Omega or Ultra 7

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

savage54

Omega or Ultra 7

Post by savage54 »

I already have a Specwar 7.62, but am looking for one more before 41p becomes law (if ever). Several posts here and elsewhere have stated that a direct thread is better than a QD mount, in terms of accuracy, POI shift, etc. Plus, they're usually cheaper to buy, and cheaper to own, since you don't have to purchase a mount for each rifle.

With that in mind, I am trying to decide between the Silencerco Omega and the Thunder Beast Ultra 7. The cost difference, while not insignificant, is not the deciding factor here. I want something that is going to allow the rifle to shoot better than I can shoot it. I want the limiting factor to be me, not the equipment. I intend to use it primarily for bolt actions, but might occasionally put it on a semi-auto (no mag dumps).

From what I can find online, both have about the same level of suppression. Both have similar (not identical) restrictions on barrel lengths and rate of fire.

So, the Omega has the advantage of lower cost, and it has both DT and ASR mounting options, which would allow me to use it on the same rifles that my Specwar already fits. And I could buy a 1/2x28 DT mount to mount it to .223 or .243 barrels. Plus, with the flat cap and DT mount, it is a bit shorter than the Ultra 7.

But the Ultra 7 has a wonderful reputation for accuracy, repeatability, and minimal POI shift. Also, it is several ounces lighter than the Omega. Downside is that when you buy the DT version, you choose a single thread pattern, meaning I wouldn't be able to put it on a .223 or .243 rifle later.

A shooting buddy (who doesn't currently own any centerfire suppressors) tossed out the idea that I should buy the Ultra 7 CB with just the one muzzle device, and add a second muzzle device for the other thread pattern. I could then thread the muzzle device onto the gun and the can onto the muzzle device, effectively treating it as a DT even though it uses the CB mount. I would have to check it often for tightness, just like you have to do with a "real" DT can, but I'd be able to use it on multiple calibers by simply changing out which CB I was using. Not having worked with their muzzle devices, I have to ask - is that a viable option?

Any thoughts or suggestions on which I should go with, and why, would be appreciated.

ETA - if there are any other options that I should be considering, please let me know.
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Omega or Ultra 7

Post by JasonNC »

Id go the Omega route as your Specwar already takes ASR brakes and flash hiders. As you mentioned the Omega can be used on all of your current QD rifles and vice versa. The you still have the direct thread mount for guns you don't want to put the QD device on. I feel it offers the best of both worlds and the Omega is no slouch performance wise.
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Re: Omega or Ultra 7

Post by JeffWard »

My Howa 308 shoots more accurately with the Omega on, than it does off. With a crappy scope, I'm, comfortably inside .075" all day long at 100. That and the Omega sounds great. My 308 is a 16.5" (cut and threaded from 20") heavy barrel, SilencerCo Brake, and the Omega with the Harvest Brake end-cap installed.

JW