Salvo on an A5

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

unknwn

Salvo on an A5

Post by unknwn »

Has anyone tried to operate a Browning A5 with a Salvo12?
Long ago I asked a phone rep. at SilencerCo if it would work and he told me "no" , but I'm not confident that everyone answering the phones over there are up on the latest dope about their products.
huanab

Re: Salvo on an A5

Post by huanab »

Still waiting on my stamp for my salvo... plus I don't have a browning A5... so I can't answer your question...

But... I'm wondering myself, why would it not work? Is it because of how the gun cycles? (recoil/gas/inertia driven ?)
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I kinda doubt it without a very big Nealson device.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

huanab wrote: why would it not work? Is it because of how the gun cycles? (recoil/gas/inertia driven ?)
The barrel recoils back into the receiver. Hanging a silencer of the front would really be a drag on the recoil system.

slow motion video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH1vjRlhkmI
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

^^This^^

Are we talking an original A5, or the new A5? The original would probably launch the suppressor after a few rounds. The new ones are inertia operated(think Benelli), and should be GTG.
unknwn wrote: Long ago I asked a phone rep. at SilencerCo if it would work and he told me "no" , but I'm not confident that everyone answering the phones over there are up on the latest dope about their products.

At that time, the only A5s out there, were probably the older recoil guns. ;-)
Last edited by RJT on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I think you will need a magnum model or may need to add a friction ring because of increased back pressure.The original was very tolerant of a heavy Cutts compensator while short SBS barrels needed the friction rings removed to cycle because of low back pressure.
These weighed a ton and a half but worked well on the A-5 shotgun.A suppressor probably weighs less.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
huanab

Post by huanab »

L1A1Rocker wrote:
huanab wrote: why would it not work? Is it because of how the gun cycles? (recoil/gas/inertia driven ?)
The barrel recoils back into the receiver. Hanging a silencer of the front would really be a drag on the recoil system.

slow motion video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH1vjRlhkmI
Ah, I see now. I did not know that... learn something new everyday.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

A suppressor may function differently than the typical shotgun compensator which is really just porting gases to the sides and up to reduce muzzle flip.

When you have a compensator with partitions, like a competition pistol, two things happen. First you end up with higher pressure on the side of the partition near the shooter, creating a push away on the barrel. It's like the lift on an airplane wing but pulling the compensator and barrel forward. Also, gasses that impact these portitions apply force as well. Most compensated pistols use recoil springs much lighter than stock.

I suspect the recoil reducing ability of suppressors work the same way. They should weaken and extend the recoil impuse.

I'm thinking ods are not good on A5, but a weaker recoil system might work, but damage the shotgun if shot with suppressor removed. On some auto loading shotguns with fixed barrels a suppressor might even help out, think of it as the opposite of limp writing a pistol.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
unknwn

Post by unknwn »

To try out the Salvo on either my Light-12 or my Magnum 12 3" I'd have to get a barrel modified for a screw-in choke.
For my Salvo I have the Remington choke adapter array but no Winchoke style adapters. Which would mean either buying -another- exorbitantly-priced adapter for the Winchoke thread arrangement -or- thread a Browning barrel to accept Remchoke(s). (heresy?)
If the Wnchester Model 12 barrel had enough meat to accept a screw-in choke thread I'd have either bit the bullet and bought a Winchoke threaded adapter or Rem-threaded a Winchester barrel already (and -maybe- not be thinking about putting the Salvo on my A5 too much) .
There has been thoughts about buying a barrel(s) with the Cutts compensator modification to see how well the comp. base will cross-adapt to the Salvo coupler, but I haven't found a experiment-priced barrel with the Cutts mod. to try any theory out on yet.
I guess if I can find an under-$100 barrel with that Cutts device for my A5 (or even the Model 12) I would be able to answer at least SOME of my coupler questions, if not the Browning question also.
I hardly think that there are ANY 3" chambered A5 barrels with a Cutts compensator out there to see if the additional recoil? from the Magnum gun will be better suited for the suppressor application.
Then it would seem that I'd be best to find a Cutts Compensator that hadn't been mounted to a barrel yet and get it adapted to a 3" chambered barrel to test out any theory of function on these recoil operated Brownings....
Prior to this post I hadn't considered the adjustment feature of the A5 recoil friction parts and how they could/would affect the ability to operate the moving barrel system of the Browning.
I've just recently found and lay-awayed the Magnum 12 Browning, so now there is that variable to consider in this mix.
I know that since I gotten myself mixed up in this anti-noise devices thing it sure seems like I've spent close to as much on adaption as actual suppression devices.