Options for unused suppressor?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Will_M
Silent Operator

Options for unused suppressor?

Post by Will_M »

I've got a 9mm micro can from a smaller manufacturer that is pretty much useless. It uses a very crude monocore. It won't function on anything but my super tuned race gun, and is extremely loud even on my .22's. I know what is reasonable to expect from a short can (4" long) but I've had multiple people agree that they can't tell a difference when it's on.

I have a local mfg with proper licensing to do the work. The tube is made from 6061. Am I allowed to create a new mounting system? Possibly create a sleeve inside to maybe increase the pressure rating?

What are my options to increase the performance whether it be sound reduction or caliber rating?
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Re: Options for unused suppressor?

Post by curtistactical »

As long as your guy retains the original tube and doesn't make it any longer you are within the law.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Will_M wrote:I've got a 9mm micro can from a smaller manufacturer that is pretty much useless. It uses a very crude monocore. It won't function on anything but my super tuned race gun, and is extremely loud even on my .22's. I know what is reasonable to expect from a short can (4" long) but I've had multiple people agree that they can't tell a difference when it's on.

I have a local mfg with proper licensing to do the work. The tube is made from 6061. Am I allowed to create a new mounting system? Possibly create a sleeve inside to maybe increase the pressure rating?

What are my options to increase the performance whether it be sound reduction or caliber rating?
He can put a sleeve in it as part of the new baffle stack. Depending on how the mounting system is built on the can will determine if it can be modified without incuring a new stamp.
Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

Has anyone ever successfully sleeved a can to increase the pressure rating?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Will_M wrote:Has anyone ever successfully sleeved a can to increase the pressure rating?
Yes we have however the ratings is moe limited based on the tube threads than the tube thickness. We did ours a little differently so the tube was inconsequential when we were done with it.
Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

Bendersquint wrote:
Will_M wrote:Has anyone ever successfully sleeved a can to increase the pressure rating?
Yes we have however the ratings is moe limited based on the tube threads than the tube thickness. We did ours a little differently so the tube was inconsequential when we were done with it.
Can you elaborate what you meant when you said that the way the mounting system is built can determine whether or not it will need a new stamp?
Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

Bump.