New suppressor from Ruger....Ruger?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Re: New suppressor from Ruger....Ruger?

Post by silencer_kid »

quiettime wrote:
silencer_kid wrote:well, the funky design means nothing until dbSPL tested against say the simple Sparrow mono.

Ruger would have to be "different", and in this case i'll bet ya the diff is just this wacky design in cast part, and, not as quiet as the competition.
I'll take your bet
you will. ok, when i see dbSPL #'s posted by any reputable 3rd party i'll send you $20 (cash bill) if this Ruger is better than the Sparrow mono. if Sparrow mono is better you'll send me $20 (cash bill). the test is with sub and sup sonic ammo and the final # is the avg of the two sets. example, 5 shots of each ammo starting from room temp with 5sec between shots, avg each set, then sum those two avg's and divide by 2.

but, any good 3rd party test i'll accept.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

silencer_kid wrote:well, the funky design means nothing until dbSPL tested against say the simple Sparrow mono.

Ruger would have to be "different", and in this case i'll bet ya the diff is just this wacky design in cast part, and, not as quiet as the competition.
Did you even watch my video? And Ruger released sound testing videos on their website. :| It's quiet.....I shoot cans 3-4 days a week. I know when a can is a quiet as they say it is. I have no dog in this fight. You don't either which is why I'm not sure why the animosity towards something you've never laid hands on.
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Post by silencer_kid »

Fireman1291 wrote:

Did you even watch my video? And Ruger released sound testing videos on their website. :| It's quiet.....I shoot cans 3-4 days a week. I know when a can is a quiet as they say it is. I have no dog in this fight. You don't either which is why I'm not sure why the animosity towards something you've never laid hands on.
there is no animosity here. what video? sounds from video may not be mean anything, depends on the recording gear.
anyways, just interested in seeing real tests of both by a 3rd party. i think the sparrow mono will be quieter. $20 in either direction for the one wanting to take the bet.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

silencer_kid wrote:. the test is with sub and sup sonic ammo and the final # is the avg of the two sets. example, 5 shots of each ammo starting from room temp with 5sec between shots, avg each set, then sum those two avg's and divide by 2..
Not familiar with any .22lr test using supersonic ammo...
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Post by silencer_kid »

quiettime wrote:
silencer_kid wrote:. the test is with sub and sup sonic ammo and the final # is the avg of the two sets. example, 5 shots of each ammo starting from room temp with 5sec between shots, avg each set, then sum those two avg's and divide by 2..
Not familiar with any .22lr test using supersonic ammo...
ok, make a test. pick a firearm (rifle, pistol, whatever), pick a sub and sup ammo, collect the sound data. not terribly difficult.

an easy $20 for someone who wants to take the bet, no? who is taking this bet?
quietoldfart
Senior Silent Operator

Post by quietoldfart »

silencer_kid wrote:what video? sounds from video may not be mean anything, depends on the recording gear.
This video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Mi_9gPvsj28
Fireman1291 has gone to considerable expense to bring us some of the most authentically recorded firearm report audio available online, both unsuppressed and suppressed. His diligence and dedication to sharing his vast and growing knowledge of what suppressors are available is, I suspect, without equal. Put on some decent headphones, crank up the volume until his speaking voice sounds about like you'd expect a voice to sound at his apparent distance from the camera, and you're likely to be at least slightly impressed by just how painfully loud the unsuppressed firearms sound and how much improved they are when suppressed. It hasn't always been so, as he's learned along the way. Some of his earlier videos showed signs of automatic damping of the audio which is all too typical of video cameras. I am not hearing any of this in his recent reviews. The audio tracks feel close to 'transparent' in their authentic relay of the subject matter. By contrast I have heard shotguns or even cannons being fired in videos where the noise level was quite comfortable. Listening to the .17HMR and .22WMR sections of Fireman's video just now through a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones... well, I have to turn it down for the unsuppressed shots, it's just too painful.

Testing with dB numbers is no doubt coming soon. Your $20 may be in jest or genuine, but I'd suggest it's more appropriately delivered in jest as the costs incurred in running these tests dwarf such a sum. You are requesting a very particular matching of suppressor models for your wager. Perhaps someone would take you up on such a pairing with a proper meter and microphone for the job, at a suitable location, with your 'room temperature' requirement somehow being met besides (over grass of a certain length, outdoors, seems to be part of the standard for military specification type testing, to achieve numbers reasonably close to authentic, so it seems you'll need to wait for springtime weather?), perhaps for a few hundred dollars to compensate them for their time. Or you could just do so on your own, procuring the suppressors in question and the meter and microphone, as you are of course a third party...

Tell us, S_K, does the world seem to revolve around your every whim in other areas of endeavour, or is it simply when you are acting the part of troll in discussion groups? You say there is no animosity on your part. Truly?
silencer_kid wrote:ok, make a test. pick a firearm (rifle, pistol, whatever), pick a sub and sup ammo, collect the sound data. not terribly difficult.

Again, you can not be serious. This is childishness bordering on petulance.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

quietoldfart wrote:
silencer_kid wrote:what video? sounds from video may not be mean anything, depends on the recording gear.
This video:
Fireman1291 has gone to considerable expense to bring us some of the most authentically recorded firearm report audio available online, both unsuppressed and suppressed. His diligence and dedication to sharing his vast and growing knowledge of what suppressors are available is, I suspect, without equal. Put on some decent headphones, crank up the volume until his speaking voice sounds about like you'd expect a voice to sound at his apparent distance from the camera, and you're likely to be at least slightly impressed by just how painfully loud the unsuppressed firearms sound and how much improved they are when suppressed. It hasn't always been so, as he's learned along the way. Some of his earlier videos showed signs of automatic damping of the audio which is all too typical of video cameras. I am not hearing any of this in his recent reviews. The audio tracks feel close to 'transparent' in their authentic relay of the subject matter. By contrast I have heard shotguns or even cannons being fired in videos where the noise level was quite comfortable. Listening to the .17HMR and .22WMR sections of Fireman's video just now through a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones... well, I have to turn it down for the unsuppressed shots, it's just too painful.

Testing with dB numbers is no doubt coming soon. Your $20 may be in jest or genuine, but I'd suggest it's more appropriately delivered in jest as the costs incurred in running these tests dwarf such a sum. You are requesting a very particular matching of suppressor models for your wager. Perhaps someone would take you up on such a pairing with a proper meter and microphone for the job, at a suitable location, with your 'room temperature' requirement somehow being met besides (over grass of a certain length, outdoors, seems to be part of the standard for military specification type testing, to achieve numbers reasonably close to authentic, so it seems you'll need to wait for springtime weather?), perhaps for a few hundred dollars to compensate them for their time. Or you could just do so on your own, procuring the suppressors in question and the meter and microphone, as you are of course a third party...

Tell us, S_K, does the world seem to revolve around your every whim in other areas of endeavour, or is it simply when you are acting the part of troll in discussion groups? You say there is no animosity on your part. Truly?
silencer_kid wrote:ok, make a test. pick a firearm (rifle, pistol, whatever), pick a sub and sup ammo, collect the sound data. not terribly difficult.

Again, you can not be serious. This is childishness bordering on petulance.
Wow..I'm shocked somebody finally saw the progression of my videos. A lot of people fire at the hip these days and complain about mic peak cutoff, but we finally were able to use the right equipment with the right camera settings and post editing to deliver what we think is the best you can do without being there in person yourself. I can't stress enough that its obvious we are not recreating the sound levels, but merely the tone. I also try and shoot slow enough that you can hear the difference in echo reach out on the open range.

You are doing it right using headphones! Thats the only way to get the full effect and pickup on the full depth and color of the audio quality. You can hear the brass casing land softly in the grass in some scenes! I recommend a BOSE noise canceling headphone or better to get the full effect. This is also how I post edit everything.

I have to give credit to my video guy I partnered up with last year. Jonathan Roberts AKA The Tactical Nomad as found on FB and IG has brought a ton of production value to my channel!

Oh and if you wish to enjoy some more of that audio, check out the SiCO Hybrid video we did. LOVE IT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rTJZf64zF4

Thanks for your support sir! 8)
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

"Wow..I'm shocked somebody finally saw the progression of my videos."

Fireman, the grown ups here love all that you do.

Please accept our respect and
full appreciation.

But, your informative compelling videos
do make you an expensive friend to have. :)

Image: $$$ and forms flying out the door.

Best.
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Post by silencer_kid »

hypocrisy all around on this site. i got slammed for saying my ear heard wet can be louder than dry can, slammed for not posting the mic setup, yet those videos dont have a mic setup capable of catching dbSPL of rifle blasts? or did i miss it in the videos and there was a mic setup that was good enough?
quietoldfart wrote:
This video:
Fireman1291 has gone to considerable expense to bring us some of the most authentically recorded firearm report audio available online, both unsuppressed and suppressed. His diligence and dedication to sharing his vast and growing knowledge of what suppressors are available is, I suspect, without equal.

Testing with dB numbers is no doubt coming soon. Your $20 may be in jest or genuine, but I'd suggest it's more appropriately delivered in jest as the costs incurred in running these tests dwarf such a sum.
1) someone says the Ruger is really good, ok, prove it. we pions dont believe vendors
2) not questioning his ability to share what he knows, all seems good, but sound testing needs a good mic setup
3) i have half of the sound gear needed to be able to record muzzle blasts, just need to get the PCB mic and preamp, total under $1700, and it is way better than the LD 800B !!
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Ruger's new "L" or Labia baffle. :lol:

Since it resembles a part of a women's body it will probably be noisy.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

I don't know about the kind of women you hang out with... but that part isn't usually noisy. According to the thread on nfatalk (where there was lots and LOTS of innuendo of this sort) the Ruger engineers are well aware of the anatomical 'resemblance.'
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

L1A1Rocker wrote:Old Man Ruger must be spinning in his grave.

:lol:
"No honest man needs...." No doubt, this would not have happened during his life time.

The fact that Ruger is now making a silencer is a big, bold indication that silencers are becoming mainstream. As far as I know this is the first big American gun manufacturer making a silencer (not counting Remington's ownership stake in AAC because AAC is still a separate company.) For the first to come from a company with such Fudd cred' is huge.

OK, that aside; this looks like a really cool design. They put their design time in. Can't wait to see and hear one in person.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Pretty sure this is a big step towards getting suppressors taken off the NFA list. I have worked in 2 congressional offices, money gets things pushed through, not in bribes but in added revenue in the congressional district. This is a huge amount of potential for jobs and skilled labor commitments, thats what gets things fixed.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

anybody have info on availability?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Fireman1291 you have the best suppressor videos on the web bar none.
Ruger I knew would not enter this competitive field without a top suppressor.Its appears that they have a quiet suppressor that will be easy to care for and with low FRP.Looking forward to the Crow eating contest shaping up.I think its up to 20.00$ a plate.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I love the design. Incorporates several important design elements.

I've painted 3 of the gas flows that probably make it work.

The left side cuts/parts the blast wave, swirls it down and around, then it must compete w gas coming sown the other side to climb up and through/across the boreline. Lots of dwell, mixing, interference, etc. Great 1st attempt Ruger! You did it right.

I wonder if they tried serated surfaces? Maybe they will include guide vanes on their next update?
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

WR, thank you for the clear presentation of the fluid actions.

Makes choosing between Ruger and stellite Mask II difficult
If Ruger's 113 Db rating is true.

I hope folks proselytize Dead Air to eventually produce a 'telephoto'
9" version that could be named Mask II -SL9.
Just thread a longer tube. Charge double.

The Db rating would easily be better than the Ruger from
just a back-of-the-envelope calculation. Who could resist
having both sizes? Look at Historically Leica 35mm, 50mm, 90mm Summicrons.

And imagine after the Hearing Protection Act is passed Dead Air's's selling
a package deal of both sizes.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Historian wrote:I hope folks proselytize Dead Air to eventually produce a 'telephoto'

Look at Historically Leica 35mm, 50mm, 90mm Summicrons.
Do you mean twisting the sleeve to adjust length? Or screwing on a modular attachment like others are doing.

An inner baffle stack that slides forward when twisted to lengthen the blast chamber created by the serialized sleeve makes a lot of sense. An improvement of Mickey Finn's Qual-a-Tech product.
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Post by silencer_kid »

whiterussian1974 wrote:
Historian wrote:I hope folks proselytize Dead Air to eventually produce a 'telephoto'

Look at Historically Leica 35mm, 50mm, 90mm Summicrons.
Do you mean twisting the sleeve to adjust length? Or screwing on a modular attachment like others are doing.

An inner baffle stack that slides forward when twisted to lengthen the blast chamber created by the serialized sleeve makes a lot of sense. An improvement of Mickey Finn's Qual-a-Tech product.
a captive screw with o-ring on exit side, where the threads of that screw engage internally threaded tube (small) where the small tube is attached to the face/edge of the last baffle, you can then move the whole stack back and forth for the length of that internally threaded tube. hard to explain, but i can CAD it later. a dynamic stack length.... cool.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

whiterussian1974 wrote:Image
I find it interesting that Ruger did not index the baffles as it was not needed.The design is a engineering marvel of simplistic efficiency.It would be difficult to machine one of those without CNC but you could cast them.A good for use of all those old beer cans out there.You could brag to the Dem's that your suppressor is hearing safe and green.
Thank you for your flow interpretation.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

"Do you mean twisting the sleeve to adjust length? Or screwing on a modular attachment like others are doing.

An inner baffle stack that slides forward when twisted to lengthen the blast chamber created
by the serialized sleeve makes a lot of sense. An improvement of Mickey Finn's Qual-a-Tech product.
"

WR, I mean an actual 9" length Mask II with extra baffles. Much like the
gold standard K-Baffled shown on YouTube by PTK that I estimated was over 9".
It was BB gun quiet.

Having shot my Artillery Lugers over the years with a snail drum
adding a 9" Mask to my S&W 41 with its Ray Brandes Bully Barrel
would not even be noticed.

"Pimped Out"
as a was once described :

<< http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=16&t=63953 >>
<< http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... %2B+barrel>>

Weight is no problem since I have practiced techniques learned long ago from departed Major Dick Culver USMC
which included squeezing extra heavy steel spring grips, forearm toning by winding/unwinding weights
hanging from a rope on a thick dowel, etc.
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Post by silencer_kid »

Capt. Link. wrote: I find it interesting that Ruger did not index the baffles as it was not needed.The design is a engineering marvel of simplistic efficiency.It would be difficult to machine one of those without CNC but you could cast them.A good for use of all those old beer cans out there.You could brag to the Dem's that your suppressor is hearing safe and green.
Thank you for your flow interpretation.
-CL
care to explain the engineering marvel piece, or are you just speculating due to the odd shape? drawing lines on a pic is far from analysis.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

silencer_kid wrote:care to explain the engineering marvel piece, or are you just speculating due to the odd shape? drawing lines on a pic is far from analysis.
If you saw a snail's shell, would you understand the Golden Ratio or would you require a detailed matematical treatise?

Sadly, I lack the matematical or verbal skills necessary to describe what I see. The Spatial section of my brain just recognizes it. :(

Perhaps someone w greater expressive ability can illucidate what we see. :?

Synesthesia makes me nearly taste it. Lightly grazing the inside of my cheeks and caressing my lingual papillae.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Historian wrote:WR, thank you for the clear presentation of the fluid actions.

Makes choosing between Ruger and stellite Mask II difficult
If Ruger's 113 Db rating is true.

I hope folks proselytize Dead Air to eventually produce a 'telephoto'

The Db rating would easily be better than the Ruger from
just a back-of-the-envelope calculation. Who could resist
having both sizes? Look at Historically Leica 35mm, 50mm, 90mm Summicrons.

And imagine after the Hearing Protection Act is passed Dead Air's's selling
a package deal of both sizes.
I never really gave it any thought that if suppressors were deregulated all of those wild ideas BATFE has shot down over the years could be built.It would also give some relief to owners of classic suppressors to repack them when needed instead of when you can afford to go to a 02/07.

Historian
Just my opinion but I think that both the Ruger & the Dead Air are going to be so quiet to your ear that you will have to decide on features more than suppression levels.
-CL
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Post by silencer_kid »

whiterussian1974 wrote:
silencer_kid wrote:care to explain the engineering marvel piece, or are you just speculating due to the odd shape? drawing lines on a pic is far from analysis.
If you saw a snail's shell, would you understand the Golden Ratio or would you require a detailed matematical treatise?

Sadly, I lack the matematical or verbal skills necessary to describe what I see. The Spatial section of my brain just recognizes it. :(

Perhaps someone w greater expressive ability can illucidate what we see. :?

Synesthesia makes me nearly taste it. Lightly grazing the inside of my cheeks and caressing my lingual papillae.
i know it as being part of a Fibonacci sequence, as also seen in many other areas of nature like human ear, flowers, etc etc.

your point being what exactly, you understand the math that was applied simply by its shape? interesting, we can see you make reference to a mathematical sequence related to a snails shell, yet cannot provide the same for this oddly shaped baffle?