ on Atomic brand .308 Subsonic (174 gr BTHP 1050 fps) I was planning to use with this suppressor mounted to my SCAR 17s.
Engel Ballistic Research is the only ammo Gemtech will approve. Does anyone have any experience running various Subsonic brands of ammo in this can?

C
BlogSarge
Silent Operator

Re: Gemtech Quicksand .30 Cal vs Subsonic ammo question

Post by BlogSarge »

Hell, Gemtech offers 300blk in 187 and 220 gr subsonics, so I can't imagine they'd limit recommendation to the other brand.

I think you just need to be sure you have a fast twist to stabilize the bullet and try a few rounds without suppressor to be sure you don't get keyholing.