9mm "K" Configuration Cans

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

3wolves

9mm "K" Configuration Cans

Post by 3wolves »

Hey folks, haven't been on here in a while but I'm on the fence about which can to get for my Vp9 or whatever handgun I decide to use it on. Ideally I want as short as possible, but I'm seeing that some new designs are out that aren't much longer or bigger diameter than say...a degroat Nano or a Poseidon but get pretty stellar performance. Here's the cans I've narrowed it down to:

--AAC Tirant 9s
--Griffin Revolution 9k
--Sico Omega 9k

It seems that the tirant 9s is the loudest, the omega 9k is the shortest but biggest diameter, and the Rev 9k is the longest but most quiet. Does anyone have a Rev 9k that they can measure the length on because I'm getting mixed information. I will not be using this for pdw or sub-guns, only pistol. My goal is to make a pistol holster than can hold it with the suppressor attached. The thing I like the most about the tirant series is being able to adjust POI but rotating the piston assembly. The easy choice for efficiency is the omega 9k for how small it is and how quiet it is, but the almost 1.5" diameter is what has me scratching my head because that seems pretty large. I'll need to get suppressor sights anyway, but I'd prefer a little bit small diameter tube. I'd like to know the exact length of the Rev 9k, a picture comparison would be awesome but I'm also wondering if the diameter differences is big enough to make a huge difference. Let me know what you guys think. I'm always open to exploring other options as well! Thanks.
domestique

Re: 9mm "K" Configuration Cans

Post by domestique »

Octane 45K with a 9mm end cap is another option. It's shorter than the Octane 9mm full size and still very respectable with 9mm. I personally would not buy an AAC (as the company existence is questionable).

The Omega 9K looks interesting, until you see that it isn't user serviceable, and the sound reduction is really poor. It seems to me SiCo built it to compete for a military contract. The extra wide diameter would not be enjoyable on pistols. IMHO, it only really excels as a PDW/SUB gun can.

3wolves wrote:Hey folks, haven't been on here in a while but I'm on the fence about which can to get for my Vp9 or whatever handgun I decide to use it on. Ideally I want as short as possible, but I'm seeing that some new designs are out that aren't much longer or bigger diameter than say...a degroat Nano or a Poseidon but get pretty stellar performance. Here's the cans I've narrowed it down to:

--AAC Tirant 9s
--Griffin Revolution 9k
--Sico Omega 9k

It seems that the tirant 9s is the loudest, the omega 9k is the shortest but biggest diameter, and the Rev 9k is the longest but most quiet. Does anyone have a Rev 9k that they can measure the length on because I'm getting mixed information. I will not be using this for pdw or sub-guns, only pistol. My goal is to make a pistol holster than can hold it with the suppressor attached. The thing I like the most about the tirant series is being able to adjust POI but rotating the piston assembly. The easy choice for efficiency is the omega 9k for how small it is and how quiet it is, but the almost 1.5" diameter is what has me scratching my head because that seems pretty large. I'll need to get suppressor sights anyway, but I'd prefer a little bit small diameter tube. I'd like to know the exact length of the Rev 9k, a picture comparison would be awesome but I'm also wondering if the diameter differences is big enough to make a huge difference. Let me know what you guys think. I'm always open to exploring other options as well! Thanks.
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

I have a Ti-Rant 9s. It's really nice. Honestly, I'd go with one of the shorter of the three cans. Short is what you really want.
mtnman

Post by mtnman »

The Rev 9K is 6 3/16" with the booster. I wouldn't want a larger diameter can for a handgun.

tarjas

Post by tarjas »

I was in the same boat, decided on the Rugged Obsidian- paid just a tic in length penalty but, for me at least, the flexibilty seems worth it.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Personally I avoided the K model cans. Last year my LGD got in a 45 Octane K instead of the regular 45 Octane, but when I saw that it was about 8db louder I told him to get the other can.
3wolves

Post by 3wolves »

My main goal here is the have as short a can as possible, but if one is substantially quieter than another, I'd be willing to go an inch longer or so. The Griffin rev9k seems to be the most quiet for it's size, I don't care if it's user serviceable, the Omega 9k is too new, I'm hoping silencershop does a comparison video, if the Omega 9k is still under 140db with subs then I might go that route, it's also rated for supersonic 300blk which is kinda cool. The diameter is what has me second guessing. The Tirant 9s I like because you can adjust POI somewhat, I'm unaware if this is possible with any other can. Basically, I'd like to stay under 7", the Griffin rev 9k is as long as I'm willing to go really. Anybody have DB from any of these cans? I've found videos of most of them, seems the tirant 9s is the loudest. The SiCo omega 9k has a short video by SiCo and says 130+ db or something(can't remember exact number), that seems acceptable for a 4.75" can... My main thing is I want to make a holster that holds a complete suppressed pistol. It's only about hearing pro, not stealth. If I want to be stupid quiet I'll just use my blackout.
Fred Ziffle

Post by Fred Ziffle »

I've seen several people make a big deal out of the diameter of the Omega 9K. Is 0.10" really going to make that much difference vs the typical 1.375" can?
Here is some info. that I have compiled, as I am looking for a short can for 9mm also.

Rev9 (K config) = 128.3 dB Avg - 6" Long
Octane 45K = 128.7 dB - 6.85"L
TiRant 9s = 151.6 dB - 5.07"L
Obsidian (K config) = 130.4 dB - 6.7"L
Omega 9K = 131.5 dB - ?L (4.7" without mount)
tf2addict
Silent Operator

Post by tf2addict »

Your dB figure for the Ti-rant has to be wrong, no way it's 151. 141 maybe, dry.
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

The Omega 9K does just about the same as the Octane 45, which is just about the same as the Revo 45 long, and just about the same as the Obsidian in long.

Octane 45- 130.3 on Sig P226. 131.1 on Sig MPX.
Obsidian (long) 133.1 on P226, 131.2 on MPX.
Omega 9K - 129.2 on P226, 132.8 on MPX.

Same ammo, same day, same conditions for recording. What it basically boils down to is that the 9K preforms right on par with most full size 45 cans. On some platforms, it sounds NOTICEABLY better. On a MP5A4 the Omega 9K blew the Revolution 45 out of the water.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
tf2addict
Silent Operator

Post by tf2addict »

1 dB is absolutely unnoticeable at the ear.

SilencerCo's own video for the Omega 9k states 133.4 dB with a P226. It's silly for anyone to get worked up over a few dBs but unfortunately everyone gets caught up in spec wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4tpj8iH9xk
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

tf2addict wrote: caught up in spec wars.
I see what you did there :lol:
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Post by Michael Black 47 »

tf2addict wrote:1 dB is absolutely unnoticeable at the ear.

SilencerCo's own video for the Omega 9k states 133.4 dB with a P226. It's silly for anyone to get worked up over a few dBs but unfortunately everyone gets caught up in spec wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4tpj8iH9xk
Hey there I love my spec war :lol: , but currently I have a spec war, octane 45, and put in a form 44 my Omega 9K. I think that's people like the spec war not only for the dB but also because of its price tag and simplicity in my opinion.

I like the Omega 9K for its compact size plus the dB reduction is in line with some full-size cans. Just so long as you don't fire led rounds that are not jacketed. You'll be okay. And he rooted for the need to get the debris out or build up just run 300 blackout super through. I think I might have to call silencer Co. up to find out if you can put it in a ultrasonic cleaner or dip then brush.

here is a great video from NFA review channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocV_HRRwZJo
Playhard321

Post by Playhard321 »

@Joshua@CapitolArmory
How would you rate the Tirant 9s? I know its not as quiet as the omega 9k but how does it stack up against other cans out there?
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

Honestly, unless you really need the gun to fit into someplace small I'd probably get a standard length can if suppression is of any concern. Even with a full length can pistols are already the shortest firearm you can handle in a house or space limited situation. Its been a while since I looked at the silencershop testing of those cans, but I remember most of the short ones where borderline hearing safe. Granted 140 db is a WHOLE LOT BETTER than 157-160 db of a unsuppressed pistol - it definitely won't ring your ears as bad.

I have a Octane 45 & Tirand 9 (both 1.375" full size cans) and for a duty gun I would probably rather take a 1.25" full length can because it has less interference with factor sights. If you are really hard set on getting a short can, I'd recommend getting one that is convertible between a long and short configuration so in case you get byer's remorse you can convert over to the other length.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Similar needs, but more options, I went with the Ti-Rant 45M.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
dcashel

Post by dcashel »

I have another option. I have a Rugged Obsidian 45 on order. It's a modular can that can be configured in a K configuation (6.7") or a standard configuration (8.7"). Currently, it meter the quietest of any 45 can.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

dcashel wrote:I have another option. I have a Rugged Obsidian 45 on order. It's a modular can that can be configured in a K configuation (6.7") or a standard configuration (8.7"). Currently, it meter the quietest of any 45 can.
9mm through a 45 suppressor works but it's always a comromise. Meter readings are one thing, tone and blowback are others. It's a grate suppressor, but if dedicating to a 9mm host it would not be my first choice. It meters slightly lower than the Omega 9K that is 2" shorter with a nice deep tone and higher than a Revo 9K which is still .5" shorter. If you add the statement "and I can also use it on my 45 _________!" It would be my first choice also.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!