Suppressing a .22 WMR rifle.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

xwray

Suppressing a .22 WMR rifle.

Post by xwray »

I have a Varner .22 WMR falling block take-down rifle that I want to have threaded for a suppressor. Two questions:

Who would do the best job of threading the barrel?

Which suppressor would be the best choice for .22 WMR rifle.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressing a .22 WMR rifle.

Post by whiterussian1974 »

The suppressor Mnfr is usually the best choice to thread your bbl. That way they can insure proper fit at the Factory/Shop. Otherwise, if there's any problem they will blame the machinist that threaded it. (Warranty claims.)

The choice of suppressor model will have many perspectives. Generally people state their priorities (length, weight, material, cost, use on other calibers, etc.) That way Members can tailor their suggestions to your individual tastes.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
xwray

Post by xwray »

whiterussian1974 wrote:The suppressor Mnfr is usually the best choice to thread your bbl. That way they can insure proper fit at the Factory/Shop. Otherwise, if there's any problem they will blame the machinist that threaded it. (Warranty claims.)

The choice of suppressor model will have many perspectives. Generally people state their priorities (length, weight, material, cost, use on other calibers, etc.) That way Members can tailor their suggestions to your individual tastes.

I'll be using the rifle for small game and plinking. I'd like it to be in the top tier in terms of performance, of quality materials and be easily cleanable...not overly concerned about other parameters since I suspect if it meets the 3 I listed the others will be more than acceptable.

thanks for responding
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Post by silencer_kid »

xwray wrote: Who would do the best job of threading the barrel?
Wilson Combat,..... but any local reputable machinist with proper tooling can thread to spec. just be sure the thread spec is obtained from the can maker.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

silencer_kid wrote:
xwray wrote:Who would do the best job of threading the barrel?
..... but any local reputable machinist with proper tooling can thread to spec. just be sure the thread spec is obtained from the can maker.
Be sure that they understand bore-concentricity instead of barrel concentricity. If they just thread the outside, the bore may be off-center.

Using a laser bore-sighter and making sure that it doesn't wobble much against a wall 20+ feet away is extremely important. Otherwise you'll risk baffle strike or loss of accuracy.

http://blog.silencershop.com/picking-ri ... uppressor/ This should help until members weigh in.

"If you want to suppress either .22 Mag or .17 HMR, then you’ll be looking at either stainless steel or titanium suppressors since they can handle the higher pressures. In some cases, they can even suppress the 5.7 FN!
•AAC Element 2 – The Element 2 will handle .22 Mag and .17 HMR.
•SWR Spectre II – The Spectre II will handle .22 Mag, .17 HMR, and 5.7 FN
•Silencerco Sparrow – The Sparrow will handle .22 Mag, .17 HMR, and limited 5.7 FN
•Liberty Kodiak TL / Essence – The Liberty suppressors will handle .22 Mag and .17 HMR"
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Post by silencer_kid »

whiterussian1974 wrote:Be sure that they understand bore-concentricity instead of barrel concentricity. If they just thread the outside, the bore may be off-center.
+1 on that. machinist has several options to cut the major diameter to bore centric (aka "bore coaxial").
but that simple ask may have a machinist asking you "co-axial how far back down the bore, this bore has some bend in it", it's just co-axial for the length of the cut, etc.
xwray

Post by xwray »

Good feedback guys - thanks
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

I vote for the Spectre II for a .22 Mag. It's beefy, fairly lightweight, affordable and the CTA baffles will work well with the supersonic .22 mag.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I use my Spectre II on a 17 HMR and it sounds pretty good.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K