Need help for next 7.62/5.56 suppressor.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

NIevo

Need help for next 7.62/5.56 suppressor.

Post by NIevo »

I already have a Sparrow and a 7.62 Specwar which is dedicated to my 300 Blackout. I am looking for a suppressor now to fill double duty on my 5.56 AR and my 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10. I was set on the 7.62 Saker but wasn't sure if anything else has some along better. Was looking at the Saker this last summer and it looked pretty good. I don't want to drop $1k without doing some further research though. My goals are:

Around $1k max budget
Doesn't need to be super light but lighter then my Specwar would be nice.
Easy mount system to move from rifle to rifle
Don't want it to be super long like the Specwar, would like to keep around 8" or less
Minimal POI shift is most important, using on the AR-10 and future Ruger Precision purchase will be key

Should I stick with the Saker or has something better come along or I missed first time around? Others that have come onto my radar are:

Thunderbeast Ultra 7
Dead Air Sandman S
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need help for next 7.62/5.56 suppressor.

Post by MJF1911 »

Why not stay with the same mounts that you already have and get the Omega?
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

MJF1911 wrote:Why not stay with the same mounts that you already have and get the Omega?
This
NIevo

Post by NIevo »

I thought I read somewhere that the Omega might not be the best option for precision shooting. Not really planning on moving the Specwar around so universal mounts with that suppressor isn't a huge deal.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Well whatever you read about that is pure hogwash.

The Omega is the most versatile can out there. Its durable, full auto & magnum rated. It comes with an ASR mount and direct thread mount. Other thread pitches are available. Its light, its short, & its built by an excellent company that has a long track record of taking care of any customer issues.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

personally if you already have everything setup for the asr mounts I'd just go with the omega. That's what I would have done but every thing I have is 51t so I went saker 762.
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

MJF1911 wrote:Well whatever you read about that is pure hogwash.

The Omega is the most versatile can out there. Its durable, full auto & magnum rated. It comes with an ASR mount and direct thread mount. Other thread pitches are available. Its light, its short, & its built by an excellent company that has a long track record of taking care of any customer issues.
He probably was reading another thread that I commented on comparing the Omega versus a Thunderbeast on a bolt action precision gun. An Omega is clearly outclassed by a Thunderbeast for that gun, but it is perfectly suited for a AR-15/10 platform.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

IMO i still think the Saker 762 has the best balance of performance/durability/versatility/dimensions.

Is it the lightest? No, but it weighs much less than specwar.
Is it the shortest? Negligible spec. It's only 7" long with a direct thread mount, and 7.5" with the MAAD mount.
Having a full stellite baffle stack ensures complete durability and longer service life.
The MAAD mounting system is far better than ASR.
Same flexible mount options that cover both QA/QD and direct threads. And front endcap options too.

I would've leaned towards the new Sandman series, but QA/QD/DT aren't currently available on just a single can.
BrushyHillGuide

Post by BrushyHillGuide »

I was in a similar dilemma although my 6.5CM is a bolt gun. I did the sensible thing - I ordered both! LOL! I think I will dedicate the Omega to my AR15/10 rifles and the Thunderbeast Ultra 7 (.30) will be for my bolt rifles. Now, I'm debating adding a Ultra 7 in the 6.5 version.

It's not a simple choice. I'd do some thinking about what, exactly, you're going to use it for AND what you MIGHT USE IT FOR! Here are the questions I'd ask yourself:

1. Are you truly buying this just for your AR10 platform rifle OR could it end up on a bolt gun? IF it will ever go on a bolt gun, I would lean more towards the Thunder Beast Ultra.

2. Are you going to do any serious long range shooting? If so, I think the Thunder Beast has a clear advantage and that's born out by the fact that it's the brand most often chosen by serious LR shooters.

3. Are you ever going to mag-dump or regularly run it a rapid fire? If so, the Omega is the right choice?

4. Are you going to put it on smaller (i.e. .223) caliber rifles? If so, I'd lean towards the Omega.

Good luck choosing - they're both great cans!
tf2addict
Silent Operator

Post by tf2addict »

MJF1911 wrote:The Omega is the most versatile can out there.
I wouldn't say that. The Hybrid and Saker are more versatile in terms of platforms, accessories, and min. barrel lengths. That said, I'm leaning toward getting the Omega as I will primarily be running it on the end of 16" barrel and am a light user.