Need help with my Gem-Tech Viper .45 on a Mac 10. It's "wobbling"

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

cjsoccer3

Need help with my Gem-Tech Viper .45 on a Mac 10. It's "wobbling"

Post by cjsoccer3 »

Hello everyone,

This past Monday my stamps came through on a full auto Powder Springs Mac 10 and a NIB Gem-Tech Viper 45. I installed the Gem-Tech and immediately noticed much more play than I feel is appropriate. I think a baffle strike right now would be near certain. Since I'm a handloader, I have a set of measuring calipers. The Viper's exit hole is .50 of an inch. The round is .451. Leaving .049 of allowance for play (assuming a dead center threading for both the Mac barrel and can - possibly idealistic).

I can't say my method of measuring the play was perfect, but I feel like it could be as much as .07 and definitely at or over .05 making me confident a range trip would do damage.

Removing the "locking teeth ring" the Suppresor seems to wobble no more or less. I don't see any issue with the internal threads on the Viper. The Mac is old, but it's thread by no means look mangled. You can smoothly screw the can right on.

I have a new threaded Mac barrel on the way, which may help. But I really hope that this wobble is "normal," I measured it wrong some how, or there is a "secret trick" that won't require the can to go back to Gem tech.

I'd enlist Gem-Tech's help, but they don't seem to respond to email, voicemail, or phone call... :shock: :(

Much appreciation
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need help with my Gem-Tech Viper .45 on a Mac 10. It's "wobbling"

Post by ericdraven »

yeah gem tech CS sucks as bad as huuuntertown arms

cant help on the wobble thou , but i would get checked out before i would even shoot it , sounds dangerous to me
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Post by silencer_kid »

cjsoccer3 wrote:
I'd enlist Gem-Tech's help, but they don't seem to respond to email, voicemail, or phone call... :shock: :(
are they the type that sells you expensive stuff and then does the magic trick to disappear? i avoid places like that at all costs.
one-eyed Jack
Silent Operator

Post by one-eyed Jack »

I have had the Viper on my MAC 10 .45 for quite a while now. Properly installed, there is no wobble. Check your installation. Jack.